The thread for jokes that don’t meet Flobs’ exacting standards

bored christopher walken GIF

2 Likes

2 Likes

4 Likes

2 Likes

2 Likes

Give a man a plane ticket and he will fly for a day.

Push him out of a plane at 30,000 feet and he will fly for the rest of his life

That’s not nice.

1 Like

Perhaps, but I think we have every right to be given what we see and hear most days. Plus as a language, English is pretty daft sometimes.

2 Likes

From my vast experience knowing 2 languages pretty badly, English and French, I would hazard that all languages are pretty daft quite a lot of the time.

English is definitely a weirder language than most - a product of just how many different languages it has absorbed from along the way. The orthography is like a practical joke.

1 Like

Never seemed as bad as what the LL convention did to the welsh language Llan, or even the French language ill (eee). :rofl:

Imagine having to learn the pronunciation of OUGH in the English language? How many variants are there?
Enough,
Though,
Through,
Thought,
Cough,
:thinking::nerd_face:

1 Like

That is just a different sound for letters than we expect as English speakers, but it is consistent. Consider the sound a C makes in the term ‘Pacific Ocean’.

and then there are absurdities like ‘Shrewsbury’. That’s just taking the piss

1 Like

:thinking::+1::nerd_face:

What’s absurd about Shrewsbury?

1 Like

The posh cunts who pronounce it Shrowsbury. What’s the club’s mascot? A shrow? No, a bloody SHREW!!!

2 Likes

On language, I’m with Eddie:

1 Like

Fine. Worcestershire then. At least Krzyzewski (Sha-shef-ski) is internally consistent with the language.

Not really as it was a latin convention when writing a foriegn language to put LL in the place of any sound that didn’t exist in latin. So those letters don’t have any root significance in the language they are used in, they are anomolies.