The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 1)

I think people seem to think Harvey is the 2nd coming or something. He’s looked decent. But he’s young and will be inconsistent. He stood out in championship. Let’s not pressure him.
Let’s not turn him the “new” this or that like when Ibe replaced Sterling as the next best thing…

9 Likes

For every Trent there is at least one, Brewster, Ibe, Woodburn or Jack Robinson.

Not even sure if Curtis will reach the level of those young English midfield and attacking players at PL Top 8 Clubs.

4 Likes

Only thing we can do is give him the opportunity though isnt it.

If we send him on loan to a lower tier PL club he could end up in a Relegation scrap where the manager sticks with his seasoned veterans and he’s getting limited minutes anyway. It happens a fair bit to youngsters so if we do loan him we would wanna make sure we have a set in stone agreement amount how much he will play.

Personally I think we should keep him here and use him in an impact sub and cup game capacity.

He certainly has all the talent and physical attributes to make it and he has great confidence in his ability and a dedication to training and improving himself. If he’s not getting the game time or they think he needs a loan we can send him on loan in Jan but until then I think its worth keeping him at the club and seeing what he can do.

7 Likes

Klopp and his staff aren’t going to be here forever and the side is in need of rejuvenation in certain areas anyway. So, I’d really love it if the likes of Jones, Elliott and, dare I say, Gordon spent as much time under Klopp’s guidance as possible. If it takes selling players like AOC, Shaqiri and Origi to make way for them, then so be it.

7 Likes

I agree I don’t think Curtis will be good enough and will just come up short. Hope he is good enough but he should be showing it more consistently by now.
Thing is, if we play him, he plays poor and we lose he’ll get slaughtered. Unfortunately that’s how it is these days.
With the likes of city about we can’t afford to play youngsters and lose games while they bed in. we need to come out of the blocks firing on all cylinders.

1 Like

I think Curtis is definitely good enough; certainly to be a squad player if not the first name on the teamsheet (which I could also see if he continues to improve).

7 Likes

The question I always have is how many of the coaching staff would leave with Klopp when he goes?

Peter Krawietz will follow Klopp, they seem a pair that will always stick together - strong likelihood

Pep Lijnders I get the impression he is being groomed to take over from Klopp, or at least one day being our manager - seems unlikely he would go

Achterberg has been with the club for over 10 years, so not sure he would go, unless Klopp had something lined up prior to leaving and had a particularly enticing project for him. - Unlikely

Jack Robinson is working under Achterberg, so not sure how big a loss he would be as I don’t know enough about him and his role. - Not a clue

Vitor Matos is the bridging coach that works both with the acadamy and 1st team to assist in bringing the youngsters through, so seems one of those key roles that I doubt the club would be willing to leave without putting up a massive fight. - He might want to, but think the club will do everything to keep him

Andreas Kornmayer is fitness coach and seems to be very intune with Klopp in regards to what level of fitness the players need to be at and how to best manage their workload. Was also brough in by Klopp from Munich - so could be a he has a sense of loyalty towards Klopp, don’t know for sure. - Likely

After that we are getting into the medical and physios which seem to be changed and refreshed every couple of years, at least that is the impression I get.

So out of that, I can see 2 likely leaving with Klopp, a couple more a chance of leaving but would not be surprised if the club fight tooth and nail to keep them.

Surprised to see some thinking Jones won’t be up to it. I think he already looks like a pretty solid squad player, even though the number of first team appearances maybe doesn’t quite suggest he’s there yet.

13 Likes

That’s still three years away. Lots of things will change in the mean time.

I’m expecting to see Jones get a lot more time this season, I think he looks a great player in the making.

It’s interesting that analysis of his stats ranks him pretty close to Gini in terms of what he offers.

8 Likes

I think perhaps unlike Alexander-Arnold, we have the luxury of easing him in, while we had really no other right back that season that Alexander-Arnold made his breakthrough.

If so, that’s probably why we were rather willing to let Wijnaldum go.

1 Like

Agreed, Curtis looks every inch a Liverpool player. If he was playing for Lille or Sporting Lisbon or Dortmund we would be putting him on the who would you buy list.

10 Likes

Yet what we see is something completely different. Strange.

Yes but Jones and Elliot are nothing like those players.

I do wonder if people have watched Jones play sometimes, at the age of 19 he came on v’s West Ham and changed the game… To such effect Milner had to eat humble pie.

That shows a maturity and ability which will mean he’ll make it.

10 Likes

Sorry but he’s not a shiny new toy from Italy or where ever, can’t be good! :wink:

I think my favourite part about the two of them isn’t how outstanding they are, but more so how outstanding they aren’t. I usually try to see if the younger players fit in without losing too much quality, not so much whether they shine or not. If the difference between them and the player they replace in the lineup can be explained due to experience, then I think they’re off to a good start, and I’ve seen that with Jones at least. Elliott looks promising in these friendlies, but we probably need to see more of him. Certainly was no slouch in the Championship at least.

1 Like

Jones is excellent - people said the same nonsense about “will need a loan” with Sterling and Alexander-Arnold as well when they struggled. Jones hasn’t even struggled yet.

Who are these young English midfielders that better than Jones though? Foden probably, arguably Mount (for me Jones is the better prospect but Mount is solid), then who? Emile Smith Rowe? Joe Willock? No sorry Jones is significantly better. Not sure what else he was expected to do as a 20 year old.

Elliott will likely be a first teamer. Klopp has more faith on youth prospects, and his coaching, than some fans. Maybe he heads out on loan but I really don’t see why he would at this point. Fair enough some fans are dominated by fear when they see other teams signing players and us using youth prospects but with that mindset we might as well not have a youth system, especially when the prospects we are talking about are as good as Jones and Elliott, and we would never develop Steven Gerrard, Robbie Fowler, Jamie Carragher, Raheem Sterling or Trent Alexander-Arnold.

23 Likes

I think my posts are essentially driven by the exact opposite mindset, that very much prefers us to use what we currently have where we can, instead of just going out to buy every single player we can. It helps that we have essentially the perfect manager for managing the team into covering up the weaknesses of individuals while drawing out their strengths in a cohesive way.

1 Like

Alexander-Arnold was written off by a few after that Man Utd game, Sterling as well when he played wing back for a while. Some people just “get” the development cycle - or aren’t patient enough to work through it.

5 Likes

Patience is one of the rarest commodities. I use every shred of mine dealing with teachers with IT problems so I have zero when it comes to Liverpool. If a new player isn’t better than Gerrard instantly then he’s a failure :wink:

3 Likes