The Unreliable LFC Transfer Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 3)

This is my hunch as well. Makes sense as a left-footer (I think) as well. Ticks a lot of boxes.

Iā€™m a smidge concerned about Inacio and 1v1 duels. On the plus side he is good on the ball, a lefty, and can pass well enough. If we are after a footballer first and foremost, he seems like he would be a good fit.

But since Slot went to the trouble of highlighting 1v1 duels in the first game, and in a direct-Dutch-style pointed out that Quansah was off the pace with that, though not the only oneā€¦

It makes me wonder if Inacio is the defender we need.

Much brighter people are on it, but thatā€™s the one slight concern I might have over Inacio - heā€™s not that big, or strong, and in the rough and tumble of the Premier League his footballing skills might be nullified by the large amount of grocks he will have to face.

2 Likes

Martinez did pretty well.

There have been smaller CBs whoā€™ve worked out well in the PL

Thatā€™s fairā€¦I just donā€™t know enough about the player to know for sure. Perhaps he has some aggression to him :man_shrugging:

Gomez staying put will be like a new signing anyway.

1 Like

Weve always been good sellersā€¦not so great at incomings of late.

2 Likes

I think towards the end of Edwards first tenure the inability (unwillingness) to move on fringe players is a big part of what made it difficult to make signings we might have wanted to.

3 Likes

I think the Goalie signing is sound.

Generally keepers can be good til 36/37, however keepers have been adapting and as such that age is likely to start declining to match up more line with outfield players.

I also started replaying in my early 30s

Then had 3 bad injuries late in my 30s after a period of nothing.

I think Iā€™m still fitter now than I was back when I restarted but the body says 5 aside and nothing more.

Different for different people but Alisson does have more injuries than your average keeper. He however isnā€™t an average keeper.

Edwardā€™s and Hughes are taking advantage of a situation, a bit like when we signed Diaz.

2019 15 games through injury 2020 he picked up a hip injury on 1st of March which kept him out 80 days till 20th May which should have been the remaining 16 games of that season. Fortunately covid saved it but its still an 80 day absence in what should have been the season. In total its 49 games missed for a keeper which isnā€™t great.

3 Likes

Not to say that they were correctā€¦ but I thought that the keeping of players beyond their prime was attributed to Klopp.

And that this had been a point of disagreement between them (Edwards being quite willing to move players on the decline). Time will tell.

Probably partly, but maybe depends on who specifically we are talking about. For the likes of Ox, Origi, Phillips, maybe even Naby, it seemed they were available at the right price but no one would meet the price we were demanding and that happened with enough players simultaneously that we ended up with too many players to register them all.

1 Like

The point is well made that Alisson misses more games than most goalkeepers due to injury. Ideally he wouldnā€™t, but there you are. (On a possibly related note, he looks like he has slimmed down a bit to me, and if so, that will probably help the muscle injuries a bit).

Even with him suffering a few niggly injuries and missing games, I would not swap him for another goalkeeper in the world.

Making a move on a highly rated young goalkeeper now, to shore us up for the future, seems very shrewd. Alisson might play until his late 30s. Or he might play until his mid 30s. He might stay until the end of his contract (3 years?) Or he might have given the club an indication that he would be open to leaving sooner, and being the gentleman that he is, it gave us an opportunity to plan.

1 Like

Except even those are debatable. I would argue that we extracted almost maximum value from letting Origi go on a free.

He scored a lot of crucial goals and didnā€™t complain about the bench role.

On Philips, the jury is still out. We probably recovered some from loan fees. He also served as cover and didnā€™t complain much about his severely limited role and still might collect us a fee. Is that worth more than 10M a few years ago?

No system is perfect, but reallyā€¦ we had it very good.

My only concern is if he stays and still doesnā€™t feel like heā€™s playing enough. We could then see him pushing to leave even harder next summer or possibly in January. And unless Virg signs a new deal that could see a big upheaval and a lot of work needed in that one spot next summer.

Donā€™t we have a ton of Champions League group stage games?

I think heā€™s probably aware weā€™ll be playing these and yet has still asked to explore a move.

Iā€™d be disappointed if the CL games came as a shock to him.

As in they would be good opportunities for him to get playing time, Iā€™d imagine. For sure it would be ideal if we could rotate our squad earlier in the season to avoid injuries later on.

The problem for Gomez is hes probably 3rd in line for RCB and not even 2nd in line for LCB. At full back he appeads 3rd choice for both sides.

A left footed CB, to be an understudy to Virgil would be ideal, and the sooner the better to be honest.

1 Like

Overstated. Heā€™s had 2 separate injuries in 6 years which have kept him out for 4-6 weeks and no longer.

Out of a possible 229 games in the league, heā€™s missed 21 of those games to injury.

Forget heā€™s a keeper as they too can easily pick up knocks doing their training drills, go find a player in the squad in the Klopp era that missed less than 10% through injury.

Like I said, overstated.

1 Like