The Trials of Donald J Trump

I mean that is a reasonable point, but why raise it when no one is saying otherwise or doing anything to question it?

2 Likes

They indicated even ahead of the verdict that they will appeal, but I dont know on what grounds. You cannot simply appeal a verdict because you dont like it. You can only appeal on grounds of actions within a trial that you can argue unfairly impacted the verdict. A big part of why Merchan was so lenient with Trump and his team was to try avoid any of these trap doors that might open a door to an appeal.

3 Likes

Please don’t hurt my darling Hunter, we on the left all love him so so much :sob: :mending_heart:

4 Likes

I think I have read a few reasons why, and yes well before the verdict so it looks like they were not that confident behind closed doors. Can’t remember them all, but one was not allowing an expert witness on election violations, something like that. There was also something about the Judges donations where he was “warned”. No idea if any of that is relevant or if it’s even accurate.

2 Likes

Well he is entertaining in a train wreck type of way, sort of like Man Utd.

Oddly enough I think a conviction for his son actually helps Biden. Kinda blows up the whole ‘weaponisation’ narrative.

6 Likes

Yeah, pretty much any decision a judge makes during a trial is subject to second guessing and the theoretical basis for appeal. The Judge overruled my objection to evidence being presented I thought was unfairly prejudicial = appeal. The court doesnt have to take them though if they arent thought worthy of consideration.

So they will definitely have been keeping a list of things they can use, and the court will likely hear them regardless of their merit because of the political nature of the case. But there doesnt appear to be any serious debate about the merits of any potential appeals. It seems all the appeals will do is keep the case in the news up through the election.

2 Likes

Although interestingly, there is bipartisan support for the gun charge being Trumped up and only going ahead because he is the President’s son.
https://x.com/ryanjreilly/status/1796232754386059397

And the President and everyone around him is just standing back and letting it happen. And yet still the right try to play some incoherent whataboutism over it as if it has some negative implication for the merits of the Trump prosecutions.

3 Likes

The judge donation was a tiny amount $35, however he did get warning with dismissal.

Justice Merchan said the complaint, from more than a year ago, was dismissed in July with a caution,” spokesperson Al Baker of the state office of court administration said in response to an inquiry from Reuters.

I think Fox News viewers are fed a narrative that he is being indicted despite Biden trying to stop it. Truth doesn’t matter very much over there.

4 Likes

I do love Houndmouth so

1 Like

As predictable as night following day…

3 Likes

We live in dark times when @Flobs is our ray of sunshine.

4 Likes

Our own “Little Miss Sunshine”

3 Likes

Can’t unsee that mental image…

1 Like

Oooooooh…I like this…

@Noo_Noo

https://x.com/matheffect1/status/1796627149031424018?t=YxUPfHUQOJod4j4ICSqh9g&s=19

4 Likes

Nor does Mukhtar, I’d wager…

https://x.com/I_amMukhtar/status/1796584829133472035?t=sXQH49ksv4uLICSIdCOdhQ&s=19

:rofl:

What a legend.

7 Likes

Glorious

1 Like

The “oh” right at the end :joy: :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Gotta say, Twitter has been rather fun the last 24 hours…

Might take 5/7 off in anticipation of a schadenfreude overdose.

3 Likes