The TV Thread redux

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjAnA9iud2w&t=846s

Binge watching Poirot on YouTube, again :stuck_out_tongue:

It looks like the discussion we had previously on Lovrecraft Country was on the other board, but I finally got around to watching thatā€¦and WTF! Given what I knew of the theme I was not really sure what to expect, but it certainly wasnā€™t that. Whatever it was they attempted to do it all just felt so undeveloped.

Have you watched any of it yet, mate?

Watched the first episode last night, thought it was pretty good.

1 Like

Going to say Iā€™ve been massively underwhelmed with Bly Manor. The first few episodes set things up quite nicely, I thought, but around the midway point it suddenly becomes incredibly overwritten, with 10-minute-long monologues by secondary characters we hardly know, about their history we donā€™t care about. One episode then triples down on this by having probably the most boring secondary character of them all deliver his speech multiple times with slight variations. There were about three episodes in the second half of the run where I spent so much time rolling my eyes and checking my phone I barely saw any of the action.

The worst part is, many of the creepy parts were genuinely creepy, but were doled out so slowly amid so much snooze it only served to highlight the chasm between the two facets. And naturally in a 60-minute long episode, the creepy part was often 30 seconds at the end of one, to get you to watch the next and wade through 59.5 minutes of boring waffle to try to find out what the eff the creepy stuff is about.

Weā€™ve still got the last two episodes to go, but Iā€™ve been so soured on it I just havenā€™t been able to summon up the enthusiasm to watch them for the past few nights.

1 Like

Watchedā€¦ Tabula Rasaā€¦(Netflix)ā€¦ Kept my attention and intrigue throughoutā€¦ Maybe it had something to do with the main actress (Verrle Baetens)ā€¦ or maybe that was just coincidenceā€¦!
Belgium with sub-titles.

Yes, in fact just finished it. Enjoyed a lot of it. Some elements didnā€™t work, but no spoilersā€¦

1 Like

Well, if you think youā€™ve wasted time on characters you dont care about, youā€™ve seen nothing yet :rofl:

However, FWIW, I thought the Hannah loop in that episode was some of the best bits of the entire season, and that episode in particular was the high point.

1 Like

The Germans win

2 Likes

Dammit, now you have ruined it for ZB.

My wife is fairly convinced they were trying to set up a second season at the endā€¦

2 Likes

Specifically it was the campfire episode/s where Owen the cook and the gardener Iā€™ve not even memorised the name of delivering their long monologues that saw my soul escaping my body. The Hannah stuff was better, although Owen still managed to Owen up a lot of it.

The romance stuff also seems to be overly long by the odd ice age or two.

After youā€™ve finished the last two episodes, please come back and revisit this post.

1 Like

Just finished watching this after watching Barbarians Rising on Prime a couple of weeks back. Very well made and interesting story which I never knew much about.

1 Like

@ZinedineBiscan and @Limiescouse I have finished ā€˜The Haunting of Bly Manorā€™. By the end I thought a much better story than ā€˜The Haunting of Hill Houseā€™ let down by certain acting (or lack of it). A very good story that deserved better imo even so well worth watching to the end.
Of cause in ā€˜The haunting of Hill Houseā€™ there were some outstanding performances by certain like both the young and adult Nell. I thought Victoria Pedretti was saved in the Hill House series by having to wear gloves which for me was confirmed in Bly House, poor casting imo in both series. They could have done soo much better.
Anyway my tuppence worth. Both are worth watching, thankyou.

1 Like

Still waiting :joy:

In other news, just finished The Queenā€™s Gambit on Netflix, which was one of the best new shows Iā€™ve seen this year, highly recommended.

3 Likes

Started watching the FX show ā€œThe Strain.ā€ Pretty suspenseful, Iā€™m on season 3 now.

1 Like

What does ā€˜startedā€™ and ā€˜on season 3 nowā€™ mean?
If I watch 4 episodes of anything in a night I fall asleep at the beginning of the 4th. :wink:

3 Likes

I watched all 4 seasons. Could not stand Eph as a character. Worse was the acting by Max Charles playing as Ephā€™s son Zach (season 2-4). Watching that pair made me feel like scratching my eyes out (similar to the cover of the worm into eyes? Haahaa!)

Itā€™s one of those series that I wish I dropped after less than a season.

To each its own. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

HAHA, good point. I started it recently, and continued to binge the show and now find myself on season three. lol

2 Likes

YESSS. I have just haaaaated the son since season 2. I feel like this son has verified my bias against child actors in tv shows, they are usually horrible. And del Toro is one of my favorite writer/directors, no matter how dumb the show gets I just canā€™t quit him! lol

3 Likes

Usually, with story-line about a father recovering from an addiction, and the child with a somewhat broken home, plus father and son basically ā€œlostā€ the wife / mom and have to hold onto each other for support, viewers would have some empathy towards these characters.

Somehow, the director(s) / producer(s) / actors completely butchered that. Not only did I not feel any sympathy, deep in my dark heart :smiling_imp:, I just want them to be killed off, the sooner the better! (I can get very emotional with scenes tugging at my heart-stringā€¦but Not with The Strain.)

Does that make me a bad person?
:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes