The What's cooking thread

nothing like the holidays blender GIF

What flavour do carrots impart ? apart from Body ?

Carrots are somewhat sweet, and some of the sugars become more pronounced for us when you sautee them. There are many people who throw sugar into a spaghetti sauce trying to get similar sweetness, but that easily results in too pronounced sweetness (glucose), where the sucrose in a carrot breaks down into both fructose and glucose when heated.

A French mirepoix is quite similar, but usually different ratios of onion/carrot/celery.

A tomato sauce with onions and meat is really more of a Napolitana, although traditionally Napolitanas donā€™t use ground meat. On the other hand, you would put it on spaghetti, which you would not do with a Bolognese.

1 Like

Again donā€™t onions give those sweetness as well when sauteed.

Not disputing the recipe and itā€™s history , but from a cooking perspective , donā€™t see anything apart from providing body to the dish.

Onions add a little bit of sweetness as well, yes, but they are more there to add a sharper acidity. Classically, you would use a white onion rather than the sweeter yellow onion which is more common in Indian cuisine. Never a red onion though.

The body is also indeed a critical part of what it adds.

just accept it, carrots are a very good ingredients for nutrition.

1 Like

Not expecting you to try it ofcourse , But youā€™ll probably get a better result with Sweet Potatoes (Not sure what they are called in north america)

Again , damn easy to make and very tasty as well. But donā€™t blame me if your arteries clog up.

when I thin carrots in my garden, my neighbor takes them and turns them into a base cake, without the icing. far less sugar

Kick the cherry to the curb and youā€™ve got a cracking afternoon snack

Damn. I came to post about Halwa :yum:

2 Likes

Garden is doing well. Had a watering hose burst while I was away, on the other side of the yard. Lost a blueberry plant and my green onions. Had to replant both

1 Like

talking about chillies , you guys have tried any of the brands for this one ? Thereā€™s a Harry Kane interview as well , amazing how I could understand his speaking only when he had those sauces. Normally canā€™t figure his speak out at all.

1 Like

Sweet potatoes and/or yams, though yam is actually a different plant.

It would work to make a sauce, quite possibly quite a good sauceā€¦but not a Bolognese.

1 Like

Besides Carrots adding a sweetness to sauces and stews, they are also very good for your eyesight - I mean, has anyone ever seen a rabbit having to wear a pair of glassesā€¦! :0)

I will get my coatā€¦

1 Like

@Arminius if youā€™re ever in St Jacobs, pop into ā€œthe Tasteā€

1 Like

Just when I thought it couldnā€™t get worse.

My wifeā€™s Bolognese gets its body from fucking great lumps of mince, chunky mushrooms and chopped onions.
None of that ground beef shit that looks like the sawdust from the butchers floor

1 Like

how do you make your bolognese? Or are you one of those fellas that likes to ridicule others for their efforts in the kitchen but canā€™t make toast without burning it?

Fozzie Bear Reaction GIF

You think I got married 33 years ago to do my own fucking cooking?