The Spursy Thread

Conte presumably wanted assurances that his squad would not be sold etc etc and he’d be allowed to bring in new transfers. Guess he saw how Kane was playing this season and realized that if he got 120M of transfers incoming , he’ll have a fair charge at the europa league places this year.

He’ll get at least 2-3 players from Inter Milan for sure.

I think several managers are good managers, some are excellent and a very, very few epic (like Klopp, Ferguson etc.).
But even the best of them don’t always succeed even if they were nigh flawless in other clubs. Different club cultures, different player groups, different atmosphere; some of the best will fail at a new club. Therefore it is impossible to say if Conte will lift Spurs. I think Nuno is a very good manager for what it is worth; but his approach certainly failed with Spurs.
But of course, some managers are better than others and will have have a greater chance of success due to that. Charisma and natural authority also helps a lot I think. I think many otherwise really, really good managers falls short there, contributing to failure. But again, it depends on club culture, atmosphere, player group, coaches, set up, a lot.

WIll Conte be a success at Spurs? We’ll see, but given their culture and fan base (they want offensive footie), I agree with old Norwegian Tottenham goalie and Tottenham fan, Erik Thorstvedt, that Graham Potter would probably be a much better fit. He is the one I would have gone for. Levy is playing with fire hiring more reactionary tacticians; their fans won’t like it. Even so, maybe Conte will be a crushing success, who knows. So difficult to say for sure.

1 Like

If he goes there and uses his 343 I think Spurs actually have the players that will suit that system, although finding a midfield partner for Hojbjerg might be a bit of an issue.

First thing he could to immediately improve them would be to banish Eric Dier to the shadow realm.

2 Likes

Or sell him to Newcastle. Same thing, really.

3 Likes

Think it might initially be more of a 3-5-2 with more like 3 midfielders (like it was mainly at Inter), one with licence to go forward more. Probably a base of Hojbjerg & Skipp. With the likes of Ndombele, Celso and Alli competing for that third spot. Kane and Son as a duo up top.

Nuno’s approach may have failed at Spurs but frankly we will never know I’m sorry but three months is hardly any time

3 Likes

The underlying numbers for him were woefully bad though, almost as bad offensively as United are defensively.

1 Like

Managers aren’t even getting time though, evidently they never wanted him so they’ve just wasted shit loads of money might as well offered it to an interim a club legend to fill the gap or someone like Mason.

Fact Ole’s numbers are close to Klopp’s is because in Klopp’s first 100 games there were some woeful performances.

Spurs players throwing the game on Saturday so they get Conte and keep Ole in a job.

Think About It Reaction GIF by Identity

3 Likes

7 Likes

I reckon we’ll be seeing him doing this often at Spurs:

Antonio Conte GIF by Sporza

2 Likes

Nuno always seemed far too nice a guy for Spurs

2 Likes

Spurs fans creaming their pants and getting excited about Conte makes me laugh.

Conte refused Spurs in the summer because I assume Levy and him were far apart on what they want to do. 4 months later, I suspect Levy has had to go crawling back to Conte, and give him more money (wages or transfer budget).

I look forward to Levy’s “gentleman’s agreement” being as good as a wet paper bag as per usual and it all falling apart. Unless we think Levy will fully get behind Conte?!

The 18 month contract just about sums it up.

4 Likes

It’s not confirmed yet?

What the hell has happened to Daniel Levy? This will be the third manager in a row who is not right for Spurs.

Nothing. He’s just being his usual c*ntish self, just simply manifesting in a different form this time round.

1 Like

Apparently signed and sealed…

Yep, Conte has been confirmed.

Meanwhile, Toon fans are dreaming of…Unai Emery?!?

It is sort of surprising that Newcastle didn’t take a hard run at Conte