The Unreliable LFC Transfer Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 3)

maybe…
on the flipside, theres a structure in place for seperating the player procurement and matchday management

obviously they work hand in hand, but, for instance, whats the difference if Slott is seeing Curtis Jones for the first time in july, or seeing curtis jones and >>>insert new signing name here<<<<

i understand its not as black and white as that, but on the reverse, in the ultra competitive industry, its not as black and white as ‘letting the new fella get his feet under the desk for bit, before we think about any new players’

theres a middle ground.

im more leaning towards Edwards is working on new signings, and informing Slott for minimal input, instead of waiting for Slott to hand him his wish list…

Slott can do that ASWELL, when he has had his time to adjust, in the meantime, the squad rejuvenation project shouldnt be waiting on a certain cog to get greased first.

im also of the opinion, this was always going to be a quieter transfer period, but i dont think any football squad should stay the same from season to season, new faces…the right new faces…are always needed to keep players on thier toes, to intergrate over time, to add a fresh dynamic…

all just opinion of course

1 Like

To be honest, this is the first transfer window in a while where I’m much more concerned about the players who are already at the club, rather than new faces. Do Trent, Van Dijk and Salah extend, can Slot get Nunez and Gakpo firing, can Szoboslai consistently play like he did in the first half of the last season, can Van Den Berg and Carvalho miraculously resurrect their Liverpool careers, can some other kids like Bajčetić, Doak or Danns stake a claim for first team…

I’m not going to lie, I’m convinced we need new players in CB and DM roles but let’s see what Slot thinks first. Everyone associated with Liverpool would rather see Bajčetić, Van Den Berg and Carvalho become top class players here than club spend tens of millions on new faces.

5 Likes

Unlikely by the looks of things but don’t worry, we will loan someone in Jan’25 when the injury crisis hits us in Dec.

2 Likes

If you look at the people we need to replace, Matip, Thiago, Adrian, then they have naturally been replaced by Quansah, Bajetic, Kelleher. The amount of game time the top lot had was almost zero. Meanwhile the second lot will be demanding games this year.
And in fact with Diaz being back from what would have been a shocking personal nightmare and Nunez appearing to find his feet at the COPA America we are most probably already in front. Robbo and Bradley back. Jones back.
I don’t think we too far from being a champion team. We limped over the line last year and still slid easily into third.

3 Likes

Absolute muppet this fella.
Seen clips of him screaming like a toddler when we concede. He’s a less informative and less interesting Goldbridge (who to be fair has evolved from his annoying beginnings).

This lad is even doing live performances now! Obviously his mam is going to leave the key out for him to get in and have his dinner ready in the microwave.

1 Like

I’m not so sure we can compete for all trophies with this squad. Still over-reliant on Salah for goals. It’s unfortunate that Jota is prone to frequent injuries and can’t rely on Nunez/Diaz/Gakpo for goals on a consistent basis.

Midfield has some cracking talent if Slot can can the best out of them in their best-suited positions. I feel another top rated DM is needed if we want to seriously compete on all fronts.

I feel we need a change/shakeup in defence. Trent and Gomez don’t fill me with confidence defensively, they tend to allow opponents to pass them way too easily at times, especially on that right side. Konate is another injury prone player who cannot be relied upon for the entire season and Tsimikas has been below average for a long time now.

I think Slott’s input is more the what than the who. The recruitment team will probably have some irons in the fire but will want to buy what Slott wants.

Is Slott the new @Mascott?

7 Likes

He’ll need to start arguing with @Klopptimist to gain full accreditation.

6 Likes

It might feel that way but I thought the rest of our forward lines contributed alot other than Salah and for a long time, we had not had midfielders who were goalscorers but in Mac and Dom, we have 2.

4 Likes

One of the positives of Slot is that his sides didnt stick to one way of creating goal scoring opportunities, so I don’t think this is going to be an issue. For example, in I think his first season at Feyenoord they had the most or almost the most goals from crosses. His second season they were near the top with goals being scored through the middle.

1 Like

In fairness going for all 4 trophies has broken the squad twice under Klopp, so saying its not good enough to do it is both fair and likely inevitable.

Loved winning that LC last year but we should probably drop that to being an exclusively youth/backup tournament and rest everyone else.

8 Likes

I thought it was a youth tournament last year, albeit not through choice

6 Likes

Salah only gets 125 miles per gallon??? SELL!

I think it’s usually one where we don’t start the players who have been playing recently, so it’s usually players coming back from injury, players who have not had as much of an opportunity for game time, and the odd promising youth player. Only in times of injury crisis or if we get to the semi-finals do we start playing the stars.

Especially given the run last year introduced a bunch of kids who are now going to need minutes to keep developing.

1 Like

New manager, fresh eyes, there is going to be someone who comes in that surprises all of us with how they are used/how much time they get. No idea who it’s going to be. A bit like when we bought Gomez for $2 mil and then he went and started the season in our first 11. Could we use a CB or DM? Yes. Are we in desperate need? No. Maybe Sepp van den Berg is actually ace. Maybe Bajcetic is going to boss it. Maybe Tsimikas is actually good. Maybe Carvalho DOES have a position.

I’m comfortable letting new director of football and new coach see all our players before we decide to do some business. Might even be January, although for the sake of everyone’s sanity on the forum I hope it’s before then.

2 Likes

There’s a good chance

Not so much

4 Likes

I think it’s quite interesting that it’s as quiet on the rumours of outgoings as it is on incomings.

Last summer we had to contend with waving off Bobby, Milly, Ox and Keira. Then what seemed like never ending sagas with Fabinho and Henderson and constant rumours of Salah joining them in Saudi. Plus all the usual Williams, Phillips, other deadwood chat.

This summer there’s very little of substance beyond the Williams and Phillips chat. The Trent and Ali rumours aren’t exactly anything concrete, fringe players aren’t being linked anywhere, the Diaz to Barca chatter has died out and even the Saudis are quiet.

All seems very slow to get moving in both directions.

Crescendo!

1 Like