Thiago Alcantara (CM) Bayern Munich

3 Likes

Don’t see this one happening this transfer window. Not like fsg to spend 20 to 30 million on a player who in a few months could be got on a free. Can see it been like the James Milner transfer to us. More believable he will see out his contract and sign for us.

1 Like

As this is a new thread does it mean Thiagos potential transfer is no longer considered a saga…not that it ever was.

Hopefully see him doing a lean or something this week.

3 Likes

Still feels more likely to happen than not, but really hard to speculate this year in particular

2 Likes

Where’s The Anfield Noise money John???

5 Likes

I’d hazard a guess that if there’s not been significant actual movement on this one this week then it won’t happen.

Internationals are done, players going back to clubs and I can’t see Klopp wanting the unecessary distraction once the season has started.

1 Like

New season. New forum. Time for a new signing.

Pay the money and sign the bastard!

Thinking about this over the weekend, and all the reports that Klopp is operating under a sell to buy policy, I think there may be some truth to it.

But I don’t think it is money related, I have a feeling the cash is there for him to spend how he wants, but the policy is in relation to the squad size, and he likes to keep the numbers to a smallish number to ensure he gets sufficient time working with each player, ensuring they get decent playing time, and there is still space available for youngsters to potentially get their chance at various points throughout the season, so he now has a balance in the squad that he is happy with, so to bring in a new target, someone will need to be moved on to make room within the squad

2 Likes

I guess it’s got something to do with the homegrown players. We can’t sign Thiago unless one of Karius and Grujic leaves.

Not quite true, we have the option to simply not register one of those players (ie Karius) if they’re still hanging around the place.

We might prefer to sell them first, but it’s not a prerequisite.

7 Likes

I think centre midfield is where we are fairly well stocked too so if we are to sign Thiago and we need to free up squad space, wages space and some funds, then it makes sense that a sale occurs from within that group.

And I wouldn’t include Grujic in that equation either given he wasn’t here last season anyway.

1 Like

True. But the moment we not register a git like Karius, his value becomes zero while we pay his salary.

1 Like

I think we’re kidding ourselves if we think we’re going to get much if anything for him in this current climate. He cost £4m when he was a highly rated young GK from Germany, before he dropped a bollock in that season’s biggest game and spent two underwhelming years on loan in Turkey.

3 Likes

He’s got two more years left. Real question is, who gave him a bloody 6 year contract when we signed him in the first place.

:joy:

1 Like

I think it’s about being forced to pay for services that were never there. Just imagine, there’s this guy not even picked for League Cup and still getting his paycheck.

1 Like

There wasn’t a ‘bring your predecessor to work’ day, was there?

Bloody Ayre.

3 Likes

It wouldn’t come to that, I’m sure. If we near the deadline and he’s still here, we’ll find somewhere to farm him out to on loan, if only to get his salary off the books.

5 Likes

Yeah, although I’d be happy to let him go for free if that’s what it took.

1 Like

Agreed…someone must go for Thiago to come in as the midfield is already bloated, especially if we play a 4-2-3-1 more regularly.

Lallana left. Lovren left which means Fabinho could be moved to CB from time to time. Ox injury prone.

It’s going to be a very intense season.

There’s room for both Wijnaldum and Thiago.

6 Likes