The Unreliable LFC Transfer Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 3)

Is Guehi a leader type? Saying this because the next CB we buy I hope is the leader type. The partner for VVD is settled with Konate and Quansah but both of them do not look like the kind who can be a leader in defence. When VVD leaves eventually we lose not just a CB but a leader who organises the defence and lead. So the CB we buy has to show these qualities.

https://x.com/lfctransferroom/status/1794323040614174824?s=46&t=RNoMfKRsDu9jWhxLlaUiCw

Would be really surprised if we spend big money on a teenage centre back. Would think Quansahā€™s performances last season eliminate the need for a young, long term option.

2 Likes

Maybe Quansahā€™s performances were sufficiently good that we feel we donā€™t need to go to the market for an established player as he fills that role already and so the profile of who we want as our fourth CB (ignoring Gomez) has changed

4 Likes

Seriously hope that is not the case.

Likelihood is we may need two anyhow.

Swerveā€¦

Iā€™ve just read some online rumours that Luis Diaz might be sold to either Barcelona or PSG. Around 75m pounds is the supposed price tag. If selling Diaz means we could afford to buy Tchouameniā€¦ I guess that could work out for all parties involved?! How does that sound? Should he stay or should he go?

Very doubtful we go after a teenager. If we buy a CB, we will look for him to jump into the starting rotation right away.

Donā€™t see Tchouanmeni leaving. Kroos just retired, Modric might get one more year but there are spaces opening up in that midfield.

Unless Real are pushing him out I donā€™t see him moving this summer. And unless weā€™re moving someone on I donā€™t see how we accommodate another CM.

If we sell Diaz for that kind of fee then Iā€™d rather see that money pumped into a right sided forward and a centre back.

2 Likes

Real Madrid have been viewed as the favourites for him for a while. I do see a world where the data suggests Yoro is about to explode, and is worth getting now. When Real Madrid go for a younger player, their track record recently suggests theyā€™re going to be worth it.

With the way Quansah has developed last season, I could see VVD, Konate, and Quansah being the three main centre-backs, and a younger CB with enormous potential.

I get the view that we need an established CB, as Quansah is still developing. I think itā€™s possible the club donā€™t want to restrict his development, and actually give him the game time needed. The way he handled himself straight after the error in the Man Utd FA Cup game was elite stuff.

1 Like

If we sold Diaz for 75M Iā€™d like to see the money put straight back into signing a replacement. Put me down for Kudus. I think he has the lot and will kick on even more now that he has adjusted to the Prem. Pace, power, an eye for goal - itā€™s all there.

There are other options too, like Bakayoko, but Kudus is the one Iā€™d love to see at Anfield.

In the defence it will be interesting to see what we do. If we do sign Yoro, it might be best to leave him where he is to continue to gain experience.

Alternately, maybe we will sign someone like Pacho, who isnā€™t the finished article yet either, but is further along, and he can also double up as a left back which would help us get the best out of what Robbo has left in his legs, if he is rotated a bit.

A winger and a defender are the two main needs. We will probably sign more than that, but Iā€™d like to see us go big on those two positions.

Kudus and Pacho. Ta very much!

Edit:
Mind you, thatā€™s not very imaginative, and doesnā€™t need the array of scouts, stattos and shrewd football people we have at the club to see it.

But maybe they come into their own with a lower caliber of player? Someone unheralded who can make the step up? Presumably the future is in doing well in all segments of the market - top tier signings, unheralded signings, and kids we grow.

2 Likes

Nico Williams from Bilbao has a Ā£43million release clause, and plays in Diazā€™s position. 21 years old, explosive, and although his numbers may not stand out, he has all the raw attributes. Heā€™s been heavily linked to Arsenal.

Iā€™m not sure weā€™d make a move for Kudus, even if we lost Salah or Diaz. He came out and said this in March about wanting Moyes to change where he played.
*ā€œLike a number 10, attacking midfielder. Thatā€™s where Iā€™ve played all my years since I was a kid. Recently, Iā€™ve played on the wings or even as a striker sometimes but Iā€™ve always been a midfielder.ā€

Maybe we could go with one winger stretching wide, while the other winger cuts in, instead of two wingers cutting in. Who knows?

Bakayoko is mainly a RW who cuts in, so if Salah leaves, heā€™d likely be an option for that.

Pacho is likely to be on the shortlist of CBā€™s. Thereā€™s a nice piece from Goal.com which was put out today on him.

2 Likes

Many options for wingers or attacking forwards this summer but basically what I would be looking specifically for is someone who will receive the ball, dribble, dribble, dribble, shoot score.

Weā€™ve got VDB who probably does need a preseason with us too.

2 Likes
3 Likes

I reckon heā€™ll end up at Newcastle, but you could see us justifying it by Kelleher departing for first-team football, and using the fee received to go straight on Trafford. Would also keep the HG quota in check.

Weā€™ve also been linked a fair bit to Anthony Patterson from Sunderland, another young English GK.

I guess we could say to either of them that theyā€™d be training with one of, if not the best goalkeeper in the world, who they could end up stepping into his shoes later on in their career, and if not, theyā€™d still end up securing a brilliant move elsewhere at a very good age.

Heā€™ll make a fair #2.

Heā€™s still young and will improve playing football alongside a more experienced team.

Not been overly impressed with him at Burnley this season. Seemed too much of a step up too soon for him. But then canā€™t see him wanting to drop to a number two at a club where heā€™s got zip all chance of dislodging the number one.

More chances of silverware (except for the league).

A chance to both play with and learn from some of the best.

More money.

Given Aliā€™s injury history, the chance of plenty of playing time.

Having said all that, I donā€™t understand why Jaros or any of the other young goalkeepers we already have canā€™t replace him.

2 Likes

For me, on GKs, I agree with @cynicaloldgit, Kelleher should be replaced by someone from within where possible.

In terms of a replacement for Adrian as the 3rd keeper, no issue with an older head joining to make numbers up/impart any wisdom.

1 Like