Thiago Alcantara (CM) Bayern Munich

But Lallana barely played and now Jones is part of the first team squad which he definitely wasn’t at the start of last season.

There’s room for both but only if we’re happy to stunt Jones’ game time for another season.

Now we’re nearing seasons start I’m inclined to stick with the known quantity that is Gini than twisting on Thiago. Just seems an unnecessary disruption right now.

2 Likes

Henderson has had his injury issues as well. Milner too of late all bei it on a shorter timescales.

1 Like

The point is, what’s our objective? If it’s to retain the Premier League title, then both Wijnaldum and Thiago will be useful.

2 Likes

So would a lot of players, doesn’t mean we could or should buy them.

Thiago coming in being dependent on Gini leaving has been made quite clear. Think people need get their heads around ‘either, or’ rather than thinking there’s a chance of both.

1 Like

That’s a bit harsh.

He isn’t a git; he’s just not good enough to be goalkeeper for the best team in Europe.

4 Likes

Couldn’t agree more. With both of them around how is Curtis going to play the 20+ games many of us feel he should be playing in the coming season.

2 Likes

Thiago and Gini both running down their contracts and leaving on a free is most likely to happen. I’m sure Liverpool have already been in contact with his agent to try and get a pre agreement he will join next summer to replace Gini or Milner. Liverpool have no intention to negotiate with Bayern.

I think there is every chance Thiago goes to Barca now. Maybe they try to pick up Gini on a free next year if they still want him.

1 Like

Thiago has already said he is leaving. It would be a bit problematic to about face now. Plus Bayern have declared their intention to sell.

Thiago is off somewhere. If it isn’t us, it will be somewhere else.

5 Likes

His intention might be to leave this summer but club’s who want him their intentions might be to sign him on a free. In four months he can be got on a free. I can see clubs willing to wait unless it’s for a really good price.

1 Like

Strictly speaking he can’t.

He can sign a pre-contract in four months, but he would then have to wait until June to make that move.

A lot can happen in that six months.

2 Likes

Yeah that’s what I meant.

Still time for something to happen but imo the clubs who want him are going to be willing to wait until next June to get him.

1 Like

Maybe the club are depending on other factors, like selling Grujić and Wilson and/or signing a centre back first? The next season will be a hellish one from everyone’s perspective, squad depth and fitness will play a major role, and even though Klopp likes to work with smaller groups, I think he will look to add exactly two more players - those that enable him to cover CB and CM and one more forward/winger. If Fabinho is that CB cover, Alcantara can be signed for CM/DM and Wijnaldum kept for one more year, in my opinion. These two together plus Henderson and Keita could offer a lot of different stylistic choices.

3 Likes

Peter Gorst of the Echo is already floating the idea that the club are preparing to go into the season without buying any new CB. That would seem to imply either Koumetio has made such an impact on the coaching staff that they want to involve him with the first team squad this season or they are preparing to spend on a non CB without having moved on another key player first.

3 Likes

Perhaps, but I think depth is needed elsewhere (front 3) first.

@Iftikhar - gits worldwide are disagreeing for including Karius as a git.

1 Like

Is this going to happen then

If I were a gambling man I’d have my money on no.

Gini doesn’t seem to be pushing for a move. Barca only seem willing to cough up about half what he’s worth. We seem very happy to keep him for one more year.

Something significant needs to happen for this situation to change but despite weeks of rumours nothing concrete has happened.

1 Like

And contrary to the ITKs insistence, there is no evidence that Klopp is pushing for the deal to happen.

2 Likes

I think there is room for Gini and Thiago in the squad

2 Likes