The Trials of Donald J Trump

If it ever ends it will have been the best movie the US ever made.

2 Likes

To be fair, Perry Mason would have been far more fun if he had followed the same play book as Blanche here :rofl:

2 Likes

That tweet reads to me like Trump wrote it for him when he was down at MAL saving his own skin and told him to post it if he was found guilty. The truly astounding thing is that it probably wasn’t and he decided to do it of his own volition.

Wtf is he actually saying here ; That the whole thing was somehow engineered by Biden to scupper his electoral chances ? It’s preposterous on its face. And presumably if he believes that then he also believes that Trump didn’t incite Jan 6 or have anything to do with the preceding coup attempt. And he must believe that Trump didn’t intend to take all those classified documents down to Florida. And he must think that the phone call to Brad Raffensberger down in Georgia was perfect.

So this is where the GOP is now. To hang onto any office you hold you must pretend to believe in all of Trump’s lies and you must be willing to spout them in public in his defence.

I actually thought that Johnson had a moment when he got the Ukraine bill through but his performance here has been shameful.

4 Likes

I’m not that surprised, wasn’t Johnson a Trump’s pick for house leader (not sure that is the correct term ?)

I think he (Trump) kinda stayed out of giving any endorsement. I don’t think he needed to after the Jordan debacle because the House had coalesced around Johnson anyway. They were already close though as Johnson had been one of the legal architects of the coup attempt.

2 Likes

Took a peak at that dreadful X site. Apparently, apart from the usual ‘it’s all rigged stuff’, the other line MAGA seems to be going with is ‘there is no crime’ or ‘you can’t even the name the crime’ - meaning they can’t. It’s like a disease doesn’t exist if the name is too complicated.

5 Likes

1 Like

If anyone wants to know what weaponisation of the justice system really looks like , then here’s a reminder ;

3 Likes

They don’t care. They got Dobbs and someone who hates the same people they hate. It’s depressing AF. :tired_face:

2 Likes

“Yeah we had witnesses that would have proved his innocence”

“Why didn’t you call them?”

“Not my job mate! Ask the people trying to prove he’s guilty!”

This is what happens when you surround yourself with liars, con artists and criminals. Some of them will have a law degree.

6 Likes

The whole party is in lockstep crying foul over the charges even being brought without offering any acknowledgement that he was found guilty. These were arguments that are just recycled from when the charges were initially announced. They were terrible for our civic health then (a political arm of government not letting a criminal trial play out before commenting) and are utterly poisonous now for showing a lack of respect for the process of “law and order” and because the arguments are full of lies.

Also, you want to get a sense of how reflex the defenses are, take note of how many people are now using the term “lawfare” (the act of using the justice system to damage a political opponent). Once you notice the pattern you see it happens on every issue on the right - one or two people in the movement decide what the argument is going to be and it then gets parroted verbatim by the other power brokers, trickling down into the professional opinion havers, until eventually the base is all using the exact same phrase as their defense. Lawfare today is the same as “read the transcript” was as a response to the first impeachment over the attempted blackmail of Zelenskyy

3 Likes

The fascinating thing is that Blanche is regarded very highly, albeit from his work as a prosecutor. He doesnt have much experience as a defense attorney, but normally that transition is seamless for the good ones, but maybe that inexperience showed in his conduct in this trial. But I think it’s more of yet another reflection that Trump is a terrible, awful client who demands the impossible from his lawyers and leaves them unable to defend their strategy because saying “my client was guilty as sin and so I was throwing shit at the wall” is not acceptable in their position.

2 Likes

I had noticed.

Caveat, I havent fact checked the stats, but it is consistent with everyone I have heard speak who has worked in the Manhattan office that these crimes are their bread and butter

https://x.com/jonfavs/status/1796370294858490027

1 Like

It’s a great shame that the other trials won’t happen before the election as they are more serious and now the precedent has been set, justice would likely have prevailed.
It’s ironic, to put it mildly, that for all the maga claims of political interference in the law, it’s his appointee in one case, and his SC stooges in another, who are delaying Trump facing justice.

5 Likes

And Barr who went to extraordinary measures to shut down the SDNY (Federal) investigation into Trump’s personal role in the Cohen case and other cases related to Muller’s findings on chargeable obstruction.

2 Likes

https://x.com/billyd3_/status/1796363426379469311
https://x.com/PoliticsJOE_UK/status/1796472822388453674

13 Likes

Now, Hunter Biden…

The relevance of which is what exactly?

The fair implementation of the duty to prosecute.

1 Like