The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 2)

That may have been what led us to stop? It was one of the things publicised during the Emre Can contract saga.

1 Like

I was actually just joking.

True but silly me thought that he would be over it after having a great season just prior to joining. There are a lot of moments in life where I would like to know how things would have panned out had certain stuff happened the other way and his injury against Roma is one of those ā€œwhat ifā€ moments. He looked amazing up to that point, completely in tune with high octane football team was playing. Maybe he wouldnā€™t have been able to get himself to grips with tactical evolution that followed but it was nice having a midfielder who was a bundle of energy and wasnā€™t afraid to break the lines and get into scoring positions - and score relatively often from long range.

3 Likes

Yeah, I think that period is perhaps romanticized sometimes looking back (few goals against City, etc.), but thereā€™s no way denying that he was very good. Gini was out injured for a bit as well and I strongly believe Ox wouldā€™ve maybe even started the final in Kiev, try and hurt Kroos in transitions.

Wrong, itā€™s a release clause for if 60% Spanish wants him to leave Liverpool.

All the Spanish news site saying he wants to stay at Barca. He is only 17.

We can offer Gavi the chance to be part of an exciting future at world football and learn from his idol, Thiago Alcantara. Of course, we can offer him a good salary as well which gives his agent a good fee as well.

He may wants Barca but all we need to do is to point out the short termism that Barca is doing.

1 Like

I understand Gavi is only 17 and wants to stay and play for his childhood team. I mean if I was 17 Iā€™d want to stay at Liverpool. So it wouldnā€™t surprise me if we canā€™t get him out of there.
Then again he could just look at Pique & Fabregas where they left early and ended up going back once developed and they were older and a bit wiser. I recently watched Neville interviewing Pique on the overlap and it was actually quite a good interview, in which Pique opened up about his time living in Sale when he made the move. So what better person really to ask than Pique if youā€™re Gavi. Then again Pique did say in the same interview that Gavi was special and the future of Barcelonaā€¦ā€¦so see what happens with Gavi.

Doubt Gavi will be asking Pique who was the man shagging his mother behind Shakiras back about career advice lol

1 Like

https://twitter.com/Frenkiesmo_Gone/status/1532352440388812800?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1532352440388812800|twgr^|twcon^s1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fthesportsgrail.com%2Fwho-is-aurora-belen-gavira-mother-of-barcelona-player-pablo-gavi-news-with-gerard-pique-name-and-photo%2F

1 Like

Well if thatā€™s true, forget that then.

Just saw this and almost p***** myself

3 Likes

Donā€™t believe for one second that we are actually after Gavi.

2 Likes

maybe.

but yknowā€¦she was thereā€¦andā€¦yknowā€¦this happenedā€¦then all of a suddenā€¦before you knew itā€¦

Maybe weā€™re just yanking Barcaā€™s chain to make them spend more on the kidā€™s wages. Ensure they stay in financial trouble for as long as possible.

More likely we are nothing to do with it at all and the kidā€™s agent is just using our name.

1 Like

When your current manager is Xavi that line doesnā€™t land quite so well.

Pique was part of the generation of Spanish academy players who were coming to the Prem to sign pro contracts they were not yet old enough to sign in Spain. He was a long way from the Barca first team at the time and the move was about supposedly accelerating his development and getting paid. Itā€™s a world away from Gaviā€™s situation so while he might insight about the challenges or experiences of leaving Barcaā€™s academy and living abroad, the perspective of coming back a better wont really land with a kid whose already got a first team regular and Spanish international. He doesnt need the experience to help establish himself as a first team player.

2 Likes

Probably, but my way is much more fun.

1 Like

Thatā€™s the big difference. Pique could get into the Man Utd first team - or close to it - when he was miles away from being a regular for Barcelona. The power balance between Spain and England switched a long time ago.

Gavi is a regular for Barcelona but would be miles away from that for Liverpool. Maybe he would be in a few years, but not right now. Just using basic statistics heā€™d be our least creative midfielder by a mile (he manages fewer key passes than any other midfielder Iā€™ve seen so far just 0.68 per game - in context our current lowest is Jones with 1.13), only a slightly more direct attacking threat than James Milner and the only one of our midfielders he is better at defensively is Jones. Liverpool are not going to pay a 17 year old close to 150k per week to be their 6th choice central midfielder.

Moving here would make no sense for him and it especially wouldnā€™t make sense for us to pay him that much money.

3 Likes

Iā€™m hugely skeptical. Iā€™m sure heā€™s great and on a trajectory to be absolutely world class. But I do not want to see a 17 year old learning his trade in our midfield. I also think he wonā€™t have come across anything like the grocks heā€™d have to face here (or the refereeing), and I fear he would be very easily kicked out of football matches.