The Unreliable LFC Transfer Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 3)

I think it’s far more likely that the universe is telling Joe Gomez that he must keep slogging on and on until he scores a goal for us.

EDIT: I joked about that, then I read the press conference transcript and saw this:

7 Likes

Seriously! How are we cutting things SO close to the bone when we have very recent example of what happens when you don’t cater for injuries that will inevitably follow in a league that is so high tempo and with so many internationals also pulling country duties :man_facepalming:t2:

1 Like

There is two possible issues here.

Possibly Slot needs a lived experience of this. Klopp also came in wanting a small squad, and that didn’t last long.

Alternatively, Slot just reckons his system is a lot less intensive than Klopp and the load on players won’t be as great.

4 Likes

Apparently, he did the same thing when he arrived at Feyenoord.

two more possibilities

1. Slot doesn’t have the same power over transfers that Klopp had. Not yet at any rate
  2. There are incoming transfers and the regime is playing cards close to their chest
5 Likes

Or that 4 senior CBs is plenty for a team that plays an orthodox 4 at the back.

2 Likes

Another CB exit. Nat Phillips must be wondering what he’s got to do to get a move.

2 Likes

Nat Phillips is still here cos he has been shit at every club he has been to on loan.
He will only leave when his contact expires and even then they will find him hiding in the dressing room when he is meant to be gone.

6 Likes

I think the biggest issue in the last couple of years is that we haven’t brought in anyone who can nail down a starting spot, except for Mac Allister. Jota and Konaté are quality players, but they’re injured too often. Szoboszlai still needs to prove himself. Even Trent has his ups and downs and needs some adjustments. We don’t have a stable option for RCB, which also affects the RB position. LB is also unstable because Robertson frequently picks up injuries. The same goes for LW and CF. Díaz is good, but is he at the highest level? I doubt it.

I think the problem last year wasn’t about lacking numbers but about lacking stability. We won many games from the bench, showing we have depth, but we had to change the starting lineup too frequently. This clearly affected the team’s form. Especially with the defensive line, if we compare ourselves to other teams, I think we used twice as many different backline combinations.

I also think trimming the squad is a good idea. We have big squad, and we don’t need that many. One Salah on the right is much more effective than the three LWs we have right now—that’s the evidence. So, we need to trim the squad first, identify who can be our core players, and then bring in players who can upgrade our starting lineup. We don’t need numbers. If Slot can stabilize this squad, I think it will be much stronger than people expect.

Yes, all we need is another Salah. Simples :man_shrugging:t2:

7 Likes

Still better than Slabhead.

1 Like

It does make sense. Better than doing a Chelsea and bloating the squad, making it abundantly clear we need to sell and ending up with low fees. Leaves us capacity in the sqaud to bring in someone if the club can sort it.

1 Like

Liverpool figure they don’t need to give relocation benefits.

3 Likes

Who is currently injured with “no return date” specified :melting_face:

Buying an injured player because we can get them cheaper.

I do hope we can make the bid though. Everton accepting the bid will get their fanbase into total meltdown.

https://x.com/SportsPeteO/status/1826945969042145350?t=uN3Ezwzv6TuLDgF32trPyw&s=19

'Cause that would make sense.

2 Likes

That will be a tricky one, because Napoli really cannot afford to lose any more talent. Starting the season with a pasting by Verona was worse than expected.

1 Like

Between them, have goal/football insider ever got an “exclusive” right in their lives?

They miraculously, without fail, find 40-50 names to link to us every summer and I’m pretty sure every one of them is shot down within 24hrs.

1 Like

Might have to shell out on his personal security, though. Blue-noses will be more than a bit pissed off by it, if it happens.