The Spursy Thread

Mark Goldbridge was hypothesising that this would happen (Utd beat Spurs , Nuno out , Conte in) last week , and despairing over how Utd’s board’s indecision would leave them saddled with Olé when they could have got Conte. I thought it sounded a bit far fetched at the time but there you go , he was bob on. (Can’t wait to hear his latest rantings.)

3 Likes

I know a couple of Spurs fans and they are convinced Pochettino is destined to return one day.

I suspect the brief stint at Spurs won’t really affect Nuno’s standing in the game. He went to a club with some issues, as their star man wanted out. He managed for a few games, some wins, some loses, within touching distance of Europe while barely having a chance to do anything much yet.

Not sure what the future holds for him, and if he wants to work there will be a choice of jobs, or he may want a break.

2 Likes

Presumably when King Arthur takes over as chairman…

1 Like

Baffled by this club

1 Like

I forgot to add, my two Spurs friends are also a bit deluded.

1 Like

It really does feel like they haven’t the faintest fecking clue what they’re doing.

lol, I say.

LOL!

2 Likes

Levy spending? Yeah…That will happen

I think that entire fan base really is in this era. You still see their fans praising Levy and the stadium, claiming Spurs are a well-run club.

I tell you, I have never been to White Hart Lane, but it must have been pretty crap for the amount of good will the white elephant replacement has generated for Levy.

White Hart Lane was a dump and the capacity was only 35,000.

1 Like

True, but a great name for a ground.

2 Likes

I actually think with the tools available Conte has a shorter trip to success with Spurs than he’d have at Utd. Part of that is that the bar is lower for what would be considered success (CL qualification vs title), but I also think Spurs as a squad are just closer to what he needs to be able to get them playing the way he wants. There is less talent at Spurs, but they are all at least solid players that he can choose from to mold quickly into his team. At utd it would cause civil war for him to make the changes he’d need to see to be happy about the way theyre playing.

As for Nuno, back at Wolves before the end of the season?

Regarding Conte, I also think too much is made of his combustible approach. He’s a fighter, but his approach doesnt necessarily result in burned bridges the way Jose’s does. I think Chelsea is really the only one where it went properly wrong, and that was largely because a fall out with Costa they were unable to replace his goals and the results fell off a cliff. Can you really put a fall out with Costa at his feet? Or the choices they made to try to replace Costa and overall strengthen the side?

5 Likes

Personally I think Conte is a good manager.

It will be interesting to see how it goes at Spurs.

Personally I can see Levy Interfearing too much for Conte liking so I think it will go a similar way to Mourinho.

The biggest problem at Spurs is Harry Kane and until he fucks off they’ll achieve nothing

Harry Kane would probably stick this season for Conte. He’s got to repair his reputation if he wants to get a big money move. City could even go for a Toney and still get a decent enough striker for their purposes.

1 Like

Anyway , always liked conte as a character and think he’s a very good manager who does something very well in terms of short term signings.

Good that he didn’t sign for Man Utd.

2 Likes

And he’s probably only messed up at Chelsea. The other clubs , it was more of the club to blame for him getting tbe sack.

Cant blame conte when inter Milan didnt want to strengthen over the summer.

I really hope that the talk of Spurs wanting from Nuno to abandon his 3 at the back system from Wolves wasn’t true, that would be baffling to hear from a top level club. If they asked for a more brave approach, then fine. There was talk that Paratici actually liked Nuno from his Valencia days, where he played 4 at the back and positive football.

Because now Conte comes in and he’ll try and do what he always does, both with his formation and stye of football. I can’t believe when I hear bloody clubs like Spurs arguing over formations. F*ck formations, it’s the style of play that matters. They’re not Barca and even there, the formation variates even under someone like Pep (from 4-3-3 to 3-4-3, etc.).

1 Like

He went up in my estimation.

A lot of manager would stay and just moan that they weren’t being backed - at least he had the bollocks to fuck off

I think the reality is even fairer to him that that. It was made very very clear that to pay bills his squad was going to be ripped apart. He reasonably decided that he’d won them the league and wanted nothing to do with the salvage operation that would be left.

2 Likes