The What's cooking thread

Yellow part is potato porige (alur dom) the black thing is liver curry ( kolija bhuna).

2 Likes

Your ultimate guide to chillies: from mild to wild (msn.com)

Vincenzo is baiting Ramsey again :0)

Iā€™m not italian but have spent a lot of time there. My spag bol is made to Mrsā€™s tastes. Wouldnā€™t pass muster at a Bologna tasting evening but still damn tasty.

Pan of fresh tomatoes on the boil for an hour or so.
Onions fried for a while then garlic. Remove from pan
Brown the mince, add chopped peppers.
Combine. add a bottle of good red wine, can of chopped toms and a tube of tom puree. simmer for a few hours. Now add basil leaves. Not authentic but jolly marvellous cuisine.

1 Like

No carrots? Not really a Bolognese, as you say.

Put them (and as many other vegies as I can) in all other dishes but not spag bol, thatā€™s like putting garlic in a cottage pie.

OOOOh could be starting something here.

Pineapple on pizza anybody?

Premier League Everyday Dilemmas Ii Milner And Robertson GIF by Liverpool FC

1 Like

Garlic goes in the mince in a cottage pie and pineapple belongs on pizza if you think it does.

It is not a Bolognese if it doesnā€™t start with a soffrito. You make a marinara with meat added.

1 Like

Chef at work presented a pot of Bolognese, full of diced carrots.
Wrong on so many levels.

My missus has been making me Bolognese for over 30 years.
Sheā€™s not a trained chef, and she doesnā€™t refer to recipe books, but Iā€™ve never tasted a better one elsewhere. Not a carrot in sight.

She did introduce chopped peppers once, I told her if it happened again sheā€™d be packing her bags.

1 Like

I put peppers in purely for the nutritional value. Roasting them off first gives a lovely flavour.

What a brave brave man

The best way I disguise carrots or peppers in a sauce, but still retain the nutritional valueā€¦ Is to grate them first and they reduce down to virtually nothing

I should add, I love peppers, and carrots.
But they have no place in my Bolognese

3 Likes

Talking of food with Pineapplesā€¦ Erm, no thank you, not in a million years

## Toast Hawaii

We all know how divisive a ham and pineapple pizza can be. But how about the same combo on toast, with melted cheese and a cherry on top? This unusual combination became popular in Germany the 1950s thanks to TV chef Clemens Wilmenrod, and was a common dish up until the 1980s, when it faded out of fashion. But if the Hawaiian pizza is still going strong, we think thereā€™s room for this dish to make a comeback too.

If you can see the carrots, it hasnā€™t been done properly. What makes a Bolognese a Bolognese is not the meat, it is the soffrito base - carrots, celery, onions, but diced so fine as to be almost a mulch, then cooked together so you could not them apart.

Also traditionally milk.

1 Like

I am old enough to actually remember these dimly

1 Like

:0) Some more to run past your memory bank

## Crown jewel dessert

Crown jewel dessert, also known as broken glass cake, is without a doubt a show-stopper. The recipe was featured in a 1960s cookbook called Joys of Jell-O and calls for orange, cherry and lime Jell-O, cut into cubes and folded into thick lemon cream, made from lemon Jell-O and Dream Whip (a branded whipped cream). If youā€™re not a fan of Jell-O but want to recreate the same look, give semifreddo a whirl.

## Jell-O Under the Sea Salad

In mid-century America, neither Jell-O nor salads were exclusively sweet or savoury, and dishes such as Under the Sea Salad found their place on the buffet table somewhere between the main dishes and desserts. A recipe for this dish featured in Joys of Jell-O. Itā€™s a cream cheese and pear base topped with lime Jell-O, and it doesnā€™t sound half bad ā€“ maybe just skip serving it on the bed of salad leaves.

I never disliked the dessert forms, but as a child I remember being served the vegetable monstrosities leftover from dinner parties. The only remotely acceptable thing about them was the opportunity to trick my younger brother into eating them thinking they were desserts

I know one very good, very unhealthy dessert to make from carrots though.