The TAN Alternative World Cup

I think you missed the key to my post being pisstaking.

England 2014 failed to get out of their group which included Uruguay, Italy and Costa Rica

And the Brazil 1974 team are ranked as the worst ever Brazil side

Whole generations of my countrymen have been through wars, sanctions, poverty and NATO bombing - but a lot of them will claim that Mijatović hitting the crossbar from the penalty in that game is one of the worst moments of their lives. The guy won Real Madrid a European Cup (and is a smart, decent, though a bit arrogant fella all round), yet everyone think only of that penalty whenever he’s mentioned.

I’m never getting over that miss, you know, and while Netherlands have always been something of my second team in World Cups (I really, really have so much respect for your understanding of football and the way you develop players - even though a lot of very good ones played for Man United), I hope we’ll manage beat you someday (and hopefully in volleyball’s Euro final as well, because of 1997). Yes, I’m a sad bastard with a long memory of bad moments but I was a kid back then and football, basketball and volleyball got my generation through a whole lot of difficult times!

6 Likes

I can sponsor the Seagull TAN World Cup

4 Likes

What is the TAXI CUP…! :0)

I’ve added a few of my own selections, so we have 22 at the moment:

France 1998

Spain 2010

Italy 1982

Netherlands 1990

Argentina 1978

Scotland 1978

West Germany 1974

Netherlands 1974

Brazil 1970

Netherlands 1998

Belgium 1986

Hungary 1954

Austria 1934

USSR 1986

Denmark 1986

Argentina 1986

Yugoslavia 1990

Bulgaria 1994

Argentina 2002

Uruguay 2010

Republic Of Ireland 1994

Romania 1994

Ten more and we can have eight groups.

3 Likes

Scotland - 1967 World Cup winners.

1 Like

Wales '58. :face_with_peeking_eye:

1 Like

Iran 1998
Senegal 2002
Ghana 2010

Austria 34 ?!

No one mentioned England 1966?

1 Like

One for the football historians. :sunglasses:

1 Like

ok… just to fill it up i will go with the Greece Euro team 2004, i really loved how they, starting as an underdog, went all the way to the final and beat Portugal that time in Lisbon.

1 Like

You are talking about Euro, right?

1 Like

Portugal 66. Eusebio magic until kicked and fouled out.

2 Likes

Yep sry… i edited it now. but ok…it wasn´t a world cup, my bad and wouldnt count . what a shame.

North Korea :north_korea:

Most of my favorites are already in … ok then, after taking another look, i want to add the West Germany Team of 1954 of course.

:upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Brazil 82
Zico, Socrates, Eder…
Best team not to win a World Cup

2 Likes

And they couldn’t even beat Oireland (and nominally finished below them in the group so went out to Germany in the rnd of 16).