The Unreliable LFC Transfer Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 3)

Slots not playing fantasy premier league. Won’t be much happening until hes worked with the players for a bit.

Further, im hoping we are back to the Edwards stealthy methodology, with signings info only being leaked a couple of hours before something official is leaked. Boring for us, but also better that the club operates that way.

7 Likes

Don’t worry, things will definitely start moving once the Euros/Copa are over :+1:t3:

2 Likes

Got the Olympics also - maybe our star(-let) is amongst the performers!

2 Likes

Not so sure about that, I think our targets are playing in the Premier League so I think we are waiting for that competition to be over before we make our move.

5 Likes

I don’t really get this line of “Slot will want to work with the players first before we make any decisions”.

He’s not starting some new management role in a company where he doesn’t know the people. He’s been linked up to be our manager for months now. He’ll have access to so much information about players and so much footage he could watch. He’s surrounded by analysts and recruitment people who could tell him anything he needs to know about any player in the squad.

This notion of “needing to see them in training” is a nonsense. We all know we need a CB and a DM. The club will already have a good idea on if they think VDB has the required ability to replace Matip and the fact they’ve put a price on him tells you they don’t think he’s got what it takes. We also aren’t going to have all the squad back for another week or two by which point the window has less than a month left.

Four other PL clubs have been managers for next season and all have been doing business. Were those managers better prepared coming in or are those clubs making decisions against the managers wishes?

Whole thing is just odd when we can all see the gaps in the squad.

2 Likes

Its just impatience i read from your post

3 Likes

1 Like

It’s not though is it.

On the one hand you’re saying Slot needs time to work with players to gauge whether or not we have gaps so there’s no rush.

But on the other hand, the later we bring new players in the less time they have to bed in before we’ll need them on the pitch.

And if he can’t make a judgement on players without spending time working with them, how are we judging which players we might bring in?

It’s a completely flawed argument and petty digs like yours doesn’t change that fact.

Newflash: there’s a price on everyone.

Not me, I’m not too fussed. It’d make a nice change if we could actually use our academy players instead of churn for the sake of churn.

3 Likes

It’s not a flawed argument at all.

Firstly recruitment of new players doesn’t mean they have to be fully bedded in and starting from day one of the league - this is a squad which was competitive for most of last season.

Secondly, getting to work with them also means having that time to sit down and talk with the players about their goals and how it fits within Slots plans.

Slot may want to see if certain players can fill a different position, or how particular players work together, or how they adapt to certain tactical changes before he makes a decision on them before he makes a recommendation - particularly if he sees younger players he would like to give first team opportunities to, to the recruitment team.

2 Likes

Yes there’s a price for everyone. But if you don’t want to actually sell players you don’t go trotting to your media mouth pieces telling them what what that price like they’ve done with VDB.

Could have had all these chats before they flew to America. And pre-season initially is largely fitness based. You think he’s going to look at VDB doing some shuttle runs, a few rondo’s and then half a behind closed doors friendly against Preston and go “oh yeah this lad is the business, no need to buy anyone”.

And it’s not stopped any other club with a new manager from doing business already.

Clearly the argument is flawed.

1 Like

Apparently all about Slot. If that really is the case I don’t see much of a change of structure in terms of job descriptions and responsibilities.

Have they actually done that or is this just your speculation?

Yes they’ve done it and through their usual media mouthpiece.

While I agree we need a CB and DM, I’m not certain how Slot sees it. Does he want to strengthen the same positions? Does he have his eye on other areas? And does he have eyes for only one, maybe two, options in say, DM, and if we can’t sign them, would he then prefer to go with what we have, rather than go too far down the list?

Also, will Slot deploy players in exactly the same way? Van de Vaart (not saying he is any authority especially) suggested that Gravenberch has all the tools to become a great DM, and he would advise him to make that position his own. Is Slot going to do something like that? Or how close is Bajcetic to becoming that man for us?

I’m also not sure about outgoings. Are there any players who might move on but at present it is up in the air? Are we keeping our powder dry so we can act decisively in case that happens?

I’m going to take Hughes at his word, and he said there will be more visible action in the market in August. Presumably conversations are happening behind the scenes almost all the time, as we explore possible deals or assess how we can be opportunistic?

I’m fairly chilled.

We have a great squad. There are a couple areas to improve, but that isn’t easy at our level. It’s a small list of players who will be available, affordable, and can improve us. I’m sure we have them identified and we will see some transfer action in due course.

2 Likes

We’re gonna be fine, in safe hands. People are forgetting Arne is a born winner, the real deal and they’re gonna be in for a pleasant surprise.

Entering a new era now, getting all the business done in the early weeks isn’t seen as much of a priority. Hughes has brought in a lot of players at Bournemouth over the last few years, he knows how to get his hands busy. There’s 5 weeks to go, clubs sign 2-3 players on deadline day alone, as long as we get the players in we need by then there nowt to worry 'bout. All this “time to bed in” is pussy talk, remind me how many players we’ve signed on deadline day or mid season and have had instant impacts?

Ederson is a must, Bakayoko is a must and Calafiori was a must, but it’s ok, there are other must haves. Kadioglu is essentially the same type of player, so he’s a maybe must. Bijol was 1 of the most impressive CB’s at the Euros, another maybe must.

2 Likes

Base on what?

Nothing really, it was figurative speech but they are players that’ve grown on me the last 12 months and would be delighted if they came, when I look around Europe I don’t see many names in the RW/DM position that stand out.

Same story with Koné, Thuram, Lavia, and Colwill last season. Most of us believed Koné and Thuram were worth 30m+, 40m+, but Koné is missing now, and Thuram went to Juve for just $21m. Lavia is missing. Colwill had an average season. We normally just focus on what the media presents to us, but there are many other options. Same story with Slot, how many of us knew him before?

7 Likes