The Unreliable LFC Transfer Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 3)

Same reason why we did business with Al Ettiwackyfacky.

Come on Mascot, did you really need to ask?

And no, no one’s paying 100m for Guimares or 80m for Gallagher/Colwill…let’s not enter silly terrority, points can be made without the need for exaggeration.

1 Like

This isn’t just a PL rule though, it is a standard accounting process for any business when it comes to dealing with buying and selling assets. In the same way a company will buy a car and depreciate it over the course of its life cycle football clubs are entitled to do the same process with a players registration by ammortising it.

There are benefits and negatives, Chelsea were very smart by taking advantage of 8 year contracts, it meant they could do more business until the loophole was fixed, but the negative is they have probably already booked close to 100m in transfer costs for the next 7 years, before they sign anyone else. They will likely cover this by selling a couple of players each year.

2 Likes

Probably is they will have to shift them at a lot less the cost.

They are a club that without continued success could struggle.

Liverpool can miss out on the CL for a season or so before it starts cutting in. If the PL is now starting to become serious on this stuff it’s going be interesting time for those teams that are obviously lying

ManU paid 80m for Maguire? So don’t say never.

Ignoring the issue with Newcastle and that he’s a cunt whose attitude doesnt fit, Bruno makes no sense for us from a footballing perspective. For all the talk of Alexis not being a real 6, neither is Bruno. He is doing his best to do a job there for Newcastle, but does better when allowed to go and chase the ball and contribute closer to the opponents goal. Having to play more conservatively in the 6 for them takes away a lot of what he does well without him having the same skills as Alexis to operate as a deep lying playmaker in the role.

So he’d either come to us as a 6 and be still not the 6 fans think we need and not as a good fill in for it as Alexis. Or he’d come in for one of the 8s, an area where we’re already stacked.

2 Likes

Yeah I’d rather get a 6 who can play 8. We’ve got a lot of 8s and even Endo and Bajcetic profile more as an 8. I’m sure we’ll assess in the summer and decide what we need. This is obviously dependent on what happens with Thiago and if we feel Bajcetic is a real option going forward. I hope his injury issues sort themselves out.

There are some similarities at first, but if I had to compare, then Guimaraes is more of a #6 than Mac. The sample is also different though. Overall, I’m relatively satisfied with Mac so far and I think he’ll be good for us long term, but I’d like to see him play with more personality.

100% this. This is why I say he doesn’t make us better. If anything in midfield, we need a stud proper 6.

1 Like

Not unreliable, but obviously not enough to open a thread, yet…

Ornstein on Club Brugge’s Antonio Nusa:

Liverpool like him but cannot do anything on it until there is clarity over their new manager and sporting director.

Just a week ago, HLN reported that his club was close to agreeing everything with Tottenham but some reports emerged yesterday that Brentford will be his actual destination. I haven’t seen him play but I’ve known about him for a while because Twitter raves about him.

1 Like

Lots of moving parts. Nusa is a good player, only from clips I’ve seen since I heard his name a while ago. Remains to be seen if he will go on to be elite, but he has a fair chance.

Still, you need the big rocks in first before you know what’s what with recruitment. Manager, DOF.

For all we know maybe Mo is going to see Klopp’s exit as a signal for him to move on to the Saudis, after winning the Prem with us? And maybe we will raise Nusa with Xabi and he will say I like him, but we don’t need him as I’m bringing Wirtz with me to Liverpool?

There’s gonna be a few twists and turns.

2 Likes

Or Salah stays because whoever the manager/dof is wants to keep him.

Does show probably that this stuff is still happening as much as some would want to believe otherwise.

With Jurgen’s announcement I’m certain as can be that it unleashes myriad conversations, which is why he had to go public with it, as many moves or permutations will be under review.

Managers, coaches, players - the knock on effect will create a lot of ripples.

As for Salah, I hope he stays. Tremendous player and our most reliable source of goals. My best guess is he sees out his current deal and has another tilt at the CL under the new manager, but it’s impossible to say.

I am quietly confident though. I think we will come out of this well, because Jurgen will leave behind a great situation for the new man to inherit.

3 Likes

Big decisions but I am optimistic if we choose the right person (s).

I think Salah would probably go once more, if it was Xabi I’d have no concerns about competing in Europe anyhow.

1 Like

Continuing on that…

Sky:

Brentford’s deal to sign teenage Norwegian winger Antonio Nusa from Club Brugge is stalling. On Sunday, Brentford agreed a £25m (€30m) deal in principle with the Belgian club to sign the 18-year-old, with the Bees willing to allow the 18-year-old to stay at the Belgian club on loan for the rest of the season. However, it is understood there are complications and the door is potentially re-opening to other clubs. Nusa is yet to undergo a medical with Brentford.

2 Likes

Rumoured the deal is off. Failed the medical

Think transfer decisions will be pretty much on hold right now until we get the two main roles sorted.

Doesn’t block us from continuing to scout and stuff, but I don’t think we’ll bring or work on anyone in until the new head coach is in place behind the scenes and talks start (which could be well before the announcement).

This first team squad is good in terms of numbers, it’s not like there’s panic for new signings anyway. We’ll also have to quickly decide more or less the way to approach things with the big 3 players until 2025.

Perhaps only if there’s a young player for the Academy or something like that.

So transfers are the least of my worries right now, I don’t even think about it.

2 Likes

Decisions yes, but not the foundational planning. The team who are still on board, led now by Spearman, will still be developing dossiers on our existing players and simultaneously developing a deep backlog of potential targets for each of those positions/roles.

The new director and manager will obviously be the decision makers, but the infrastructure for doing that job well is still in place

A new director and manager will come in with a very well developed idea of who is losing effectiveness

1 Like

That’s why I said scouting, following what’s happening, continuing on players that would’ve been targets if Jurgen was here next summer… nothing new.

But no moves and decisions, unless there’s a young player for the Academy.