The thread for jokes that don’t meet Flobs’ exacting standards

there’s a major thoroughfare near my home called Lougheed Highway

we pronounce it as Low-heed. screws up the Brits that visit

Although I am not a native speaker, English is easy compared to Dutch I hear all the British and Irish say in my local, I disagree but perhaps it is because I’m Dutch … :innocent:

Works both ways, that. Many moons ago while backpacking through Oz, me and the missus arrived at one out-of-the-way train station and asked a bemused stationmaster for a pair of tickets to a place called “Byoo-lah-de-lah” (which was spelled Beuladelah).

He looked me in the eye, and completely deadpan replied: “Sorry mate, don’t think we’ve got any trains headed there, but I can give you a couple for Byoo-ler-dee-lah if you like”.

I felt extremely small.

and then there is Dún Laoghaire, I had great fun hearing my wife ask a taxi driver to take us there. Dun Lowg-a-hairy

People in the Dublin area seem to get the pronunciation wrong too, should be Doon, not Dun.

Yeah Dubliners say Dun Leary - ie. that is the correct pronunciation

1 Like

“For sure”, as Steve McClaren would say.

Fixed for accuracy

Nah, it has a fada. Dubliners have just been anglicized and have forgotten that it is ‘Doon’. If we let that precedent slide and accept that the way the people who live there pronounce it is correct, there will be no stopping the English…

1 Like

Never seen that used in ‘english’ before, ok it’s Irish. Thanks, I looked it up.
Apparently it means ‘fairy’ in portugese, of course down here in the south of France it’s used a lot and has a very different meaning. Je suis un fada de LFC!

I don’t thonk ive ever heard anyone in person,from dublin or beyond call it Dún Laoghaire as it is easier to say Dun leary.

1 Like

Yeah, there is no point if no one knows where it is when you pronounce it correctly. I just find it amusing that the Laoghaire part seems to be a regional joke (as with my wife’s pronunciation), sometimes with a careful explanation of the Irish sounds, and the fada is completely ignored.

Success is like being pregnant

Everyone always congratulates you, but none of them know how many times you’ve gotten fucked

Exactly. Also got to allow for it being a middle class area where (at least traditionally - I can’t speak for 21 century and any possible woke transformation?) Oirish pronunciation was not overly stressed.

My experience with Dublin as a child (albeit in Ballsbridge) in the 80s was that a more received ‘english’ pronunciation (with an irish lilt of course) was strongly favoured and a myopic view was taken of any deviations lest the speaker potentially be from ‘norf dublen’. God I’m glad my parents emigrated to 'straya.

Im from north dublin😒

Exactly! The shite myopic small mindedness of middle class 1980s dublin. I’m sure its vastly improved now but back there as a child of (relatively) progressive parents there was still this petty bourgeois thing happening - perhaps because Dublin was such an economically depressed place pre celtic tiger.

4 Likes

So close to a Darwin award candidate. So close.

1 Like

One way to plow your lawn. :rofl:

I bet they are now in his bedroom. :rofl:

1 Like
4 Likes