The Unreliable LFC Transfer Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 3)

I’m presuming that’s because you don’t see Gomez as a viable option there?

Their style of play also helps. Pep literally parks a 4 man backline and then the cynical fouls by Rodri and co which go unpunished. Goes a long way in keeping their defenders unexposed and also lessens their workloads.

Same goes for the wannabe in Arteta.

2 Likes

Even if Gomez is viable, his problems with injuries still make having just the 3 other CBs and him risky.

1 Like

Since he came back from his last knee injury he has missed just 5 games in the last 3 seasons through injury.

8 Likes

The problems that he hasn’t had for the past two seasons?

3 Likes

Can be attributed to him playing more as a backup? I don’t trust that he can play 90min on a regular basis.

1 Like

According to Transfermarkt, with Virgil’s minutes in parentheses for comparison,

2023-24: 3133 (4071) minutes
2022-23: 2125 (3645) minutes
2021-22: 1039 (4620) minutes

I don’t think his workload is that light. Understandably lower for the earlier seasons as we probably weren’t ready to risk him that much.

2 Likes

I just think 5 players who can play CB is the correct number. I suppose Phillips is that 5th option for us right now so I guess it’s fine.

I kind of see us having 3 CBs, 1 utility defender and a break glass option. I’d just prefer 4 proper CBs.

2 Likes

I don’t really get what’s shitty about it. I said they have more than the “four is plenty” statement you made and you then added context which I addressed. I’m not sure what you think I’m implying that you haven’t said.

But if you want to pick holes in City’s depth then clearly we have concerns too. There’s also a vast difference in quality. We’ve one elite option, two good and one emerging. Compare that to City who have far less difference between their best and their fifth best option.

There’s also the point about Gomez. Slot may like him but the club were willing to sell him before Slot even got through the door. You’ve got to question just how much Slot’s opinion would matter if a £45m offer came out way again.

We absolutely do.

I don’t think we’ve sold a player that a manager wanted to retain, have we?

I think pretty much everyone has their price in our team, it’s be naïve to think otherwise. Sure, some like Salah might be priced upwards of £115b, but apart from that…

Well we clearly were happy to sell him to Newcastle whilst he was at the Euros and before Slot had really got started.

If you’re saying we wouldn’t sell anyone the manager wanted to keep then you’re either suggesting Slot is okay with Gomez leaving or £45m is the kind of fee that would take the decision out of his hands irrespective of his opinion.

I would very much suggest that Arne would be okay with that, yes, if we had replacements coming in, especially if they’re defenders who are younger and have higher potential. Gomez is not indispensable, his main advantages are his versatility and that he’s already settled into the team. That said, Arne’s comments seem to suggest that he doesn’t see Gomez leaving, so make of that what you will.

I’m not sure we have enough evidence one way or another to make any definitive statement.

2 Likes

@Superdeporte_es

: The operation for Giorgi Mamardashvili’s (23) move to Liverpool could be finalized 𝗧𝗢𝗗𝗔𝗬 Valencia &

@LFC

have now reached an agreement and are now finishing the deal

3 Likes

Liverpool is now linked with Napoli left winger Kvaratskhelia. The 23 year old Georgian native scored 11 goals and 8 assists in Series A last season. Asking price will be steep, possibly 70+ so I doubt this happens unless we sell on one of our forwards.

Kvaratskhelia Moments of Genius :exploding_head: (youtube.com)

Still in goal for Valencia tonight.

1 Like

Not from very good source. Some Twitter guy started it and few others picked up.

I don’t have a lot of hope we sign anyone really. Still if this were to come true this Kvaratskhelia guy is a clever dribbler with a lethal finish. Could possibly be the quality of a Sadio Mane for us on the left.

Anyways this is rumor season. 90% of rumors won’t happen so we’ll just have to see.

They never are.

1 Like

If a signing happens that football insider breaks I lay off them for a year.