The What's cooking thread

Dare I ask???

We deep fry them up here in Scotland

1 Like

Aubergines (egg plants) are cheap so Ratatouille. I cooked that to perfection.
The roast pork wasn’t great, having to ‘fry’ it a bit to finish off the cooking. Don’t ever try to be clever cooking meat just get it done to the core.
Means couscous is out for a while (ratatouille doesn’t have enough liquid for that) so rice or pasta for a week. Daughter seems happy with it even serves herself!

1 Like

I also risked a small slice of pineapple tart at work. Too sweet and the core was left on it so bloody hard, almost broke my denture, I wasn’t happy and it confirmed the only way to eat pineapple is fresh and cut properly with nothing added or taken away (except that hard horrible denture breaking core).

1 Like

Nothing to do with me… Happened upon that picture when reading another article. Thought it unusual enough that it might spark some interest to others if they adventurous enough to try it themselves.
Not for me though W8… Plain chocolate is my preference :0)

Made korma the other day. One of the easiest curries to cook.

2 Likes

Sirloin steak, leeks and chilli with hasselback potatoes last night. Cooking for one is bliss. Might do a brutally hot curry tonight, or a baby spicy Jambalaya. The agony of choice.

1 Like

How’d you make it ?

Followed this recipe to the DOT

1 Like

Fuck … that looks unbelievably good. I might give it a try when I’m feeling brave one day. :slightly_smiling_face:

nearing 50, even though i’m relatively healthy my doc tells me to lay off the high-cholesterol foods. Indian cooking is a treat now. that dish looks wicked good though.

we did a 10lb easter ham on our camping bbq (weber q2 series) and the leftovers went into a split pea soup. getting tired of ham now…

Kedgeree for lunch for us. Got some lovely fresh spring cabbage yesterday. Half of that went into a chinese soup with noodles with the stock from Sunday’s chicken and the rest I will use today.

Funnily enough this is one of the very first things I remember learning to cook in school , and have only recently returned to it. A really simple but satisfying dish.

4 Likes

Korma especially requires a quite a bit of oil. If you can get fried onions in some indian/pakistani store , that will cut your oil intake somewhat though.

The majority of the oil is used for deep fried onions. It’s not as if it’s essentially used to deep fry the meat.

But yeah , it’s high oil compared to the other Indian dishes and mostly it’s a two to three times in a year thing.

deep fried by any means is still deep fried. but I do keep a bag of these in the pantry sometimes

1 Like

My partner isnt a huge meat eater and as I do most of the cooking will often try to do something that gives her something satisfying even if she goes very light on the meat. Sometimes it is full veggie though, so this was the sweet and sour tofu (with shaved carrot, asparagus and sautéed onions) from a couple of nights ago. Sauce is really easy but I tend to go heavier on the acid than most recipes call for.

It was good, but needed a meat kick after that, so this was the sheperd’s pie from the next night

3 Likes

apparently… roast beef is on the menu in Texas by the news reports

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2023/04/13/dairy-farm-explosion-injures-1-person-kills-18000-cattle/

Someone once hit me with a huge pot of curry. I fainted and fell into a deep korma.

Allen Strickland Williams Eyes GIF by alixmcalpine

Macaroni cheese with Jnr. Everyday is a school day.

Tonight’s side dish

Hope you added a splash of soy sauce into the pan…
Looks yummy