Trey NYONI: 2026/27

Maybe a hot take, maybe not. I’d rather bet on Nyoni than for example spending €100m on Bouaddi. There, now it’s written. We’ll see how it holds up :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

5 Likes

As I said he has all the footballing tools and intelligence, it is just down to whether he has the physicality and that is what Bouaddi has over him atm.

I’d have no issues with him starting the season alongside Grav, with Dom maybe pushed out to the right taking on the Beckham role (assuming we don’t sign a 2nd winger), Barcola left and Flo behind Isak.

Dom isn’t a great crosser of the ball, is he?

I’ve seen him use the Hendo technique and getting good whip and pace when he was shunted out there previously and he gets a lot of practice from all the corners he takes, he’s certainly a better crosser than he is a passer.

5 Likes

Would be a bit disappointed if we didn´t sign a RW or proper CM, but if we didn´t that would be interesting.

Why would you go with him next to Grav instead of Jones, or indeed instead of Jones next to Grav?

When you can strike a ball like he can, putting in some crosses won’t be a problem.

2 Likes

Well there’s a difference between putting your laces through a ball and the delicacy and artistry of passing/crossing.

Based on pre season to me he should be part of our squad this season.

6 Likes

Im not trying tog et all Red Almighty here, but unless Grav does something remarkable in the next two weeks with his preparation and training, Trey should be starting against Newcastle. He is looking more than good enough to at least not have to rush back the guys who had extended world cup runs and started late.

I feel this is going to be a bit of an adaptation for Grav so lets not rush him if we dont have to.

8 Likes

Yeah if he looks the deal next week in Monaco then it’s a no brainer for me.

1 Like

His game today.
I like that at 1:06. He doesn´t even look back. Not interested in passing back to his defenders and passing the buck. Backs himself to be able to keep the ball moving forward.

Again 2:03. A lot of our midfielders would have just passed that to our left centre back and stood still. But he decided nope, I´m a midfielder and i ll go make something happen.

Read the game well too with his interceptions. I agree with Limiescouse. He deserves a chance of starting against Newcastle.

2 Likes

I mean he’s been one of our better players in pre-season for 3 seasons in a row now, he should be given his shot. His time is now and the now is here.

1 Like

Absolutely agree. And that’s not really a knock on Grav either, just that Nyoni looks magnificent. And seems to have a good understanding with Szobo, I really like the look of those two as a midfield duo.

1 Like

To be honest, I wasn´t that convinced that Szobo did suit him, in a few of the games.

I thought it was a real stark contrast how well Nyoni used the ball compared to Szobo and there wasn´t a lot of interplay. I wasn´t sure what Szobo did that complemented Nyoni did. What did you think? Maybe Szobo´s forward running?

I am not sure what kind of player does suit Nyoni actually. He likes to sit but he does pass quite positively and well. Either way, really pleased with what I have seen from him and I would be happy for him to get lots of game time this year.

1 Like

Bolded bit: the short answer is yes.

Longer answer:

I like that positionally, they can both do different things. Dropping down to help the build-up, but then at the other end also comfortable receiving the ball in relatively tight spots and contributing in the final third. For me they are good allround players with some overlap between them, but also different enough to be a good duo. I don’t know if Nyoni is a good ball winner, but I like the way he seems to read situations and go for the interception.

Nyoni seems to gravitate towards being the ball central, punching passes through the lines when the opening is there. And then he also seems to have the legs and iq to execute the high pressing situations - and crucially to turn and rush back when the press is broken.

Szoboszlai just seems to be a great fit for Iraola: the high press, the transitions both ways. But also in possession, with Iraola favouring verticality and movement, I think it requires players who can also carry the ball, not just pass it through lines. So I think there’s where I saw the potential for them as a duo; Szobo who seems tailor made for Iraola, and Nyoni as a more natural ball central who can also press and cover ground pretty quickly.

There’s probably a more experienced player out there than Nyoni to complement Szobo, and I’m not saying he should necessarily start ahead of Gravenberch in a normal situation. But I think his individual quality, his mobility and what I saw as a good compatibility with Szoboszlai makes them an interesting duo. I think together they cover a lot of bases.

2 Likes

I dont know how good he is yet in physical contests, but it was notable how often he Baresi like “won” the ball back against Wrexham without having to make a challenge.

1 Like

Ah interesting thanks. Yes I really liked how Nyoni was reading the game and nipping in decisively to intercept or get a foot in.

I do see what you mean on Szobo and his pressing and running. For me the issue with him is his passing game isn´t great. We haven´t seen much passing interplay with Nyoni yet.

A good example is at 1:09 in that Nyoni video I posted. Nyoni pivoted and passed to Szobo. Then as Szobo got it he should have first time passed it into Wirtz to then go towards Isak, or opened his body and knocked it into Isak first time. But he did neither and he went sideways needless. It´s only one example but in my view he and the midfield (except Nyoni and to a degree Jones) do that a lot.

Yes, exactly. Seems to be able to read the passes well and have good timing for when to go for the ‘steal’.

1 Like

I don’t understand why only certain players can pass quickly through the lines?
Some of the good ones are defenders - and we’re there thinking why don’t we do that more often.
And some of the ones who can’t are seemingly very skillful midfielders.
Surely they have the vision and skill to do it? Unless they’ve been told not to?