The What's cooking thread

Now my bloody cheese is made by Disney, race swapped!!!

Left yes
Middle no
Right, on toast

What does charcoal cheese actually taste like? Years ago, I was bought a bottle of jet black whisky which had been aged in charred casks and it tasted surprisingly good.

1 Like

Smokey cheddar. A triumph of marketing and additives over useful taste.

1 Like

I was horrified to come across red cheddar however apparently it was a common practice to put colourings into cheeses. Before realising I thought all red cheeses where red leicester.

Anyway made a lovely pot of leak and potatoe potage yesterday, no cheese but can be added at any moment.

2 Likes

Almost started a new thread but then realized we have a thread to talk about food.

I have a bit of an ā€˜obsessionā€™ with food at football games (professional and local Sunday league games).

What was the best thing you guys ever had and where was it? Maybe we can post some pictures when going to games in the future.

In Germany the most typical food at games is the Bratwurst in a bun. Donā€™t like it at professional games tbh but love them at local games.

At Anfield I had a meat pie and tbh it wasnā€™t special.

Best I ever had was a steak sandwich in Stuttgart.

2 Likes

Posted a month backā€¦ :0)

'Getting a burger outside of Evertonā€™s Stadium before a match. There were no hygiene restrictions in those days, the ā€˜cookā€™ used to smoke, wear dirty street clothes, no hat, dirty hands, he was probably homeless and always had a dew drop on the end of his nose which he periodically blew into the onions, delicious after a few pints ! :yum:|16x16šŸ”šŸŒ­ā€™ - Frank Carroll Everton FC Fan Group

1 Like

Itā€™s Everton. Watching his/her team makes people not picky at all.

Food at Korean/Japanese stadiums is supposedly very good.

1 Like

Nothing wrong with it.
The whole civilised world is so over sterilized and sanitized these days.

3 Likes

Yeah, although Iā€™m actually not a big fan of it!

If Iā€™m going burek, then my favourite is zeljanica (with spinach, cheese and onions) or simply with cheese.

I always avoid the one with meat, exception if Iā€™m somewhere where itā€™s properly made in the countryside or somewhere like that. Which is rare.

Was at a work Xmas party (weekend in Scotland) many years back. I still dream of the pie I got a half time in Celtic Park, un-fucking-real.

2 Likes

I remember when I was a Uni student spending some summers in the States. Went to Fenway Park to watch the RedSox as it seemed a big thing to do, even if Iā€™m not a baseball fan.

Anyway, I remember buying a Polish dog (hotdog) from a street vendor. The thing was huge, and he put all sorts on it. I didnā€™t know what I was doing, so I just had him put the toppings on. Anyway, it was amazing.

I half wonder if the occasion and adventure of it all, plus the passage of many years, makes me remember it as better than it was, but there you go.

3 Likes

Back a few years ago they had a burger stand at Leapordstown Race Course.
Savage!

Donā€™t forget to post pictures in the future please.

Thereā€™s a science to selling really bad hot dogs, in a bun. The trick is to sell the sizzle. Cut my own throat Dibner is your expert there but heā€™s a flat eartherā€¦ā€¦ā€¦

Niche.

Goes for Burgers as well. People come because theyā€™re attracted to the smell of the sizzle surely.

1 Like

Goes for any fast food. You get the smell on the street , freshly made etc , the sizzle , peopleā€™s hunger hormones get activated.

Why do Shawarmaā€™s sell ? Same old thing. Doesnā€™t mean that shawarmaā€™s arenā€™t good if made right. But the eyes and the nose play a part too.

The smell of the fried onions get my attention.

1 Like

Itā€™s a well documented fact that Scotland does the best unhealthy food on the planet.

1 Like