The TV Thread redux

I was hesitant about watching this as I loved the original movie, and Lisa Kudrow’s acting is just too wooden. I thought the main kid did OK, and his parents were sort of fine at being annoying as the parents from the movie but other than the stone henge scene in episode one, I thought it was poor. (To be honest I only liked the stonehenge bit because it riffed on an idea I had years ago for book :rofl:)

@Klopptimist and @Limiescouse …lets have an argument again…

see the acolyte series 2 got cancelled…to the celebration of the ‘go woke go broke’ brigade

what a shame, really thought it was a great little series and deserved further exploration…

didnt even really see how it was so woke either… a black lead character is hardly revolutionary in this day and age…a coven of witches- more cliche than woke…

would have loved to have seen it develop and see a peak Yoda, Palpatines master maybe even palpatine himself by series three… (cheers @Limiescouse ) etc etc…

3 Likes

Gave it a few attempts, didn’t make it to the end. Thought it was shite tbh. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

It definitely had its faults, but it was a story I enjoyed nonetheless and is one of those from the known Star Wars universe that we know fans wanted to see get told. It allows a bit of fan service while also doing something new. It’s a shame that the predictable online criticisms of the show, one that started being aired before anything was shown and had nothing to do with what it was actually about, seemed to now kill the possibility of us ever getting a proper Plaguies story.

2 Likes

Maybe many people watched it a bit and didn’t find it particularly exciting. Is that even a possibility anymore? Loved Andor, other people thought it was boring. Thought The Expanse was genuinely brilliant, for some reason that didn’t continue. It happens.

3 Likes

Nothing I said even comes close to rejecting that people may have legitimately not enjoyed it so of course it is possible.

1 Like

Ok. Misread your second sentence then.

1 Like

Star Wars Boba Fett figure sells for £1m at auction to become most expensive toy ever

An original prototype for a Star Wars action figure of the bounty hunter character Boba Fett sold for over £1 million this week - the figure is just 3.75 inches tall

A rare Star Wars action figure sold for a whopping £1 million this week.

The plastic figure of the bounty hunter character Boba Fett, who first appeared in the George Lucas film franchise in The Empire Strikes Back, was first manufactured in 1979. At just 3.75 inches tall, the figure is just one of 100 made as a test before it could be mass-produced and sold to the public.

Tests were carried out on the cool classic product to see if the firing mechanism in the red plastic missile worked. The test meant only “non-firing” figures were sold to the public, with fears the original design could be a choking hazard for children.

Just 30 of the ‘L-slot’ prototypes are believed to still exist. L-slot prototypes are much more common than J-slot specimens. This figure is just one of three known as “mailer” and is reported to be in the best condition.

Previously, an L-slot Boba Fett prototype sold for over £412,000, making this prototype the most expensive of its kind ever sold.

A spokesperson for Goldin Auctions, based in New Jersey in the US, said: “Of the approximately 100 made, the batch comprised 70 L-slots and 30 J-slot figures. The figures were subjected to some of the most rigorous testing of the time, including heating, freezing, and other destructive methods to test quality, with most surviving specimens bearing the scars of their battles.

Boba Fett appeared in The Empire Strikes Back

“During the testing phase, rival Mattel found itself in a bind when one of the launching missiles from their competing Battlestar Galactica toy took the life of a young child, sending Kenner scrambling to figure out a work around. When the L-slot mechanism proved too unsafe, Kenner commissioned the J-slot with the idea that it would be harder to misfire the missile.”

The spokesperson continued: “The workaround proved insufficient, and the cost of the mechanism, coupled with the threat of harm to children, caused Kenner to scrap the entire project, opting to have the missile welded to the back of the Boba Fett figure. As far as we know, there are only three Mailer J-Slot V2/2 missile examples in existence, with this specimen being the highest-graded example of the three.

“The toy comes with the original business cards of the Kenner employee who held onto it for many years before it ended up in our consignor’s hands. This was the first time one had come up for auction, making it a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to purchase this grail

1 Like

The haters seemed to be the most avid watchers given the amount of complaints that they put out. Unfortunately, they probably put a lot of curious viewers off. I expect, in future, they will concentrate on stories about light sabres and planet-killer weapons as that seems to be the core market.

Anyone who actually watched it will probably view it in a similar way to a vandalised playground and simply say, “this is why we can never have anything nice.”

3 Likes

Is this the new thing? Blame it on the “go woke go broke” crowd when the product you deliver is dogshit.

1 Like

it seems as though it can be…but not on this occassion, the report i read on it been canned leant heavily into ‘that divide’…even banging on about …(i think) the creator being a lesbian or some such garbage, which is absolutely irrelevant in the scheme of things…

im a bit suprised its getting so much hatred to be honest…i mean, i think people are expecting far too much from the star wars franchise…

the opening scene to the opening movie has an all conquering death lord ignore two droids (one of which he made) escape to the planet where he had significant ties, because the escape pod showed no sign of life, it litterally lands near where he avenged his mother…yet he doesnt send a scout troop down to discover…

the show has NEVER been about foolproff storytelling…

2 Likes

Star Wars fans seem to love nothing more than complaining about Star Wars.

Basically Evertonians.

9 Likes

I personally found the premise ridiculous.

These shows and films do fine, if normal people who want a bit of light entertainment enjoy them. If not, they don’t. Strangely these culture war people and weird fanboys are being giving way too much importance. Maybe it’s just easier to blame the freaks.

3 Likes

Onto a rewatch of Arrested Development. Much better than the usual American live action offering, genuinely great.

1 Like

It’s interesting that the most positively reviewed Star Wars content Disney have produced is the one that is absolutely not for kids.

The problem with these manbabies is that somewhere along the line they have forgotten that Star Wars is for kids. It was for kids in 1977. It was for kids in 1999, and it’s for kids in 2024.

1 Like

The Dropout.

Really like Amanda Seyfried and her work, don’t think I realised quite how much until I saw The Crowded Room and now this. The way she kept up the deep voice change was pretty cool.

1 Like

kinda agree…

the thing is though, the vehicle is so expansive now, they can afford to have different shows taret different sub sections of the fans…

slight dig incoming here…but they could even have one about a blond haired all american farmboy saving the universe…

it should be up to the fans to let each sub genre have a piece of the universe… so you could have a gay mardi gras jedi march with pink tassles and sparkling ribbons and base a show around it, and people should just leave it alone, safe in the knowledge the next series will be about a cute toy puppet jedi with big eyes and a squeaky voice…and the serious crew should just enjoy both for what they are… so long as they get the odd rouge one and Andor…

1 Like

It’s an astonishing performance. Not just in the pitch perfect way she displayed the cocky self-assured Holmes that everyone knew, but also the way she visibly grew into character Holmes herself was playing as Holmes started adapting the character.

One of the problems is these star wars shows have become incredibly expensive to make. While some portion of the money spent is returned in production incentives, $180m for 8 30 minute episodes is astronomical and requires it to be an absolute home run in terms of popularity to justify it. Given some of the criticisms were of bad effects and cheap looking sets it makes that figure even harder to understand.

1 Like