The Trials of Donald J Trump

As I have said before, the economy for the lay person is not statistics, charts, etc, it is how much more am I paying for gas, groceries, tax, mortgage, rent, do I have any money left over at the end of the month when compared to 1,2,5 years ago. In this regard, the economy is bad imo, albeit from a Canadian pov, so I am relying on sentiment that things accross the board are more expensive, and that the salaries have not kept pace.

Yeah but that is still as not true as the last 3 times you said it.

Objectively the economy has been strong. But if you want to focus just on sentiment data even that doesn’t support this idea. People may well think “the economy” is not good (although that is trending positively as well) but in the same polls large numbers of people are reporting that their personal economic situation is good. Their lived experience of the economy is positive but they heard so much economic doom mongering over the first three years of bidens term (this is going to cause a recession…there is a recession coming…any moment now) that people everyone else must be doing poorly. A good number of people believe we actually had a recesssion under Biden.

Sentiment data is fascinating, can be pivotal in determining elections, but they do not reflect objective reality and should not be taken as such

I said it 4 times.

Yip, don’t know if its true or not, just my perspective.

To totally destroy my last post by relying on stats, inflation is up. The rampant inflation from covid is understandable and neither Trump or Biden could have done anything to curtail that, however its still leveled off way above what it was pre covid. If there is 1 or 2 stats that the general public do look at, it is inflation and cpi, most likely in that order.

Inflation is a killer when it comes to sentiment. That is true. Even when wages outpace inflation, as has happened with us on average, people are still pissed off about it. i think the primacy of it is explained by people taking credit for their raises (I earned this through my hard work) but blame the government for the inflation and do not connect the two.

Regardless though, even accounting for the frustration that exists because of the inflation, on average people are still doing well despite it and recognize they are doing well. It is also true that lots of these people if pushed, as happens whe; they stand in a voting booth, would argue that a republican would make things even better for them. It’s just the long standing evidence free trope of American politics

https://x.com/acyn/status/1784413854396756336?s=61&t=VxX1vHU3NOwwNhlbyICG-g

2 Likes

With a curtailed court agenda this week , just two full days , an informative piece here explains the basic simplicity of the case , and suggests the jurors will be well directed to see past the noise.

As was widely expected , Judge Merchan has held Trump in contempt for nine counts of breaching his gag order and fined him $9000 and ordered them be removed from Truth Social today. Furthermore he wrote that he would not hesitate to “impose an incarceratory sentence.” for any further breaches of the order. It will be interesting to hear what Trump has to say at today’s whinefest to the cameras at the court.

The trial proper has resumed and the guy who set up the bogus account for Cohen to pay Stormy is testifying.

1 Like

The disconnect between the talking heads questioning the merits of the case vs anyone who has ever been a DA in the Manhattan office is incredible. Every single one of the latter I have heard talk about the case is like “of course we would pursue this. We are the premier financial crimes unit in the world and we live for this shit.”

Brinjal.

1 Like

If I am understanding you correctly, ordered posts to be removed and not him? I guess his next step would be appeal as I think this is what he was looking for all along, an appeal on the grounds that it is election interference and/or first amendment rights.

Trump can still post so his freedom of speech has not been curtailed. He can carry on campaigning too.

He cant and rightly so cannot be calling the judge a Democrat pawn.

9k given how many days that post has been up is cheap imo, especially knowing how quickly social media moves. Damage has been done already.

Trumps lawyers fascinate me.

They’re tasked with fighting difficult cases with someone who is renowned for not paying.

On a business level you would have to question the logic, unless they’re invoicing daily.

Oddly enough , he can actually. It’s just witnesses , court officials and the judge’s family he’s not allowed to demean.

I think the only explanation is that they find the lure of fame irresistible. Todd Blanche though , his lead lawyer here , and in some of the other cases , is actually a well regarded prosecutor , and apparently has come to bat for him here in part because he believes the prosecution should never have been brought.

He does see a fair amount of turnover in his representatives…

I think there are two, and both related to having a vested interest in Trump getting back into office.

The first is the fairly straight forward in the personal riches there are to plunder for those in the inner circle should Trump get back into office.

The other is a bit more abstract but related to the American right essentially giving up on Democracy about 2 decades ago and focusing on how to wield power through minority rule, and unitary executive power is the ultimate manifestation of that. Gumming up the works so that justice cannot get to him for his past deeds before the election and then getting him elected again gives them their ultimate vehicle for moving the country in the direction they want in a way they are never going to get through popular support.

He is and has been extremely litigious throughout his career so I doubt he would risk his relationships with lawyers.

Its well known he doesnt pay. He also sues them.

As ithers have stated they either have a vested interest in getting close to Trump or they see the risk worthwhile. Personally I think thats a very short sighted view.

Wow, that surprises me. My intuition was that he would treat them well as he uses them so much.

Not if things dont go his way.

How is Giuliani doing these days?

Last I heard he is bankrupt, and holing up in a condo in FL. He has a credit card but is on a tight leash, and the courts are about to make it tighter again, as he has been making some unauthorized payments.

Associating with Trump has been disastrous for him, financially speaking.

He also went cap in hand to Trump a while ago for help with paying his legal bills, and Trump gave him short shrift.

2 Likes