The TV Thread redux

Watching season 2 of The Boys on Prime.

Season 1 was one of my favourite shows of last year. I think the second season may be even better.

One of the best things on TV imho.

3 Likes

I enjoyed the first couple of episodes of the first season, but had to give up, as the young blonde character was just too annoying to deal with. I het her role and itā€™s importance, but she just really gave me the shits

Iā€™m protesting Amazonā€™s decision to do traditional release so am waiting until theyā€™re all out before starting.

2 Likes

Nothing beats waiting for the episode to show on TV, though, for me at least. I loved that feeling, especially when I watched Homicide: Life on the Street as a kid.

I think things like Lost and GoT would have been ruined if they could have been binged, as taking the time to process would had just happened and discussing what it could mean was a HUGE part of the experience. But streaming has changed expectations and habits. I now dont like watching too many shows at the same time (this one on monday, this one on tuesday) and while I wouldnt describe what I do as binging (I dont watch enough hours for that) I do prefer to watch them linearly.

1 Like

Same thing goes for the last season of Twin Peaks. Now that youā€™ve mentioned it, I loved The Boys and Haunting of the Hill House but I think the latter would be best served if it wasnā€™t available completely at its release, while the opposite goes for former, at least in my book.

Canā€™t blame you for that, episode 6 was a banger and itā€™s going to kill me waiting a week for the next one :rofl:

Covid19 is going to kill us all.

In the meantime watch this.

If you`re not laughing you may be dead already.

Fucking Irish :joy:

2 Likes

Father Ted is an all time great. IT crowd not bad either.

1 Like

On a much more serious note, I Know This Much is True is different and great

Is IT Crowd still going? Yeah, Itā€™s good. But I would put The Black Book and Mind Your Language ahead of it.

IT Crowd ended about ten years ago. Father Ted even longer. Both written by Graham Linehan. Itā€™s amazing to me how many people still like MYL. To me itā€™s just a string of tiresome national stereotypes, but to each his own.

This completely passed me by, but the second series from the team that did Haunting of Hill House was recently released - The Haunting of Bly Manor. They have done it in anthology style, like with American Horror Story, where itā€™s the same team, a lot of overlap with the cast, but a completely independent story. Itā€™s a worthy effort, but itā€™s not nearly as good.

Overall, the story just feels a bit flat, and it completely fails to deliver on the scares. Scattered through it though there is still a lot that is done well. It does a really good job of making you question how much of what is happening is a real haunting or just the psychological haunting that greiving/damaged people experience. The kid actors are superb, and as with all kid based spooky stories theres a real creepiness to much of what they do. Also, if you remember the first season, there is one absolutely superb episode with a huge twist that pulls together a lot of different threads and it completely reframes the whole second half of the season. They pull the same off in this series with one absolutely brilliant episode around midway through. Itā€™s worth watching just to get the pay off from that one episode, but then it just doesnt go on to deliver from there.

And Carla Guginoā€™s accent is among the worst things to have ever happened on TV. That is the real horror story in this show.

This never fails to crack me up:

Best Manc they ever made!

I know its a bit political, but Cloughie made some good points here and got it spot on about Maxwell and Murdoch and this govtā€™s view on Sport.
From the Saint and Greaves show.

Hi Mods,

is this appropriate? I looked at the whole context of the conversation as a whole and thought it was ok to post.

I will remove it if it isnā€™t.

5 Likes

This is a TV thread, short of banning obscenity and personal insults, I donā€™t think there really is an ā€˜appropriateā€™. Your post is even about football! Have at it!

1 Like

Adminius
The reason why I ask is because Brian mentions that Scummy tabloid, ā€œfor his sinsā€, you know what I mean.

1 Like

That is historical context, seems to me to be a little different than quoting them now. Back then, they were just a crap redtop paper.

1 Like

Okay, thank you for the clarification Arminius.

1 Like

Iā€™m not disappointed but itā€™s a level or two below Hill House, which I partially expected, mainly because I knew it wouldnā€™t have the same ā€œwowā€ effect of Hill House. Thing that disappointed me the most, though, was Victoria Pedrettiā€™s uneven performance. Iā€™m not sure if she was misdirected or simply failed to properly grasp the role but watching her in Bly Manor after she killed it in Hill House was like listening to ā€œLoadā€ and ā€œReloadā€ after ā€œMaster of Puppetsā€ and ā€œAnd Justice For Allā€. The first three episodes were pretty weak because she was their main focus but the show picked up after that. I really liked the second half of the season, though, but Iā€™m not sure where Flanagan can take the show from here, I imagine it will be very difficult to keep the show fresh and interesting after one stunning and one good season.

2 Likes