The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 2)

Good point on the temperament difference. I don’t know if it is a nationality thing, but the Portuguese players usually have a bit of cunning in the locker, and I see that in Jota (not too much, so it becomes snide, like Fernandes at Man Utd).

Gakpo seems a bit chilled out, even if people are bumping, jostling and fouling him, so fair comment on that temperament difference between the players.

Well we’re sure not getting 150m or anywhere close to that so shouldn’t be long for that thought to dissipate from his mind :rofl:

£60m is about right for Jota I’d say if a club were to come in, especially after the unfortunate season he’s had…had he not been injured he could well be closer to 100m mark.

Every player will have a price if someone goes silly on Jota, 80-90m then great. We shouldn’t be selling him for less unless he absolutely wants to leave.

Our concentration should be on the 2CM and a CB without the outgoings we are already expecting or can expect.

The money generated in wages and the odd promising youngster should fill the coffers a fair bit to make the likes of Bellingham possible. Potentially we have 5 players for 3 positions and possibly 6 for 4. Only takes an injury and we are scraping again. I’m half tempted to try and get Doak out on a loan with the view of bringing him back the year after.

2 Likes

This is exactly why I’m on the transfer committee and you’re not.

Ill take £61m and no Saint Maximum!

I rejected the position before they offered it to you…you were 2nd choice!

So he’s Mo Salah and you are Julian Draxler

EDIT: No one fucking “aktwually” me if Draxler vs Mo was not the actual decision being debated :rofl:

1 Like

No way I want to see us left with only 1 senior attacker in backup and then have to rely on the likes of Carvalho and other kids.

We’re a serious side, aiming to go back fighting for serious things.

2 Likes

Interesting discussions around Jota and Virgil.

Jota to stay would be my preference by a million miles.

He may be considered 5th choice by some, but in most PL clubs he makes 1st or 2nd choice. The intensity of games, and number of games have gone up so many levels, that I think to be truly competitive you need at least five first team attackers/forwards (and that’s before you worry about injuries - but that’s where the Carvalho’s, Doak’s etc come in). He also gives us something different to all the other strikers we have. That variety is key if we are to challenge next season.

On Virgil, yeah not a chance do we sell him. Just seeing how Thiago Silva still copes in the PL in to his late 30s is enough for me to know I’d rather not lose a leader like Virgil from the team. He still has plenty to give, and imagine that his fellow CB’s (and others in the team), learn a lot from him.

I’d be disappointed if we sold Jota, as he certainly knows where the back of the net is and can contribute as a forward who can play well anywhere across the forward line. Especially with Firmino moving on.

That would leave us with Salah, Nunez, Gakpo and Diaz for the front line. I don’t think that is enough. The other options are very young kids or players who feel somewhere between Midfirld and attack.

2 Likes

If we’re serious about signing Bellingham there is going to have to be some compromise elsewhere. We’re not going to be able to finance that deal, and sign the other players we need, without selling assets that we would rather not sell.

Jota and Kelleher are the two that I’ve seen rumoured. Both fantastic players, great characters etc, but there are arguements for letting them leave if the right money comes in. Availability is one of them, not seeing much acknowledgement that Jota is often out injured in here (as is Kelleher).

1 Like

I can see your point, even it’s pretty difficult for me to accept. While neither is anywhere near Keita/Lallana/Sturridge territory (yet), their respective injury records do suggest that they might be made available to raise funds for other signings.

That said, even taking Jota’s injuries into consideration, it’s Gomez and Fabinho who should be sold before thinking of selling any other player - at least in my opinion. Between the two of them, Kelleher and Phillips, I think that one major signing can be funded, say, a centre back. Meanwhile, club should invest big into two midfielders (and find a backup goalie).

Sell Jota only if it’s possible to find a forward of similar quality but better fitness record. Otherwise, keep him as he’s an excellent player going through what is probably the most difficult year of his playing career.

1 Like

I don’t remember Kelleher having any (bigger?) injury apart from the one last summer. Did he have one when he wasn’t in the senior squad?

Agreed.

I’m certainly not wanting Jota to leave, I’ve barely uttered a bad word about him since he was linked/signed. Just playing devil’s advocate because I can see what the logic would be.

My take on Jota was more based on what I thought Jota would want if the season played out the way I expected, with enough games played by all for him to get a sense that the pecking order had solidified with him not in the cup final team. Of course the season hasn’t played out anything like that so it’s a moot point, but it is still how I expect the pecking order will play out once (if) they are ever all fit enough to have one or more be disappointed at sitting out more than he’d like.

Not sure why we want Jota to be sold, we look to be moving to a 4222 which uses 3 forwards potentially 4.

I’m really happy with our front line options, means we can keep consistency there now and focus on midfield/defence.

1 Like

We look to be doing something different every two weeks.

Long term the 433 is still probably the plan.

If the Jota money is to fund a bid for Jude then he can leave for 80m. :grin:

From my perspective since Everton it’s been pretty much 4222.

Nunez/Salah as the 2 up top a bit like a traditional 2 from a 442
Gakpo drifting on the left and in the spaces, right sided midfielder (Elliot) doing similar but a bit more defensive
Fabinho/Hendo/Bjacetic as the two playing like double pivots
Fullbacks overlapping again

Maybe moving to a 433 is the objective but we’ve got much better stability at both ends now.

433 or 4222 it’s 3 forwards basically so having 6 (I’d include Doak) is perfect numbers wise.

We’d definitely want a replacement if he went that’s for sure.

I don’t see it happening personally but I could see the logic if we’d identified a target we think could offer what Jota does who’d cost say half what we think we could sell Jota for. Or there’s an opportunistic deal to be had, a Taki type player with a low release clause or someone like Bowen if West Ham did go down.

I certainly wouldn’t be shopping Jota around but if a silly offer presented itself I’d be pretty confident we could find a suitable replacement for less than we could sell him for.

1 Like