The TV Thread redux

Yup, that too!

I watched Season 1 last week, and found it really interesting and worth a watch. Looking forward to starting the next season this week.

1 Like

Just finished Inside Man on Netflix (I assume it was on BBC first).

Fuck me, what a frustrating show. 4 episodes long featuring the likes of David Tennant and Stanley Tucci who are both performing well - should be a great mini-series. Instead its completely destroyed by the absolutely terrible writing of Stephen Moffat. The entire premise of the show depends on failures of communication, every plot point, every thing that happens could have been resolved by a conversation but instead continues to escalate as no character in the show just actually says what they want to say.

Then Tucciā€™s involvement in the show devolves into a pointless side story. Every scene with him and the reporter could be cut from the show and it wouldnā€™t change it in any significant way. Especially as a recurring promise to resolve why he murdered his wife was dropped as ā€œa story for another timeā€ in the last scene of the show (in other words, we couldnā€™t think up a good reason so weā€™ll not even try). They even give him a side-kick in the very first scene, played by Atkins Estimond, and the two of them have great chemistry but immediately Estimondā€™s character is relegated to just someone who listens along from behind a wall while Tucci solves a crime from a prison cell.

The way it ends is also very formulaic and even more stunningly convenient than the very worst of Moffatā€™s Sherlock episodes.

Very frustrated as that could have been a good show, unfortunately the writing just destroyed it.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve never understood the praise Moffat got for The Sherlock Holmes or Dr Who stuff.

1 Like

Yeah, it was mildly entertaining in a disposable sort of way, but infuriatingly stupid in the needless way issues escalated.

1 Like

kinda like how Shameless (US version) was written, or Sons of Anarchy? or Yellowstone? or Dexter?

What?! Sherlock is brilliant (except when they introduced the sister)

Anyone see The Repair Shop last night?

Iā€™ll get me coatā€¦

It was OK, for me it was nowhere near brilliant

1 Like

So Mrs SBYM and her mate bumped into Andrew Scott in Sohoā€¦the mate lost her shit and literally screamed ā€˜Moriarty! Moriarty! Moriarty!ā€™ in his face (just her personality). He was (understandably) well pissed off.

I will see if I can dig out the photo he took with her afterwards. Itā€™s gold.

Potential Mandalorian spoilers

Iā€™ve genuinely been enjoying it, but itā€™s starting to bug me a little. I donā€™t get any show that spends a lot of time and plot on something only to immediately bin it off.
The whole helmet storyline is one such offender.

I was also not a fan of the pirate ship with an actual wheel.
Donā€™t get me wrong, Iā€™d have loved this if it was in the Droids cartoon in the 80s, but it was so jarring in the episode - like, why would this even be a thing.

Also the armorer saying This is the way to everything, When that guy agreed to help Apollo Creed, she was all this is the way. But if heā€™d said, no weā€™re not going to help. Sheā€™d have still said this is the way.

The end music is still cool though :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

Iā€™ve nearly finished The Sopranos, and I want to start it all over again.

So, so good.

2 Likes

Yeah, I love the theme music

the bad batch has improved massively aswellā€¦ last few episodes were pretty coolā€¦

infact, most stuff around the clones, thier purpose, thier moral dilema and the way they are used in the star wars universe is pretty coolā€¦dont get me wrong, theres heaps of fluff but id go so far as to say the last few seasons of Clone wars is the best stuff in the whole franchise.

Ashoka Tano is so freakin Cool

1 Like

When you get to the end - donā€™t stop.

Love that show, used to buy the DVDs, which came out a bit later after they first aired in the UK, so Mrs managed to do the ultimate spoiler when she came back from Scotland. She didnā€™t even watch the show, just one of the episodes with her mates there.
Boom, she spoilers one of the most unexpexted plot twist of all time. This was years ago, I still feel the pain.

1 Like
Not really any Mando spoilers but I figured this out

It really annoyed me when the Mandelorians were pinned down in the gunfight. Ahā€¦you all have jetpacks? :joy: :joy: :joy:

Enjoying the show though

Adrianaā€™s fate is unbearably heartbreaking.

Possible spoilers about The Mandalorian

Also, I hope the Coruscant episode leads to something.

And they couldnā€™t have found a better planet to settle in? Monstrous critters in every corner!

Shame Facepalm GIF by MOODMAN

Doctor Who going panto again?

1 Like