Tourism Thread - tips and assistance

Not sure what to expect really. It will be the first trip for me to that region - a region I didn’t really see myself ever going to tbh. Flying out on Saturday and heading back Wednesday.

Trying to find a connection to our hosts I was listening to a podcast the other day about the work culture there. It was generally about the lack of a good work/life balance there, which then manifested in an inability to sleep and led to other destructive practices - mainly excessive drinking. Not sure what to expect after that. There will be the meetings, a dinner and then I not too sure what will follow…

You can expect humidity atm. Nice heat in the high 20s next week predicted. If I’m free I’ll show you around. If your into drinking or have a group of yous go to the areas around the national museum for nightlife. The sport district where the Olympics were is great for sport also, usually something on there always. Plenty of palaces also, and historic sites in the foothills near Seoul if some scenic views and history of you are into that. Might not have time but a DMZ tour is great for the day. Cooking classes are fun, making traditional dishes and usually finishes of at the bars usually close by. The local markets are great for a lazy walk, again finished off by some food from cheap restaurants.

2 Likes

Not sure if you will have time but it’d be great to meet up on Tuesday afternoon/evening. Would be great just to meet a fellow forum’ite - even if for just a beer/coffee and a chat!

2 Likes

Currently sat in St Pancras waiting for my Eurostar to Brussels. Going on my first proper holiday abroad as an adult. Just me; part of what makes it a holiday is that Im not gonna have to deal with people :rofl: The plan is to see as many museums and galleries as I can, also planning on visiting a couple of other cities in Belgium: Bruges will definitely be a place I go.

Anyway, anyone got any recommendations vis a vis museums/galleries/food/bars etc for Brussels or Belgium in general? Ive not got loads of money to piss about with :sweat_smile: so nothing michelin starred etc, as I probably wont be able to go

2 Likes

Essential food - moules, frites, mayonnaise- pretty much the national dish. Cheap and easily available.

Beer- anything local. Belgium makes many of the greatest beers in the world.

2 Likes

I’ve personally tried and liked:

Those are definitely not on the same price level as @cynicaloldgit’s suggestion though.

1 Like

Thank you both for the suggestions

Who will post the goal videos :thinking:

Shoulder Shrug GIF

Tomorrow I head back to England but this week has been amazing. I have spent the vast majority of my time in museums and galleries I have visited Bruges, Ghent, and Antwerp in addition to Brussels. I have done my best to take the advice that has been offered (in other words i got pissed on some top quality Belgian beer while eating Belgian food). I have seen art by the old master; some of which is genuinely awe inspiring, and I do not say that lightly. I recommend Belgium to anyone who can afford to pop over. I am a richer man for having been here.

The highlights are hard to chose. Go if you can. Enjoy the quantity and quality of incredible art that they have at their disposal. I have gorged myself on it and am bloated on culture; for which I am unbelievably grateful.

My next holiday is in March and I am going to Malta; I will be back in this thread to ask your advise then as well. Until then, thank you, and happy holidays for thise who have the opportunity to escape their day to day.

4 Likes

Just touched down in Malta, gonna be another cheap exploration one. Any highlights others can recommend are more than welcome, thanks in advance

Anyway did go through with the Greece visit , couldn’t make it to anfield though as I had initially planned.

Wifey had a heck load of relatives that she wanted to visit in England and that would have played haywire with my Liverpool visit of 2 days (where there surprisingly aren’t many indian IT guys around ) most of my relatives are concentrated in London , Birmingham etc.

Felt the better solution would have been to look at my wallet and restrict the visit to purely Greece and Crete and next time make a solo visit to Liverpool.

Both have lovely places , lovely food and more importantly very brilliant people as well.

1 Like

As good a place as any, been running at low capacity for a while. Brilliant idea dreadfully implemented at ridiculous prices. Never went but not been to Florida since 2005.

https://www.wdwinfo.com/news-stories/disney-cancels-star-wars-galactic-starcruiser-voyages/

And again: don’t travel.

There we disagree. Travel delightfully broadens the waistline.

Going to the UP, Upper Peninsula, in Michigan in a couple of weeks. Decided to do a shorter trip so we don’t fly. I’m not as conscientious about climate issues as some on here, but it was a consideration.

Anyway, we booked a cabin on the beach, looking out towards Mackinac Island, which is a throwback island, no traffic allowed, rent bicycles, explore, enjoy eats and treats, slow down.

This part of North America is where Lake Michigan, Huron and Superior all meet. We plan on doing some outdoor stuff, kayaks and exploring painted rocks along the Lake Superior shore, enjoying sunsets and nice dinners.

It will be a good retreat from the pace of life, which is getting silly with work demands and the family all moving in different directions with work, sports, school, etc.

It has been too long, and this vacation will be old school, sort of going back in time, connecting with nature, scenery, simplicity and a slow pace.

2 Likes

You can get fat at home.

It’s beautiful, but beware. A few years we did a summer trip to Saugatack, about 200 miles south of there on the Lake Michigan side. I dont think it got above 50 degrees the entire time.

1 Like

Sounds about right! People told us not to expect nice Florida style temperatures. Bring it on!

Looks like I may be spontaneously visiting Montenegro next week.
Anyone been? Any tips?