The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 2)

Crazy thing is it’s kind of obscene when you look at this.

I’m on 30k a year I would be happy for one month of a footballers wages.

4 Likes

Market determines…scarcity of product…very few people have the skills and physical attributes and abilities to do what they do. At the very top level they are almost superhuman. That’s what you pay for.

What should be questioned far more is things like CEO salaries because those are definitely not deserved

I think that’s a discussion for another thread.

I can remember asking a Chelsea-supporting friend how much they were paying Timo Werner, as I could miss every chance I got, too, for a lot less money.

2 Likes

I remember watching Zidane in a preseason friendly in the flesh (Madrid vs Roma) and thinking this guy is worth every penny and more! He shielded the ball from three defenders and came out even while getting fouled!

Many people have skills the market dictates what is expensive and what is not.

Not that those skills are particularly worthwhile.

Estate Agents are one group I can think of.

Sorry if anyone on here is one.

4 Likes

We live in an imperfect world :man_shrugging:t2:

I often wonder what aliens would think if they visited our planet and learnt that people are paid many, many times more to kick a ball around than they are to save people’s lives or to educate the next generation.

4 Likes

Should have had salary cap decades ago.

Unfortunately we are where we are, and it will never change without co-ordinated worldwide fan action.

1 Like

Prolonged it. We all die eventually sooner or later.

Either way, attending to others’ health is a more constructive action than playing a child’s game.

3 Likes

Lose Willy Wonka GIF

I know. First hand. My ex is a gp. They really don’t make much money compared to the shit they have to deal with. And it affects your personal life.

3 Likes

Depends how their society is shaped to be fair.
Sorry back to shit transfer rumours.

The problem with football is that in the grand scheme of things, it is an unimportant distraction. And yet the human condition has us giving massive amounts of attention to this stuff, hence forums like this fine place!

LFC has been an enduring love of my life, and I wouldn’t change a thing about that.

But yes, in the cold light of day, how the players are rewarded and regarded is all rather silly, certainly in relation to nurses, teachers and the like.

1 Like

Totally agree with all of that. Though think it is an important distraction. Life is difficult for many and the 90mins (for better or worse), and the discussions in the pub, provide a break from that

1 Like

Good stuff this :+1:

Ignoring the lucrative lives these high profile players live and the many onfield controversies there are also lots of positive messages conveyed through football that help people all over the world through adversity.

If you earn £100m for your business, you should be paid £33m. Simple rule of thumb. Revenue in 2022 was just over 700m Euros. Call it £600m so £200m for wages. I’m in a hurry here so simply divide by 11 and then by 52. Gives you £350,000 per week. Now spread that on a sliding scale across the players, manager staff etc and interestingly, it’s not far off.

In the GRAND scheme of things we all eventually pass away. How we spend our time on this earth without going nuts MATTERS, which is why we pay for entertainment (although we could argue it’s LFC that making us go bonkers at the moment).
Yes logically speaking teaching and the medical profession should be earning more but human life is t logical. We’re not Vulcans.

1 Like

Back to football rumours for a second, I see the latest midfielder linked is Palhinha at Fulham.

I think the thing that will most annoy me this summer is not missing out on Bellingham but missing out on Bellingham AND then buying a lad or two we could have signed last summer for less money.

Imagine we ended up with both Palhinha and Nunes in the summer for £25-£40m more than they were sold for last summer and having spent a year making do with what we had in midfield.

He’s done well at Fulham and only cost about £10m more than we paid to loan Arthur. Would be very annoying to then spend a fortune on him just one year later.

2 Likes