The What's cooking thread

Complete contradiction there, is can’t be a fruit and then cooked as a vegetable

Tomato ?

1 Like

Call in the professional… Yo, @Iftikhar - Your expertise is needed here :rofl:

And on the topic of cooking a fruit as a vegetable , you guys clearly have no idea about the majority of Indian vegetarian home cooking.

Every other dish involves one or another “fruit” being cooked as a vegetable.

2 Likes

Cook an apple :apple: to make a pie :pie:

1 Like

Fuck that , every dish involving green chillies / dried red chillies etc etc are fruit based. World wide if need be.

I rest my case.

Not even including the whole tomato based sauces

1 Like

There’s a food thread.

This one’s for dead meat.

1 Like

Post season time though. And “but mom, he started it”

1 Like

But the apples in said pie are still fruit

Well I always throw in 3 or 4 dried dates into my beef stew/broth. They reduce down to nothing anyway, but bring a slight sweetness unobtainable from anything else… Mmmmm Tasty :0)

Close second on the list of disgusting food items.
Only topped by gherkins

zucchini…

Nope! That would be Tripe or Octopus.

1 Like
  1. Spam
  2. Vegemite / marmite

For starters

Noooo! Fried spam is a great treat with beans, not exactly haute cuisine but a gorgeous taste fusion. @dane, gerkins rule.

1 Like

Tomato.

Fixed for accuracy

I personally can’t stand bananas; at least I can’t stand them when they are fresh. If they are dried in müseli or whatever I don’t have a problem with them.

Also, I’ve never understood what the attraction of caviar is: dreadful black gunk that people seem to get overly excited by simply because it is expensive.

I’m the same with sushi. Don’t get why people go nuts for it

Brinjal has the same etymological root as aubergine, the au- in aubergine is a derivation of the Arabic al-. (al-berginia in Moorish Arabic). @Iftikhar 's begun is similarly related. It isn’t clear where eggplant ( :rofl:) was first cultivated, but without question it went from India to Persia to the Arabs, to Spain and into Europe. Chinese were eating them very early as well, at least in parallel with India. The Romans did not eat eggplant.

My favourite word for them comes from the fact that as with the tomato, eggplant/aubergine/brinjal was thought in early Europe to be poisonous (all members of the nightshade family indigenous to Europe are). Before Brits like @cynicaloldgit got their Larousse, the English used to call them ‘mad apples’, and that term is still occasionally seen parts of the US South. One of my favourite cookbooks, Hugh Acheson’s ‘A New Turn in the South’ has a great ‘mad apple’ recipe.