The What's cooking thread

I’m the sorta guy who reuses a left over roasted / grilled / tandoori chicken to make this particular dish …

Well that’s how chicken makhni aka butter chicken originated … But so there

Off to get my first bowl.
It’ll be the only decent thing to come out of Liverpool today

1 Like

Fucking hell… I’ve been concentrating on some other things knowing that we are gonna do a colossal fuck up on this.

I freeze everything fresh from garlic, ginger, green chillies, coriander, mint and parsley. If it is added to the cooking pot from frozen, it should be alright

Exactly. Alright, not superb, sparkling, fresh, magnificent etc.

This is a very popular dish for snacking as a group or even as a meal itself and it’s called Indian Rojak, Rojak is our local word for something like what you would call a salad. We always thought this is something that is a food in some parts of India but now apparently it may not be true. Does anyone eat this anywhere else than in Singapore and Malaysia?

1 Like

Not a indian dish.

1 Like

I can believe so, although only the Indians here in Singapore sell them and I am curious how what they evolve this dish/snack from…

My favourite dish is now a Biryani. Do you have a simple recipe for this? I don’t eat meat so I occasionally get a veggie biryani from my local take away which is OK. I have used a biryani paste before and tried online recipes but I did wonder if that is a dish you would make or even recognise?

I’ll post a hyderabadi biryani recipe later

I’ve tried making chicken biryani from this website and it’s turned out well… This is the vegetarian variant of that

Key things to note

1. Onions need to be deep fried until crisp dark golden brown. 250 grams of fresh onions make around 50 to 60 grams of fried onions. If you have a indian shop near by , you might get them with you

2. Wash the basmati rice until the water runs clear off the rice and then soak the rice for atleast half an hour.

1 Like

This a hundred times when cooking Basmati rice.

Second day Scouse shortly :grinning:

1 Like

And for a quick as well as detailed recipe of hyderabadi biryani , this is as legit as it gets.

3 Likes

One of my favourite dishes and a christmas special in our household on account of how long it takes me to make it.

Tonight however , and for the first time , I’m going full on cheat code and am going to try and make a version of it in … a rice cooker !

Pray for me.

3 Likes

Hope it turns out well. It won’t exactly be a biryani but I’ve tried those a couple of times and they generally turn out well

1 Like

I eat Briyani very often here in Singapore, it’s just one of those foods that look so deceptively simple but damn nice.

It is simple. Just takes a lot of time to prep rather than the actual making process.

Generally I split the time and marinate the chicken / meat the night before. Also fry the onions the night before as well…

It becomes easier the next day when basically all that is needed to do is soak the rice , boil water and cook the rice… And then arrange the meat and rice and cook again.

It wasn’t too bad at all. Not like the real thing , but the chicken stayed moist so I was happy enough.

1 Like

Yeah not that I am going to prepare Briyani myself, I think there are so many stalls in Singapore that do a good one for very consumer friendly prices…Too many, I can safely say I had not a lousy briyani in Singapore, with some really excellent ones but by and large I prefer those which comes with really rich and fragrant chicken curry which goes really well with the rice.