The What's cooking thread

I got an outdoor pizza oven for Christmas, one of these Ooni Karus. Need to get organized to try it, especially in this comparatively warm weather. Won’t be as much fun in the next polar vortex

2 Likes

I’m sort of gunning for having an outdoor oven in my farmhouse (yet to be constructed).

I’m not that bothered about the interiors but as long as there is a place for grilling/pizza/tandoori etc I’m , set.

Looking for some rustic designs which can replicate both the tandoori and the pizza oven functionalities

1 Like

Something like this. Have a kettle so , the grilling + smoking part is taken care of.

India’s not much of a DIY culture so need to see if I can get someone to make this for me.

1 Like

Yep do v something similar myself - converted me totally from the child who despised the (soggy over boiled) sprouts of my childhood.

I have thought about something similar to that for years up at the lake. This unit was under the Christmas tree and is portable, so becomes a little less likely. But the tandoor part is interesting.

1 Like

It might be possible to make a hybrid pizza and tandoor oven.

Two doors , one at the side (for the pizza oven) and one at the top for the tandoor.

I have no clue on whether something like that , even if theoretically possible is viable and easy to use too

They are not that dissimilar - it really is just a matter of where you need access. That one you posted a photo of probably has a back door.

1 Like

That’s what I inferred as well. Just a question of access. If the same oven can be used with removable doors etc at the top and the side , it could work.

But how it will look is different.

Ideally I’m looking at a outdoor space 20mX20m and have to fit in the ovens , the grill/smoker (it’s a weber kettle so it can be easily pushed to a side.

And some space to probably cook some curries / biryanis etc.

That’s the wish list atleast. Once the construction starts , I’ll be looking into building these. Hopefully find a good Mason for this.

That one is lovely, but the majority of the structure is decorative counter space. Take away the grill unit, and that is probably not even a 1 meter diameter. I would be DIYing it, so the only daunting part is that dome.

1 Like

India’s not really a DIY culture. I suppose we’re too lazy , and the cost of the labour is quite a bit cheaper.

I’d love to be able to build this , but I wouldn’t have the equipment for it in the first place.

No, in India I would not even think about doing it DIY. No real choice up at the lake, paying a professional to drive there would probably double the cost of the job. In India you could probably readily find the various trades needed to build it.

Yeah, I’d be looking at a bigger diameter for the pizza unit.

That might be overkill, if you have some kind of door mechanism. Biggest pizza you ever see is 20 inches, so perhaps a 54 cm aperture.

1 Like

We cook home made pizzas, thin crust, lovely. Easy to do with mozzarella, and a variety of toppings to suit. We buy the dough ready made at Trader Joe’s, and roll it out. I try throwing it up in the air, and usually mess it up, and then roll it out again.

It’s a nice family thing to do. We have a big breakfast bar and turn it into a pizza making station and just have a laugh with our creations.

Mrs ROTW has loads of veggies on hers, artichoke, spinach and so on. I’m more of a cave man, and will go towards prosciutto, or pepperoni, definitely mushrooms, and maybe slice some fresh garlic in there too.

Through trial and error we bake them on a high heat, but it has to be on a stone, and thin crust cooks the best.

Those Ooni pizza ovens look very good though, and the heat can be much higher with them, and obviously outside.

These are absolutely great, but definitely takes practice.

Most of the commercial grade ones I’ve seen have a single flame at the back, where as most of these at home ones have one down one side as well. That makes it a lot harder to prevent burning and it actually catching on fire is pretty easy to do (although doesnt ruin the pizza if you like a bit of char). If I was to have to buy another one I’d definitely upgrade from the 12 to the 16, not to allow me to make bigger pizzas, but to give a bit more room from the side burner

1 Like

I’m always a “Veg Pizza” guy. Goes for most Pasta too actually.

1 Like

She’s trim and fit, me … not so much!

I’m not trim but never liked any meat on pizza for some reason.

I’m a general meat lover but not in Pizzas for some reason.

This is my 2024 New Year’s Resolution - learn how to toss and form pizza

1 Like

Just make sure you wash your hands after tossing.

1 Like