The Unreliable LFC Transfer Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 3)

I don’t think he can expect his new contract to put him on par with Salah. He can only expect that kind of paydays when he’s maybe around 27 onwards.

And if Real do offer him that kind of money, then he might be off.

If he’s off , he’s off.

He’ll probably realise that the team isn’t going to be built around him at Real though.

He’s the kind of player like Hazard for example or even Coutinho who require the team to have him as being a key role. Won’t nearly be as effective when he’s being played as a conventional RB or DM.

1 Like

There’s a great case for Trent to stay, and if Real Madrid want him, there’s also a great case for him to go, as they aren’t too bad at the old footy either!

Trent is a rich man and he will get a lot richer before he hangs up his boots. He would probably make a bit more at Real Madrid, but we would be in the ballpark, so I don’t think it will be about the money.

It will boil down to how he sees his career mapping out.

There are lots of great things about LFC and Trent - local lad, came through the system, might well go on to captain the side, we are a very good team and will hopefully continue to be in the mix for the big prizes.

There are some uncertainties at Liverpool too. Where is Trent’s best position? It’s crazy that at this stage of his career we can’t answer that definitively. And related to that, how does Arne Slot want to use Trent? Full back? Or move him into midfield? And related to that, will Arne Slot value Trent as highly as many others do? And from Trent’s perspective, there may be uncertainty when he looks at the incoming manager - will it all click like it did under Klopp?

At Real Madrid there are some certainties. If they sign him, Trent will be on great money, but that won’t be the clincher as we should be in the ballpark financially. If he goes there he can expect to win the league and the CL. The past is no predictor of the future, but if you are a top pro and you want to win your domestic league and the Champions League, it’s hard to think of a better place than Real Madrid to achieve your objectives. There are very few clubs that are a step up from Liverpool, and Real Madrid are the biggest in the world. Stadium, fans, money, titles. It’s all there, and if Trent holds any desire to spread his wings during his playing career and see what’s out there, if Real Madrid come knocking it would be hard for a top pro to imagine better.

There are uncertainties with Real Madrid. Will he settle? How will he do with the language and lifestyle? How will he fit into the dressing room? There will be several ‘bigger’ stars. Maybe he will be comfortable with that? Real Madrid aren’t exactly known for their patience, so if Trent doesn’t settle quickly, will they bin him off? Also, they are stacked with stars going forward - presumably Mbappe and Endrick are joining this summer too - so do they want Trent to play a tidier role at fullback, and just give it to the attackers? Will Trent have his wings clipped, stylistically, if that’s what they want him to do?

These deals never work out, but I will throw it out there anyway:

IF Reald Madrid come knocking and IF Trent is interested, we should try to get Rodrygo to come this way. I suspect his minutes will be hit with the attacking talent Real Madrid are bringing in, and he is an excellent player, who can do either wing at a very high level, and would help to fill a Mo Salah shaped hole whenever that finds us.

2 Likes

The big problem for me is that our players know they’re not on a level field in England, and if City are allowed to just continue playing by their own rules, and get away with it, there’s not much point in trying to compete with them. I think this is why Jurgen has gone, and why there might be an exodus of talent from the league if City are not punished properly and forced to respect the rules in future. The sad truth is that if you want to win things fair and square the PL is not the place for you any more, and hasn’t been for years now.

It hasn’t been since it started. Remember how everything always used to be fixed in United’s favour?

Then Abramovich had more money than United. Then City had more money than Chelsea. And soon Newcastle will overtake them.

Things are not going to get better anytime soon.

2 Likes

the thing with ‘local lad, chance to be captain’

the other side of the coin is, he grew up in Liverpool, its all hes known, albeit in a very priveliged position (now)

but hes a human, hes mid twenties and the world is at his feet, how many people here never moved out of thier postcode?

its an interesting debate and we do sometimes let our allegences get in the way of rational thought…

‘would i like to capatain LFC given the chance?’ hell yes…but i havent known only LFC since i was 9 years old.

its true he can travel later in life…but he’ll never be able to witness football from within another club (of the sizes we are talking) …

love him to stay here the whole journey, completely understand if he doesnt.

2 Likes

We should be going for someone like Rodrygo regardless of Trent joining RM.

3 Likes

I doubt Trent is going anywhere. Also shedding a tear for a Manager you have played under for nearly a decade is certainly not an unreasonable reaction. This topic is going to go nuclear this rumour period.

5 Likes

Journo who is apparently reliable for psv saying we’ve scouted Johan Bakayoko (21 year old winger)

https://www.reddit.com/r/LiverpoolFC/s/nZWpHIHZeh

1 Like

It’s already got better. Newcastle haven’t been able to spend like City did. And City can’t spend like they used to. Unfortunately they made hay while the oil shined and so can sell players to reduce net spend

1 Like

Have to admit, I’m excited for transfer season this summer. Brand new set up from executives to manager is pretty exciting. For me the squad is in good shape and if the manager can sort some of the shape/structure issues that have plagued us the last couple of seasons we’ll be fine.

I do think there’s one too many Emre Can’s though. Really good players who you don’t really need to replace, who have enough talent to potentially captain a team to a champions league final in the future but who if they were to leave this summer there’d be space to bring in a Fabinho and really kick us up a notch.

I think more than likely though they all stay, we bring in a winger and a centre back and go again with a squad comfortably in the top 3 but probably unlikely to win the league, then hopefully build on that.

Up to a month ago we were top of the league while struggling with injuries galore. This team will challenge.

3 Likes

You’d like to think so. We do have to take into consideration how the squad will respond to the new manager, his methods, departures and arrivals.

I still think the scale of our transfers will be dependent on the value of bids received for some of our players, and that would affect cohesion too.

No argument from me. If we were able to sign Rodrygo and Trent stays too, excellent!

Bakayoko seems to have a bit of traction as a winger we have had a good look at, but no news of bids or anything like that yet.

1 Like

Trent is leaving because he cried during Jurgen’s farewell, Mo is leaving because he didn’t look super upset during Jurgen farewell. Love transfer season!!!

3 Likes

Darwin purposefully refused to learn the right dance moves - out

2 Likes

I just read an article today that is speculating Guehi to Liverpool or United. Riad reportedly arriving as his imminent replacement. Press X to doubt but this move seems like it would make sense for us. Guehi fills a pressing need if this ever happens.

1 Like

He’s been linked to a decent move for a couple of years so this seems like the sort of link that people would lazily repurpose. It could be true, but I wont think anything of it until I see something solid

1 Like

It seems a bit mad to say, but I wonder if we’d overlook him because he’s “only” 6ft. Our four main CBs this season are all absolute man mountains, Jurgen and the recruitment team definitely developed a preference for them to be that physically imposing. Maybe Arne is less arsed.

Really good player regardless and I’m sure he’ll be great wherever he ends up.

1 Like