The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 1)

So Norwich and 4 other clubs are interested in taking Neco Williams on loan next season. IMO, we should him to Norwich in return for Max Aarons also under a loan deal with an option to buy similar to the Kabak loan deal. I will select Lamptey if Brighton is among those clubs, but unfortunately it is not the case.

That would prevent us from loaning Norwich Elliott, which would be the better move for both parties, imo. Sell them Neco (with sell on clause) and loan them Elliott would be good business, particularly if they are selling Aarons in addition to Buendia.

1 Like

Mirror claiming Klopp given only 50 million budget this summer and the rest depends on player sales. They are also looking to sell Keita to boost funds.

Again with this garbage transfer budget they are giving Jurgen. how much exactly are they expecting to recoup selling Keita, Origi and Shaqiri?

1 Like

If true itā€™s roughly the net budget I expected. I wouldnā€™t sell Keita though.

1 Like

If its come to this and the idea would be also to give Curtis more minutes, wouldnt it be better to move on Keita , get some semblance of money and get the foward and midfielder we need atm? Keitas track record of number of games played isnt going to get any better as we move on. I do wonder how much he would be worth in this market and who would be interested in buying him. Probably from the Bundesliga.

2 Likes

Well, we need to move Keita on. Third biggest transfer fee in our history and his contribution for the last 3 years is close to zero. Just not good enough to play football at the highest level. Klopp needs not only good players, but also athletes in top condition.

We will need another midfielder this summer window or it will be an absolute travesty and stupidity.

Looking at our midfield - AOC and Keita are injury prone and we canā€™t expect them to stay fit for a prolonged period of time /especially Nabyā€™s best record is playing six consecutive games before an injury and we know that the only period when he will be 100% fit next season is during the African cup of nations/.

Milner will be 36 years old and donā€™t forget that last season Hendo and Tiago were injured for 3 months each. And we know that the same could happen again /like it always happens to Matip and Gomez sadly, you just know that they will miss many matches, because of injuries/. Shaq must be sold this summer and we have to pray for Fabinho /who also missed 8 league games because of an injury this season/ to stay healthy.

The only midfielder who managed to play all 38 PL matches last season was Gini. The closest to him were Fab /30 league matches/ and Milner /26 matches/.

Klopp is working miracles every season under a restricted budget /no matter if it is COVID-19 or when we were in a rude financial health/. Time for FSG to step up and support the manager. Signing a midfielder and a forward is the minimum they have to do, if they really want to give the manager and the players realistic chances to battle at least for top 4 places.

10 Likes

I see Napolis Hysaj is available on free. From what I recall, heā€™s decent. Only 27? Can play both sides. Seen a unreliable shout that he could be handy and allow Neco to go on loan for a season.

5 Likes

IMO, itā€™s time to handle Elliott the way Pep handled Foden. So we should not loan him out this season IMO - let him train with our top-class forwards.

16 Likes

Is that Ā£50m including however much we already spent on Konate?

Personally Iā€™m not wholly convinced that we really work to a specific budget like that and this is either speculation or weā€™ve thrown that number out to keep realistic prices on our targets.

Ultimately we have squad sizes and we have to work within that squad. They know where we need to improve the squad and which players have reached the end of their time here. So of course we need to sell to buy, but not in the way of cashing in on Salah while his value is probably at itā€™s highest to finance

My point is we were never going to keep all the same squad and add a further four of five top level players because that just isnā€™t sustainable, so while itā€™s fun to speculate about players I donā€™t think it is worthwhile focusing on these abstract transfer kitty totals, or worry about how much other teams are spending. If we get to the end of the window and we have a squad which is more competitive than it was the previous season, thatā€™s all Iā€™m bothered about.

10 Likes

No problems if we donā€™t bring any more players in but I am sure we will bring in 2 more.

The same story was reported in the last two summer transfer windows and for me it sounds like feeding the media to keep prices low.

1 Like

Seems to me our transfer budget is always around this 50 million mark since FSG came in. The rest is due to selling and special circumstances (VVD and Ali being the special examples even if we had sold Coutinho). So yes essentially if others deals get done itā€™s reliant on selling.
We also seem to prioritorise, last summer it was midfield and Thiago, this season Defense and KonatƩ.
We will never do a rebuild under FSG but could do decent strengthening like when VVD and Ali came in.

Is Mirror any reliable?

2 Likes

Itā€™s a tough call, Iā€™d be happy with keeping him around as well but if he is to go on loan it should be to a Premier League team like Norwich.

1 Like

Yes, when Foden was 18 like Elliott is now he played 5 games in the PL and the rest probably in U23. Although training with the big boys will improve him also I want to see him playing week in week out either top Championship or a so-so team in the PL.

2 Likes

About as reliable as your English. :joy:

Only joking, mate- your English is infinitely better than my Bengali, after all. :sunglasses:

6 Likes

Given the Covid losses, the second largest wage bill in the league (admittedly it wonā€™t be that high this year with top 4 the only real success) and new contracts pending for some key players itā€™s not surprising that whatever our net spend is, it wonā€™t be astronomical.

Add in the number of players on the books Klopp clearly doesnā€™t fancy or struggles to rely on, and it was pretty clear this summer would be a prudent one and outgoings were going to be key to our business. Also no surprise to think Keita would be sacrificed to raise some funds. Given his availability issues selling him and buying no one would barely make us any weaker.

Think weā€™ll need to be compromising on some fees in order to move players on, unlike last season when we stuck to our guns and ended up loaning players we had no desire to keep because we stuck to our valuations.

Also makes me think weā€™ll be looking to shop in France and Holland where the need to sell will be greater perhaps than the Premier League or Germany.

4 Likes

Same as Jones.

1 Like

The African Cup of Nations in 2022 may be cancelled.

The Civil War & COVID-19 situation in Cameroon has already made the draw untenable, and there are discussions that AFCON may just be suspended altogether.

Good news for future signings

6 Likes

Grujic propaganda starting now. Didnā€™t think heā€™d done that well at Porto from what Iā€™d read but apparently heā€™s wanted on a permanent deal now.

Still think ā‚¬20m is seriously hopeful on our part but time for him to move on and kickstart his career.

10 Likes

Think your bang on there

Donā€™t think weve had a window in a long time that didnt rely at least to some extent on sales to facilitate incoming players. We also have injury prone types and returning loanees that can be first out which wonā€™t even really affect the rotations.

The question will be what value can we actually get for players like Keita Wilson Grujic and Origi. Going to be an interesting window with clubs recovering from Covid and how much we stick to our valuations. Think your right and we will need to be flexible there to facilitate the moves.

Good start with Konate lets hope we move quickly to secure our other primary targets.

1 Like