The TV Thread redux

I liked this but was disappointed it ended when he died. They should’ve focused more on people coming forward after he died but then again as made by BBC they weren’t gonna show how incompetent they were to all the complaints they ignored over the years.

Just finished the The Long Shadow about The Yorkshire Ripper. Very good as it was from the victims point of view and the devastation of their families.

Also finished Love and Death about the real life story of Candy Montgomery killing her friend (of the husband she had an affair with) Betty Gorre.
Very good.

The ending to Defending Jacob almost broke me :face_holding_back_tears: (but I also see why so many were let down by it - without giving any spoilers away), on the whole another well created series on the Apple platform…the cast are tremendous and work tangibly so that you feel an instant emotional connection.

Starting in the UK

1 Like

I’ve been watching the Changeling on Apple. Im nearly done with the 8 episode season and I have no fucking idea at all what is going on.

A couple meet, fall in love, get married and have a baby. But at some point in there she spends a few months in Brazil and while there has a short weird encounter with someone the locals call a witch. When the baby is born she spirals off into what looks like post partum depression, rejects the baby as not hers and ultimate kills it and runs away.

But that’s not what it’s about at all. It’s the framing of a story about other things, but I dont know what. Seemingly Norwegien things. Maybe fairies and witches. Maybe trolls. Maybe weird Japanese sea creatures.

I’ve only got 1 episode left and I’m really not confident Im going to be able to say anything more about any of this even after finishing that last episode.

We’re only halfway through the series, but we’ve been really enjoying Bodies on Netflix.

Murder mystery show where the main hook is that the same body is discovered in the same location across four different time periods, past, present and future. As different detectives try to find out what happened to it, it quickly becomes apparent there’s a nefarious conspiracy at the heart of things, and gradually the different investigations start to connect.

Plus it’s got Stephen Graham and he’s incredible in everything he does, so… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That sounds like its custom made for Julika Jenkins, Claudia Tiedleman (the middle one) from Dark to have a role in it :heart_eyes:

Ok, no fucking idea at all what any of that was about.

Otherwise, it was pretty good though :joy:

Just had an advert from Disney+. The 60th Anniversary episodes of Doctor Who will be shown on the 3 Saturdays from 25.11.2023:

https://twitter.com/DisneyPlus/status/1717247151565427101?t=9THwK95wQeE0uLBZWm9aHw&s=19

I’m assuming that this will be available at the same time in UK and Ireland on the BBC.

1 Like

I bumped into Sweettooth and it was quite enjoyable - super light, warm and fluffy but with dark undertones woven in.

Yeah, I saw it pop up on netflix but dismissed out of hand just looking at the photo of it. Gave in and watched it in the end, and it is actually quite enjoyable.

Did the same ad same.

Is it something about extinction or apocalypse?

Sweet Tooth is set in a world in which a virus has killed a majority of the world’s human population, coinciding with the emergence of hybrid babies that are born with animal characteristics. Gus, a naïve 10-year-old part-deer boy, who sets out to find his mother after the death of his father.

2 Likes

Yes, that’s the one. Is there a second season?

2 seasons so far with a 3rd in the works

How is the 2nd season? I was a bit hesitant to start them as the first was just the right balance of not too random and happy - the follow-on is hopefully more of the same…???

I thought the 2nd season was alright.

But I have weird tastes. Many of the supposedly best shows I’ve found rubbish and many shows a lot of people say are poor I enjoy

75-80% of the 1st season will do.

Often series get more and more random as they go on. I was watching Dark the 1st season pretty good and then it sort of stagnates and becomes a bit more random in the 2nd… I’m not not sure I’ll go back to it but may do at some point.

Since you mention shows you didnt enjoy but everyone else loved then I’ll throw this one out - I really don’t care for Breaking Bad at all.

Episode One is undoubtedly a very good premise but the show is way too slow, way too many episodes and I struggled to get to the end of it.

Its considered classic TV by most but I think its an example of a show that really would have been helped by the more modern 10 episode series.

2 Likes

Got through the 1st season, found it great, then got bored…

1 Like