Thiago ALCANTARA: 2020/21

No but your trollin now I’ve had enough of you…

1 Like

He is an old romantic at heart and will give Oxlade every chance to regain his form… I doubt it personally, at one point he went for a jump missed the ball by a good yard… The brain works, the body doesn’t.

1 Like

Starting to get seriously worried that Ox does not have the footballing self belief anymore to play in this team.

1 Like

Surely kissing arse is against covid protocol so i seriously doubt it’s that.

10 Likes

It would appear The Ox has taken Lovren’s place as the player to blame when things go wrong. What we shouldn’t forget is he is coming back from a lengthy injury and once again he’s wasn’t played in a position that gets the best out of him, which is down the middle. There were other players out there last night who were just as poor.
Anyway, last night was all Lovren’s fault!!

7 Likes

No one was blaming Ox, it was just a little surprising to see how he had jumped ahead of Taki and Keita for selection.

2 Likes

So about Thiago then… Need to get some minutes in him and the rust will wash off, and we all get to marvel in his class

7 Likes

Chamberlain was played in midfield last night, though he was easy to miss.

He’s barely had 10 good games in the last 36 months. Always surprises me when the people who are quick to criticise Keita are also quick to defend a player as bad and unavailable as Chamberlain.

I’m not scapegoating him for the result last night, our poor form has been going on for a while without him, he’s just continued his poor performances that started after his return from his first knee injury with us.

6 Likes

I do defend both but i’m slightly demented.

4 Likes

It was interesting that we actually started the game in a 4-2-3-1 with Ox on the right, but quickly switched to 4-3-3 a few minutes after we conceded. Yeah, Ox had a very invisible game, though he looked sharp to me in the little bits he came on lately. Will need time. He started last season away at Southampton as well. I thought Gini had a clean game last night, grew into it as it went on.

1 Like

It was both Ox and Thiago’s first start back after months out yet Ox looked lost at sea and ‘needs time’ whereas an unfit Thiago still controlled the game and showed the difference in class.

6 Likes

Forget Jones, I doubt that Ox can even compete with Elliott next year.

4 Likes

Both? Oxlade and Chamberlain or the 3 of them Oxlade-Chamberlain as well?

As for Thiago he seems to have gone missing on this forum just like the 3 above did in the 1st half against Saints. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Well, obviously Thiago created massive difference when he replaced Henderson. In other words, Jones and Chamberlain must be benched against United. If Klopp still wants to use Jones, he must bench either Henderson or Gini.

1 Like

This lads only played in 5 games for us. 90 minutes twice, two 45 minute cameo’s and a 17 minute sub appearance after returning from long term injury, yet every time he’s stepped foot on the pitch he’s been the best player on the park by a country mile.

5 Likes

Fucks sake. Wish I’d seen this at the time. Absolutely pathetic comment. You should be ashamed.

3 Likes

Like I thought I had watched Thiago before and understood his ability…

I hadn’t.

He is a beautiful footballer and makes the game look effortless… At one point he took a chest high ball, with his control (I don’t remember if it was his head, chest or thigh) he broke their press, was on their defense and passed forward within a split second…

He seems to cover the entire pitch but hardly ever runs… It’s insane.

Van Dik brought a huge amount to this team offensively, Thiago is critical to enabling us to play how we did as he seems the only player capable of playing the type of accurate long balls Virgil did and starting attacks at pace.

He makes me remember it’s not the tactics we have wrong, it’s the round pegs trying to fit in a square peg trying to do what they can’t… Our game was built on playing fast, being accurate in long balls, being unpredictable…

Stay fit… Please…

2 Likes

Didn’t see the Everton match and only caught the highlights afterwards, this is the first time I’ve seen Thiago fully control a game, he did for his cameo against Newcastle but he showed what he could do and I think it makes me doubly sure if he had been on the pitch against Brighton and WBA and had the lead we would have doubled it.

5 Likes

That first pass is why he is just amazing, any of our other midfielders pass to the full back in that position.

4 Likes