Thiago ALCANTARA: 2021/22

Who is going to match his current salary, given that he’s getting older and his injuries are becoming more frequent? :thinking:

1 Like

I guess if he ever wants to go by himself, he will be going to some childhood club, or some club he wants to play for before retiring, meaning he would be willing to accept lower wages… but exactly for reasons you mentioned, we will not move him on voluntarily because no one is going to fork out a reasonable amount for him and even if someone does, the buying party will either low ball him on wages which he will reject or ask us to pay a certain amount of wages for some period of time which will be bullshit. So I think again, we have shown we are prepared to keep a player of his quality, at least on paper, until his contract ends or if he wants to go.

I feel he wasn’t really appreciated enough for the run in last season. His great performances were as important as Salahs brilliance, Fabinhos solidity in front of the defence and the team walking our make shift CBs through games (who played out of their skins considering their skills and capabilities).

2 Likes

This is really well stated and I’m co-signing Sweeting’s thoughts. It’s where I am. I love Thiago as a player and never doubt his class but for me I was expecting more. JK need him to be more than a luxury player.

It was a bit of a risk for FSG to sanction this kind of signing. It felt like a statement at the time. Older world class player who immediately comes in as one of the top earners. Doesn’t really fit their model. They’ll probably think twice before doing it again given what’s happened so far. He was good at the end of last season but we need much more from him than that given the outlay.

2 Likes

There is a winter break between the 23rd of January and the 5th of Feb (this being 4th round weekend).

Not much of break though as the AFCON is on and Brazil have more qualifiers.

No European national games at that time mind and the European leagues have restarted so at least there will be some Football.

I guess if you end up in a 3rd round replay you don’t get a break though potentially you could fit in as long as your not in the league cup.

Evidently Thiago isn’t one of those players who comes back and can perform and that’s his issue because the tail end of last season showed enough.

1 Like

when this lad is on, he’s a world-beater. the reservation is, he’s just as often NOT in form due to recovery from niggling injuries. When you see a player at his age sold from a team like Bayern, you have to ask…“why?”

This transfer really didn’t fit our “mold” and is proving to justify why that “mold” exists, in a way.

2 Likes

It was 100% on his terms. Bayern wanted him to stay, but barely even get him into contract negotiations such was his mind made up about moving on to try a new experience (maybe only coincidentally after being sounded out by Klopp the summer before)

2 Likes

It seems quite reasonable that he’d want to add a Prem title to his medal collection and then maybe serie A or ligue 1. He’d still be “young” enough for those leagues when he leaves here. He has Spanish and German titles, can add English and maybe one or two more.

1 Like

He is excellent in the air for his size and he wins ball back quite effectively, you aint been watching him much. However his passing this year has been too slow

1 Like

I wish I had read this before my reply but same message, some people spout shit rather than watching … I’ve done it heaps :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

He needs to play regularly, but that is an issue due to injuries and he also needs to play with the same players so they are on his wavelength. He is a player that looks for vertical passes to feet and also balls in behind and our players just don’t seem to be making the runs or showing for the ball. He is a different beast to our other midfielders.

1 Like

it maybe a “he needs to start” more regular thing but at the moment he is way off where he needs to be to play for us.

He started against Palace and was very good.

Last 10 games of last season he was arguably our best player, top 3 without a doubt. Unfortunately it seems to take him a few games to get back into his rhythm after injury.

Hopefully with two weeks to train he’ll be back in the starting line up and ready to go for Arsenal.

7 Likes

What ever anyone says he’s grown on me when he plays, he’s learnt how to fit in. I admit I was a bit worried when he was passing the ball behind playes to his left, making Mané and Robbo run 10 yards back toward their own goal, but he’s seems to have sorted that out. Definitely needs to be LCM not RCM!

He was instrumental in the run towards the end of the last season that ultimately secured CL football. Unfortunately, ten good league games per season would be too little to expect from the likes of Jones and Elliott, let alone a seasoned, top class pro like him. We’ll see what we can expect from him but he’s been as unreliable in terms of fitness as Keita so far. Retirement from international football shouldn’t be beyond him, in my opinion, especially if Enrique stays and continues giving chances to younger players. That should reduce the workload on him and theoretically extend his playing career.

5 Likes

Liverpool have no interest in letting Thiago leave the club at the end of the season, despite reports about a return to Barcelona.

Liverpool would make any potential transfer for the midfielder “as hard as possible” [AS]

Means we’re letting him go in 2023 when we can replace him with Jude B.

I heard on the TAW podcast yesterday that on average Thiago only plays 17 league games a season.
If that’s the case(and I’m not hearing things) that’s madness.

Yep just gone back and re listened. The most he has ever played in is 17 league games.

He picked up COVID when he came here and after that, some Everton thug put him in hospital for 3 months. Where is the madness in that?

They’re talking out their arse he played 24 for us last year. 24 and 30 the last two years in Germany.

2 Likes