The Steven Gerrard Thread

His dad sounds like a nice chap.

The key sentence in the article for me is this:

“There is no suggestion that Lee Byrne, Lilly, her dad Steven or any of the Gerrard family have any involvement in crime.”

Obviously Liam Byrne is a wrong ‘un and is deservedly behind bars. But unless there is evidence about Lee, he can’t be blamed for who his dad is.

1 Like

Hopefully gets convicted soon and then the media won’t have to post that after his name. As much of a wrong-un as the dad

I defer to your knowledge, as I know nothing about it.

Just offering a sense of fair play, that if a person’s dad is a scumbag, it doesn’t necessarily follow that they are, or the girlfriend, or the girlfriend’s dad, which is the name I’m interested in here.

Still, if evidence comes out and he is convicted, I hope he goes down.

3 Likes

The Atlantic is reporting that Gerrard has agreed a two-year contract extension at Al Ettifaq.

At least he isn’t disappointed by life in Saudi Arabia. I assume that they play non-stop Phil Collins to keep him onside.

1 Like

He lives in Bahrain and commutes, though I doubt life there is much different/any better.

His ambition as a manager must be in the toilet if he’s accepted that offer.

Contrarily to Hendo, he’s obviously addicted to the oil money, and unwilling to change tack.

If anything his reasons for joining was worse, saying he felt welcomed like family there

Bahrain for expats is much much better than living in Saudi. No comparison.

1 Like

I gut feeling is Stevie G knows his managerial career is not going to go the way he would have wanted (winning the PL with Liverpool), and he’s just happy enough to take the money and set his life/familes life up. Of course, you could argue their lives are already set up, and now it’s just a case of greed.

Who knows, maybe he will be giving a large chunk of his money to charity.

I’m sure I read somewhere a few months back that one of his kids is going out with the child of some serious gangsters/criminals, and he hangs out with them.

The hope I had of him one day managing Liverpool is long gone - he would just be another Frank Lampard if he came here.

2 Likes

That kind of thing has always followed Gerrard around.

Their having a Darts tournament there this week, perhaps he will show up at that.

Yeah, it’s clear that Gerrard’s managerial career was over after Villa. His only hope would have been to go to a lower championship side and work his arse off to get them promoted. Obviously he didn’t fancy that and took the easy money.
Henderson feels he can still play at a decent level and Ajax agree. Personally, I strongly doubt it.
The timing of Gerrard’s extension and Henderson leaving hints at a falling out between them though.

1 Like

It was not over. But agree the easy path to the decent jobs were, leaving him having to go some steps backwards into the unglamour jobs where he could rebuild reputation if he wanted opportunities at jobs like villa again, or better. That he took the Saudi money rather than one of those jobs is possibly a pretty good indicator of him never being cut out for it in the first place

What I said.

It’s weird that he’s got an extension with the club becalmed mid table. Some strange things going on behind the scenes.

I was disagreeing with this bit…

I would imagine they are finding the recruitment not as easy as they hoped, and so desperate to lock down the ones they’ve already snagged

Reminds me of…

Steve Cooper has signed a new contract with Nottingham Forest until 2025 . The sudden renewal of Cooper’s deal, which was due to expire at the end of this season, was unexpected after five straight defeats and represents a significant vote of confidence for the under-pressure manager from the owner…

Gerrard cant cope with Hendo walking round with his pl winners medal on?

Pretty sure it’s also no coincidence that he extended his contract few days before Jürgen made his decision to leave official.