The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 1)

true

but that was then, this is now.

VVD was injured in october, Gomez cant have been even a month later…in some ways its not a long time, in others, its an eternity…

for every part of us that needs to understand pushing a buy through is ridiculously hard, must understand that the scouting network would have a massive list of targets and its priority from October would be to drill down on a January purchase…

i cant help but feel Klopp is being let down a bit here… we just played a very good Southampton…away…with our best midfielder and player of the year as a make do centre half…next to our defensive midfield superstar…

i want to understand the mitigating circumstances, but on the other side of the coin is the journey this manager and squad have been through to get where they are, and that right now, they need a top quality centre half pulled from a hat becuase quite franlkly, they deserve it…for everything they have been through to get where they are, to have to have kids and midfielders in central defence, when the window is open, just feels wrong.

i understand the COVID implications and finances, (billionaires have been increasing wealth these last few months, a loan is not out of the question) but for every dollar its impacted us as a club, there must be some other clubs with decent stock who would be willing to deal…if anything (and i hate saying this) this could be a massive missed opurtuntiy…

im not saying its easy, but a club that has won the CL and league in the last two seasons…

13 Likes

if we also want to go down the ‘how do you sell this to such and such a player’ route…

i reckon right now we would be about as tempting as anything has been for a centre half in donkeys years…

top manager, top club, top players, top of the league, chance to win the best league in europe, chance to walk into that team…no fit centre halves, the third best centre half with 3 long term injuries, the second best one cant keep fit for more than five games in a row, and the best one, well hes hitting thirty next year with no garuntee he returns as good as previous, and if he does, you get to play with the best centre back in the world…

its a monty…

7 Likes

If you understand the COV19 and Financial implications what is your solution? I agree the sell to a player is easy now compared to the summer.

Where is the money coming from? This is a club which wanted to furlough staff and faced a huge backlash for doing so.

You are talking about FSG being owners who have historically spent above their means? Which is just a line of thought which isn’t true, so can’t be the basis for anything.

Look at the other side of the fence, despite is costing them the league last season what did City do when faced with a similar defensive crisis? Remembering This is a club which could and would spend money at will.

Just so we are 100% clear btw. My view is we have to sign a center back, it’s what will enable us to retain the league. I just also don’t think it happens sadly.

3 Likes

Fixed (no pun intended) it for you.

2 Likes

Isnt there going to be one huge splurge of cash on transfers once Covid is beat - the whole sport will be like cashing in on a supermarket loyalty bonus. Will be a scream to see…

1 Like

The difference between us and city last year is that we are on the upside of the cycle, they are in a rebuilding phase…they probably looked At it rationally and thought they would and could wait. It’s a testament to how deep their pockets are that even in a rebuild they are looking very good for the league this season.

We are a different beast. We are at the zenith, something 5 years in the making. This is our moment, to stay in ascendency is just a tweak here and there.

The only thing really stopping us from winning the league is we don’t have a fit centre back. And I’m not being arrogant or presumptuous, it’s a cold hard fact most rational supporters of other teams would concede.

It won’t be like this in eighteen months time, this is the moment. The iron is hot, it doesn’t get this hot, the last time we had a moment like this to ‘seize the day’ was 2009.

I fully realise it’s not as easy as I make out, but with all klopps rational spending and zero net spends, this is the moment it should pay off, an actual fit centre half, there HAS to be one out there that allows us to release our two midfielders without relying on two kids ( who have manned the post valiantly and deserve plaudits).

The more I want to be rationale about it the more upset I get, surely klopp and this squad have earns the right to splash some money .

As for the reality of COVID finances, there’s plenty of money being made at the top of the tree…plenty, but that’s not for this thread.

Maybe FSG have a social responsibility to the people of liverpool? Different subject though.

4 Likes

Sorry but answer the question, a lovely monologue hasn’t.

Where is the money coming for to sign a center back? We are circ. -£100mil in revenue for the season to date.

Do you know our books? We could well have been set for a profit if it weren’t for Covid.

I know that mid-pandemic we were looking at £100mil losses. This was in August/September.

Do you have evidence this has changed? Doubt it.

There you go - November circ.£100mil.

1 Like

This is not time for Scooby Doo!

It’s always time for Scooby Doo!

But not Scrappy- he’s shite.

3 Likes

Alright then…ffs, Thelma or Daphne?

1 Like

Cartoons: Daphne
Film: Velma

3 Likes

Losing match day revenue (about £100m for us a season) does not take into account what our books would have looked like without Covid. Do you know we were operating at break even? A loss? A profit? What does the Covid loss impact on against the books? How much of the loss is against last year’s books (which I think will have been set for a big profit due to our low spending and success) and how much is against this year’s books with the increased revenues from the seemingly very successful Nike deal?

Edit; And the £55m tv revenue losses have already been delayed and won’t take immediate affect.

So to answer my question it’s no, you have no factual information to the contrary.

Not that I’ve looked at the clubs ability to fund a transfer worth 25plus, but I’d be surprised if they couldn’t.

Failing that, John Henry’s pocket by way of a loan.

Yes. I’m serious. Owners of businesses often inject capital in times of crisis.

3 Likes

Neither do you have any factual information over if the club is running at a loss and IF so what kind/level of loss that is. Just because we have had one revenue stream decrease does not mean we are automatically in trouble.

1 Like

Fuck me you must be the most obtuse person I’ve ever encountered.

Go fucking google it. Here’s 2;

2 reports which litterally spell out the financial impact and based on the fact we are in a national lockdown, none of that has changed, infact it’s got worse. I’d say my statement we are around £100mil in the red so far is pretty fucking accurate.

Anyway don’t bother responding, you offer nothing but a childs whine without any actual sustenance. I’ve asked you 3 times to post some sort of data to back up your warped view, and you’ve failed.

3 Likes

You’re missing the point completely.

Covid has affected us by roughly around £100m and counting. £55m is the tv package which is delayed to future revenue.

Now here is what I’m saying that you do not seem to get.

If LFC were operating at a profit, break even or a loss decides how bad that is.

If we were running at a loss then it’s a catastrophe.

Break even it’s bad.

At a profit we may still be ok.

The loss as well is going to be spread over two financial periods.

Without Covid both were likely to show profits due to us being well run, increasing revenues (incl Nike this year) and low costs. So till the accounts are released we are all in the dark.

We know there’s been a loss in revenue we have no way of knowing the impact now.

The Werner deal fell through because of the up front costs nature of the deal and high wage. We spent pretty much the same on Jota so it’s structure not price that was the issue.

4 Likes

The Werner article is a mute point considering we then went and bought Jota for a similar price. Maybe it was all about the structure of it in the end and thus signing a CB now will be the same.

7 Likes