The What's cooking thread

https://twitter.com/FootyScran

2 Likes

A hilarious dissection

2 Likes

A friend of mine in grad school defended his Ph.D in late April, and was due to start his first FT appointment in late August. He had the realization that for the first time since he was about 12, he had a whole summer with nothing to do, nowhere to be. No reason to move to his new home months early and start paying rent before his salary kicked in, but decent savings. He owned a old VW Westfalia camper van, so he decided his summer was going to be spend catching up with friends - around the framework of having a hot dog or similar in every MLB ball park. He then hit on the idea of doing a ā€˜playoffsā€™, then a World Series. It was 1993, so just two rounds, no wildcards.

His World Series of hot dogs was Wrigley Field (Hot Dougā€™s) versus Milwaukee County Stadium bratwurst. He gave the nod to Milwaukee.

5 Likes

whatā€™s sad, is that these comedic-value home cooks love to take shots at established chefs for the social media revenue. If they can get a response from it, they keep doing it. I try to avoid these guys.

Jamie Oliver is a good chef, makes good food. Thatā€™s how he likes his stir fry, so be it. Some folks only get to ā€œbe knownā€ by this negative approach and itā€™s just poor form

Vincenzoā€™s Plate is actually an Australian guy of Italian roots who just started making good wholesome food. Then he decided to take shots at guys like Gordon Ramsayā€™s versions of some Italian food, for some notoriety. Ramsay may be a cunt at times, but Vincenzo makes himself look like a right bellend by the way he talks about some of this stuff.

2 Likes

True, driven beyond belief and heā€™s never struck me as a happy person. Iā€™d love his portfolio and money but I wouldnā€™t be ā€œhimā€ for a gold clock as he seems to be permanently looking for the problems. Not a person to kick back with a beer and enjoy the scenery. Permanently work work work, all good but that work has to have its reward.

one of my former softball teammates has done very well for herself and has actually managed to spend a few moments with him (she did an art piece for him). apparently heā€™s not as bad as he portrays on camera.

2 Likes

He probably is a good chef in a lot of ways. But his preparations of some dishes are not upto the mark and probably donā€™t get to be called those dishes. People do have the right to call out whats not good cooking.

Look up his version of butter chicken for instance.

And the same comedian has pretty good things to say about Gordon Ramsay for instance.

If you keep food videos out in the open public , you are calling out to be criticized on.

Fwiw , I think Oliver has done well. His mid day school lunch program is something that is worth applauding.

I like Ramsay too , but it I were to be asked whoā€™s the one more passionate and knowledgeable about food , Iā€™d pick Ramsay every given day.

1 Like

heā€™s an englishman, and Indian is not something he specializes in. if youā€™re talking about this dish, then itā€™s not what I would call ā€œauthenticā€ but have you tried making it that way to see how it tastes?

too many people too quick to judge. Iā€™d probably get flambeed over how I make my jerk chicken recipe and my pepper sauce, but even the kids I feed at my barbeques like it. a lady from Trinidad may not prefer it, but Iā€™m not from the Caribbean so this is how I make itā€¦

The other thing is you adjust what your cooking to the tastebuds of those you are cooking for.

I you are cooking thai curry for your western missus and kids it will be different to if you were dating a Thai and were cooking for them. The differences in what and how you cook it might only be sutble, but would make a massive difference on the taste profile for both of those different people.

At the end of the day, for home cooking, there is no right and wrong way to prepare and cook a dish (except for burning or undercooking) as it is all down to your taste preference

1 Like

yes!! absolutely.

That said, I keep thinking about this dish I learned of down your way called Rissoules, which I have never made here yet. Iā€™ve eaten them, theyā€™re a fantastic appetizer and yet to make them here. this recipe from a time when I was living in Ultimo.

Word of the Dayā€¦

Smorgasbord

2 Likes

:0)

We had a topic of pineapple on pizza.

Just found out thereā€™s somewhere (either Sweden or Denmark) where banana on a pizza is a thing.

Pretty sure eggplant over pizza would be better though.

Aubergine on pizza is allowed in Naples. Iā€™ve had it there.

1 Like

And donā€™t worry ifti , I got your back.

All these eggplant / aubergine / brinjal haters have never had

1 Like

Far more impressive is the series by Amaury Guichon.

For example,

His page is here - you really have to look:

https://www.youtube.com/@AmauryGuichonChef

2 Likes

Soon it will be a marinara sauce

3 Likes