The Unreliable LFC Transfer Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 3)

right…thank you. That’s what I meant

1 Like

To be honest, In between what’s coming out of the club and where we are, I don’t think we’re going to be doing much in January or the summer. I’m not surprised there are no rumours - I just don’t see where the gap is.

Aside from Matip, most of the players are due back in early Feb, which means the club won’t be panicked into doing business. The emergence of Quansah as a genuine first team option means Joel’s absence is mitigated.

Even in the summer, unless there are mad departures, I just don’t see where the gaps are.

I think Olise is a really strong possibility, because he fits the exact profile that Liverpool need, and it might make a lot of sense to bring him in now if Salah is leaving in a year. But if Salah extends I don’t think that one happens.

In defence we could do a centre back to replace Matip, but the club my see Van Dijk, Gomez, Konate and Gomez as enough, especially if Bradley is seen as good enough to back up Trent, mitigating the need to use Gomez there. There have also been lots of rumours of an extension for Joel, and I think the smart money is on him staying.

Personally (I don’t think the club will do this) I think there is a strong argument to go and get the best right back we can, and use that to move Trent into midfield on a more regular basis. But I say that every year…

GK: Alisson, Kelleher, Adrian
CB: Van Dijk, Konate, Gomez, Quansah, Matip
FB: Robbo, Tsimikas, Trent, Bradley
DM: Endo, Bajcetic
AM:Szoboszlai, Jones, Mac Allister, Gravenberch, Elliot, Clark
FW: Salah, Nunez, Gakpo, Diaz, Jota

Where is the vacancy? That’s 25 players!

We’re going to be the losers of the transfer window though

Panicking Season 3 GIF by The Office

Just imagine if this somehow does come to pass. Not that I want Mbappe in Liverpool. Not anymore.

1 Like

Anyone who doesn’t want one of the best players in the world here doesn’t want the team to improve. The problem is the cost, both in monetary terms and possibly in terms of squad harmony, although I suspect that stories of Mbappé’s disruptive behaviour are somewhat exaggerated.

3 Likes

And in terms of TAN harmony

Mbappe would be such a great signing, just on football terms, but there are always downsides as well when it comes to player like that.

• Can he get stuck in an work his bollocks off for the team? That’s a non-negotiable in a Klopp system. Even Salah, who is probably the least aggressive player we have when it comes to the press, puts a shift in. Mbappe is a player we’ve seen throwing his arms around and sulking when things don’t go his way.

• What effect does his wage demands have on the rest of the team?

• Does he buy into Klopp’s authority and control. We’ve seen with players at the level Mbappe operates at that they can see themselves as being bigger than the club and a more important voice than the manager.

• what effect does his entourage have on him? How many people are in his orbit giving him advice, and how many of them would expect the club to slip them cash to get/keep Mbappe on side.

I don’t think that Mbappe is realistic, and I suspect our name is being dropped on there as a stalking horse. But with a player like that, it’s never a matter of ‘sign him he’s great’. There is always baggage.

8 Likes

Liverpool don’t usually sign superstar players, they may become superstars because they play for Liverpool.

Even when we have broken records to sign a player (Alisson, van Dijk etc) they have had a certain humbleness to temper their obviously prodigious talent.

4 Likes

Yeah would have loved Mbappe three years ago. Think he’s now been poisoned by too long with PSG and Neymar and he’s just not realistic. Jude Bellingham was the star player we should have been getting. Regardless of fee, wages etc he was the player we could have made work; and I think if we’d been more aggressive with Dortmund a year or two earlier we’d have gotten him.

9 Likes

I think Morientes is perhaps the closest we’ve come?

1 Like

I don’t think we’ll actually sign Mbappe and the links to us are just to show Madrid there is potentially another option when it comes to his agent negotiating a financial package.

That being said, when you have the opportunity to sign an elite level player, you should at least have that conversation.

Purely from a fan’s pov, it 's the transfer equivalent of “If you’re not sure what to do with the ball, just pop it in the net and we’ll discuss your options afterwards .”

If you can sign a player that essentially guarantees you 40+ goals a season for free and they want to come here, then you do it and worry about him being a bit sulky afterwards.

Ultimately it comes down to if Klopp would want him and if Mbappe would want to play here, and thirdly if he’d be happy playing for Salah level wages/bonuses/endorsements. And I don’t particularly think any of these are likely at this moment.

1 Like

Thiago

Hasn’t Real always been his dream destination .Seems to be his mother agent who is a Liverpool fan,not him.He may well be a Klopp fan but would Klopp be willing to take the chance on the disruption which may come with Mbappe.I don’t think so but much like with Bellingham ,he would take us to another level if he were to sign for us,Unfortunately Real will be signing him.

I hesitated to include Thiago simply because of age and injury history when we signed him.

2 Likes

Mbappe at Liverpool would be a thing of beauty. Klopp has a way of getting players to buy into his philosophy and there’s no way we’d pull the trigger unless he was very confident there, I don’t believe. The main issue is still a financial one, despite the fact that he’ll be free. I read somewhere this week that he’s demanding something like 1.2M per week in wages. Now that may not be accurate, but the money will be huge regardless. If he’s about money only he’ll stay at PSG. The only way he comes to Liverpool is if it’s here and nowhere else and he’s willing to get creative with compensation. I just don’t see that happening unfortunately.

Signing Mbappe is not going to happen, his wage demands alone, make it impossible.

6 Likes

Obstacles to Mbappe are not just wages alone is whether he demands Klopp and the team to play around him. It’s one thing to be so good that the team naturally builds around you but another thing to think you are so damn bloody good and demands it. Salah is one prime example, world class but fantastic humility and attitude.

Kevin Mantilla.

50 Cent Starz GIF by Power Book II: Ghost

2 Likes

Can we set up a thread for hundreds of posts stating that we won’t get Mbappe?