The What's cooking thread

that’s what I figured. so this is your bolognese

I’ve been using this recipe for over 25 years, since the chef first appeared on the BBC.

Absolutely top class.

1 Like

No.
My wife could never get the lid off that.
You think I got married 33 years ago to take lids off jars for my wifes cooking?

the minute I see butter in an Italian recipe I cringe. extra virgin olive oil!

I’d sub tomato paste for fresh roma tomatoes but it’s really close what what I do for my chicken cacciatore sauce.

1 Like

for any of the gardeners on the board who like to make their own pasta sauce (pasatta), I’d highly recommend two varieties of Italian Roma tomatoes for their sauce. Pozzano is my favorite, big fleshy tomatoes with thin skin. the other is San Marzano which is a popular base for authentic Napoli pizza sauce.

Also, if you’ve had blossom rot in your tomato plants before. A quick and easy fix is to sprinkle some powdered milk around the base of your plants when your fruit starts to develop. the calcium is key in preventing blossom rot. keep foliar spray to a minimum just water at the ground level once temperatures cool off. never let any part of the plant touch the soil, keep at least 6" of the main stem open and remove any foliage inside the plants to allow air flow.

3 Likes

makes sense for cooking down the soffrito, it just seems a little more French than Italian

Not to be said in some circles, but the soffrito of Bologna might have come from the French mirepoix.

don’t forget about the spanish sofrito, which is the ancestor of cajun jambalaya base.

it’s all so very…Gaul.

The holy trinity of so many countries cuisine.

1 Like

Angry Fast And Furious GIF by Feliks Tomasz Konczakowski

That’s the daddy.

1 Like

When cooking with butter, I have seen many times it being explained, that a drop of Olive Oil is added to the pan, purely to prevent the butter from smoking the kitchen out

This guy was brilliant, - here he is cooking another favourite dish - Carbonara

1 Like

Someone told me @Iftikhar had his own Flag designed… didn’t believe it until I saw this :0)

Oh man, not the eggplant saga again :upside_down_face:

1 Like

For the last fucking time, it’s “aubergine”. :rage:

2 Likes

I prefer to call them brinjal.

2 Likes

That, or simply begun :eggplant:

And the plant is native to the Indian subcontinent, so my name choice trumps all other name choices.

1 Like

What vegetables is :eggplant:?

Nutritious eggplant is a misunderstood veggie ... er ... fruit

Fact: While it’s generally thought of as a vegetable, eggplant is actually a fruit. The eggplant, aubergine, melongene, brinjal or guinea squash is a plant of the family Solanaceae. Eggplant is grown for its usually egg-shaped fleshy fruit and is eaten as a cooked vegetable.

What is this veg called :eggplant:?

Eggplant - Wikipedia

Eggplant (US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Philippines), aubergine (UK, Ireland) or brinjal (Indian subcontinent, Singapore, Malaysia, South Africa) is a plant species in the nightshade family Solanaceae.