The What's cooking thread

Ah, the sauce is from here:

looks like a good base for some butter, splash of red wine and 2 tbsp of brown gravy mix while those are resting. finish with the drippings from the resting and fresh pepper.

Balsamic, maple syrup and red wine cooked down :slight_smile:

maple syrup on steak? dudeā€¦

Counterbalances the balsamic. Sweet and savoury etc. Only a splash. Umami :slight_smile:

Too many steaks in too small a pan. One at a time.
Looks like the bears breakfast Daddy, Mummy and little bear. LOL

Baked potato with haggis and beans last night.
Very filling.

I have a much bigger pan but I donā€™t have a much bigger hobā€¦ā€¦

1 Like

Avocado toast, slice of ham and two eggs sunnyside up, cooked med

Itā€™s whatā€™s for brunch. Stopped eating three meals a day, now having a morning shake, early lunch and light dinner

4 Likes

I felt bad being in hospital while my partnerā€™s parents were visiting so sunday I wanted to cook a nice breakfast for everyone. I looked at what we had in the fridge and decided to go with a fritatta

SautƩed red onion, then added to that dicedyellow and orange bell peppers, a packet of cubed ham, quartered some cherry tomatoes and half a packet or spinach and let that cook down until the spinach had wilted and all the water was cooked off.

Then I added 12 eggs, beaten and combined with about 5oz of grated smoked gouda, garlic powder and paprika. Let the egg sit in the pan for about 2 mins for a base to form then start gently pushing the unset portion of the mixture back and forth. Once the egg mixture is about 50% set toss it in the oven for 20 mins

Bon Appetit Gourmet GIF by Studios 2016

3 Likes

I do something similar with leftover potatoes. fry them in a 30cm skillet with a bit of oil until they get a bit of crunch to them, mix in whatever veg I have (mushrooms, broccoli, onions, leftover brussels, peppers, etc) and season. I then add in 6-8 beaten eggs with paprika and cover to let the egg firm up a bit. Uncover and top it with shredded cheese (whatever is handy) and under the broiler for two mins at 400F

1 Like

Yeah, there is a version of a spanish omlette I make that starts with the potato base that is so good.

potato is such a nice clean starch, easy to grow. Yukon gold nugget potatoes, halved and boiled for 10min to soften up then into a roasting pan with olive oil, onions, garlic cloves and carrots and greek seasoning covered in foil for 10min then convection baked for 10 more. gets you that bit of caramelized crunch. usually serve as a side with bbq proteins like chicken or jerk tenderloin

looking forward to corn season here. lots of local growers that have fantastic peaches-and-cream for $1/ea

Made some French toast at the weekend, or egg bread as it is known by someā€¦ Whisked the eggs, added the milk, whisked at bit more then poured the mixture into a flat dishā€¦
Soaked two pieces of thick sliced loaf on both sidesā€¦ little bit of butter melted down in a large frying pan, placed the bread in to begin heating through.
Flipped them over a couple of times as they were browning up, sprinkled some natural cane sugar onto a warm plate, lifted the bread onto the sugar/plate. Another sprinkle of sugar on to the tops of the bread, a few pinches of cinnamon as wellā€¦ jobs a goodā€™un. Tuck in using a forkā€¦ Mmmmmmm really niceā€¦ better than what I normally make.
Putting the milk back into the fridge, noticed I had used Banana Milk Shake instead of my normal full fatā€¦ Doh!
Can only say though, I think I might have just discovered how to make the tastiest egg bread everā€¦
Use Banana Milk Shake.!
You can all thank me after you try it yourself :0)

Tip. Thereā€™s a Rick Stein recipe from his weekends away series. Bologna. Iā€™ll make it this week and post details. Tagliatelle Salsciche, stunning and you can cook it in 20 mins. Trust me, itā€™s epic.

Whereā€™s the sun?

thereā€™s two yolks there, but to melt the cheese I have to put a lid on the frying pan half-way and it makes the top of the yolk go white.

quick 5min breakfast though, I quite enjoy them.

Animated GIF

I Shall Not Hurl Mike Myers GIF by The Academy Awards

Trust me, try this:
Wouldnā€™t bother making the pasta though.