The What's cooking thread

I like Sushi, I’ve had ones made very well and ones which are horrible though.

But seaweed is a major source of umami , that coupled with wasabi , the texture of the rice and then the fish. That’s a flavour bomb. And the skill involved in making a really nice sushi is amazing.

1 Like

Most disgusting food.

Durian

@gasband

I don’t know what to feel when you talk about disgusting and think of me.

because good sushi with good ingredients is excellent eating.

1 Like

Like many things people get excited about it’s expensive!

I learned to make sushi rolls a couple of years ago. Basic rolls, salmon, avocado, tuna, that sort of thing, but absolutely delicious. There’s a bit of theatre involved in making them, and rolling them with the mat and so on. Getting the rice right is the hardest part, but I’ve got it downpat now, with a big bamboo bowl, and the back up fridge in the garage.

Alternately, Mrs ROTW learned how to make sushi bites. All the same ingredients, but in a large bite size form. They do seaweed paper in smaller squares, so if you have the ingredients laid out in bowls, you can make your own bites as you go.

A couple of cocktails along the way, and it’s bloody lovely.

Makes a nice change from hot dinners and red meat, and it’s more of a grazing sort of thing while you chat with people along the way.

1 Like

So far all the sushis that I have had have been an immense dissappointment. I’m not going to start trying to roll rice for something that hasn’t pleased me.
Best sushis have cucumber in them, gives them a half decent flavor.
I much prefer sausage rolls to be honest, at least most are at least decent and some are delicious!

Ahhhh Flobs, you’re a man after my own heart.

Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!

1 Like

Or at my age, just sausage rolls.

1 Like

Sacrilege! Sometimes I find a bit of cucumber in the ‘ikura’ sushi (salmon roe). The offending cucumber is easily removed. Personal Top Three sushi; the aforesaid ikura, also ‘kaibashira’ (raw scallop) and toro (tuna belly). I’m quite partial to so-called ‘roast’ goose and ‘roast’ beef sushi. So-called because over here it’s not actually roasted in an oven. Basically, it’s pan fried and then sliced.

1 Like

As @Sithbare said, it’s all about texture and taste. For example, the salmon roe sushi ‘ikura’ creates amazing textures in the mouth with crisp crunchiness of the ‘nori’ (it’s a bit misleading to call it seaweed) and the salty little salmon eggs that feel solid at first and then go pop when you apply a bit of pressure. A bit like Tottenham, perhaps. Plus, of course, the sushi rice which isn’t a special type of rice it’s standard Japanese rice that’s had powdered vinegar mixed in with it after the rice has been cooked. That’s why eating a lot sushi can make you quite thirsty. It’s probably not good for blood pressure either.

2 Likes

Gold. You should rename the Spurs thread, @legalalien

To be fair, the salmon eggs don’t become bitter

have you ever tried Burek? I’m sure @Zoran knows it.

The Algerian and Tunisian variants to an extent. They don’t tend to have pork inside.
Of course the brik style is probably what I come across most as it’s used for many ‘sweet’ north african recipes.

I never liked Japanese food. I love all Asian food except Japanese food. Not that I have never tasted good ones but I call them the French food of the east. They really love dictating how people should eat the food I use my money to buy. Not all are like that, but it’s not hard to find a place like this in Japan or in some parts of Europe. You shouldn’t care if I paid for the sushi and decided to dump it in alot of soy sauce. I appreciate the suggestions, but I eat what it is tasty to me.

What about you all, are you the ok I will follow your style or it’s my way all the way kind of eater?

I actually like a fair bit of Japanese food, just not sushi.

Some of the Japanese curries are top notch chow.

Like @Klopptimist I’m a peas and carrots man with a lump of protein … :wink: :rofl:

I eat nearly everything. Although for a fisherman, I’m not really a big fan of eating fish…although getting better at it.

https://twitter.com/sferenchak/status/1682108917881647105?t=5CADI7AYp2OHoqZwHbdoPQ&s=19

1 Like