The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 1)

@Iftikhar looks like our Omar Colley train has derailed. The player just recommitted to Sampdoria until 2025 and isn’t moving.

3 Likes
5 Likes

Top tier by your numbers.

2 Likes

He wouldn’t appear on that graph though I think as it starts at 3 attempts/90, whereas by the sound of it Bastoni is at 2.2/90?

2 Likes

Yes, 2.4 per 90 so doesn’t make as many aerial challenges but those he does he tends to win. Maybe he picks the ones to go for?

2 Likes

I think passing, speed and injury proneness will be our main attributes that we are looking for.

3 Likes

I think we will be looking for all the boxes to be ticked. Speed, capability on the ball, physically tough, good injury history, young enough to be developed, good at winning the ball on the ground and in the air. Got to meet minimum requirements across the board for me. That’s better than a “better”/more expensive/higher profile player who excels at some but doesn’t meet the minimum on others.

4 Likes

Tarkowski it is then.

1 Like

Upamecano is decent in the air with room for improvement.

He’s unbelievably quick, strong and agile for a player of his build. Probably the most ‘mobile’ player on that graph, including Gomez.

He’s a bit overrated by some but far too quickly written off by others because he’s not a beanpole. He has a lot of potential.

P.s. I wonder how useful the aerial duels attempted statistic is. Trying to win every high ball possible isn’t always the best option. It’s something we’ve criticised Lovren about for years, but on a graph it looks good. And look where Dejan is.

5 Likes

Yeah, one example was United away in 17/18, he went to battle with Lukaku every time, left spaces around and behind him, Rashford then also had a bit of success against Trent. Sometimes it’s better to play a more clever game, some forwards lure you out of position if you’re just too aggressive each time, that can’t be good.

3 Likes

Don’t shoot the messenger.

3 Likes

Can we cut out his tongue and then shoot that?

6 Likes

My point is that really there is not bias against Liverpool. There really is none except what’s deemed up in conspiracy theories.

A few bad decisions are a conspiracy? Nope just life where people make mistakes

3 Likes

Now that is definitely an unreliable rumour.

Is that you Sir Alex?

11 Likes

It’s not out of the realms of fantasy to think we may even sign 2 Center Backs.

We need someone to rotate with Gomez (White is ideal, very similar profile) but we also need an aerially dominant player (to rotate with Van Dijk and replace Matip longer term). I think we go for the aerially dominant player first, problem is they need quite a few other skills!

2 Likes

Don’t ya mean Slur Alex…
The Sir he got, me thinks was meant for Sir Bob Paisley. :0)

7 Likes

Rhys Williams already have those other skills, except for pace…

1 Like

Sir Bob was the one title he missed out on.
Absolute travesty.

5 Likes

Yeah for me pace is absolutely critical for replacing either Gomez or Van Dijk.

1 Like

That’s assuming that we’re going to want to continue to play a high line in an effort to compress the play and gegenpress in the opponent’s defensive third.

One of the things that may come from this injury crisis is an evolution in how we play where we give up slightly more space to the opposition, hold a lower line, and give back a bit more space to our forwards to operate in and our full backs to run into.

Shutting down passing angles with positional play from the likes of Henderson, Thiago, Keita and Fabinho and breaking the opponent’s lines through the middle. That would allow us to bring in CBs that don’t necessarily have to be the fastest players on the pitch.

4 Likes