The TV Thread redux

From Miami Vice to Home and Away, Narcos to Naked and Afraid, chuck it 'ere.

1 Like

Inspector Lewis :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Midsomers Murders :blush:

Finished S2 of the Umbrella Academy the other night, and enjoyed that a lot. For my money, an improvement over the first season (which I also thought was good). Some genuinely cool scenes and setpieces.

Also, while S7,8 & 9 were pretty terrible, S10 of Archer is surprisingly not too bad. I’d prefer it went back to the spy stuff, though, which apparently it will for S11.

1 Like

I started Cobra Kai over the weekend and it’s great. There was a long running joke in How I Met Your Mother than Daniel was the real bad guy in the Karate Kid and so this show plays on that idea. It is done almost entirely for the nostalgia and plays up the cheeseyness, but it works well.

1 Like

I started watching it, but gave up after the 2nd episode as it just felt a bit OTT with the cheese levels

Is anyone watching Ted Lasso on Apple TV? I can’t say I’ve ever understood the allure of Jason Sudeikis but I’m enjoying this season’s PL tie-in.

1 Like

Yes, brillant really good fun.
My daughter suggested it and the serie I was watching ‘Hinterland’ isn’t translated into French (strangely it is translated into spainish) and my son was visiting so we tried it and loved it. It just has a bit of everything and the acting is good too for that type of ‘show’.

1 Like

Hinterland or for welsh speakers Y Gwyll is set in @Noo_Noo land. There seems to be a lot of malicious stuff over there. (I looked up and in fact the average number of murderous crimes in that region per year is 0).
Anyway the serie is ok there is a background continuous story however each episode resolves a new crime so each episode can be watched as a separtate entity which is nice. What is good is it actually looks like where it’s supposed to be being filmed that is centered around Aberystwyth or at least how I remember it, dull grey and wet. :rofl:

1 Like

Why the hell they chose Aberystwyrth to be Welsh murder equivalent of Oxford (Morse) still baffles me? University town? Not that it features that much in it.

1 Like

I now imagine you as a retired criminal ex-convict drug trafficker with violent tendencies. :wink: :rofl:

Edit: perhaps not so retired as that come to think of it.

1 Like

Most of the stories were set in the countryside in Hinterland. Liked the series though it was a bit tenuous at some time.

1 Like

For obvious reasons I am eagerly awaiting this one

4 Likes

Ted Lasso has been surprising to me. I was never a Jason Sudekis fan but I haven’t enjoyed a series this much in a long time.

1 Like

What is it? Video is blocked for me.

4 Likes

Blueskinned’s link has it, story of the Teutoburger Wald, where Arminius/Hermann destroyed three Roman legions and ended their ambitions of conquest east of the Rhine.

2 Likes

Ha! Who’s playing Arminius?

I did always wonder why you chose that username but as you’ve spoken a bit about your childhood over the years, I can see why his story might resonate with you.

Will definitely give it a watch.

Ah, Arminius will be played by this guy

1 Like

Do we have a separate thread for Netflix???

Not yet :wink:

Excellent. It has long been one of my favourite stories about Rome, if not for the battles themselves, but for the fucked up human side that came afterwards. One of the most consequential military victories in the history of the western world yet he gets backstabbed by his own people afterwards and in his own country he is brushed under the carpet for fear of using his success to fuel nationalist sentiment in a country understandably sensitive to those issues.

1 Like