Tyler Morton (CM) on loan at Hull City

For a reported 90m transfer fee.

2 Likes

Is he just not ready for the PL level then? Do we think he ever will be?

No and no.

2 Likes

Very rarely do the ones we loan out make it here long term. Heā€™s about 6 months younger than Gravenberch and older than Elliott and yet heā€™s out for a second season in the Championship.

Heā€™s not making it here.

3 Likes

We seem to have a long line of players that give hope for a season and then fade to obscurityā€¦ Brewster, Woodburn, Nico Williams, Ibe and so on - there are many more.

TAA (possibly Gomez?) is the only one that has made the transition recently. Going back a bit further there was of course Owen, Gerrard, McManaman and Fowler(?) that seem to come as a loose clutch but that was rare and I wonder if there was a reason for them emerging roughly together - chance or a change in coaching approach??

Jones. Bajcetic.

Our assembly line isnā€™t the best but it is pretty good.

2 Likes

Impress on loan and sell him for 7-9m.

Heā€™s clearly not Liverpool material.

1 Like

Had we not gotten the work permit issues with awonyi , he would have been a good CF option for us.

The timing issues are a bitch as well

1 Like

Still a question mark over them for me. Jones definitely can be a regular but he need to see a voodoo priest to try and shake this injury thing he has going currently, while Bajcetic falls closer Tyler Morten than TAA or even Jones. Bajcetic still falls in the ā€œhas potentialā€ category but if he cannot get some serious minutes this season, which means displacing one of the 3 new incomings, then the writing may be on the wall by the end of the season.

Bajcetic has a clear pass by the end of the season to be a dedicated CB starter. Thiago will leave. Endo is a stop gap.

Tyler is too frail for his age. He is as skinny as Bajcetic and Bajcetic is a couple of years younger than Morton.

Thatā€™s because we give chances to lots of players. Teams like Man City spend infinitely more on their academy but donā€™t let the kids play.

2 Likes

Woodburn had a horrific injury record, Ibe had a horrific personal tragedy, Neco is doing decent. Tyler himself got derailed by an injury last season.

Itā€™s a long, hard way from academy to professional football.

1 Like

Yes he maybe too frail but I would have thought that the trainers/coaches/dietitians would have been on it. Anyway being frail (or slight) in and of itself isnā€™t necessarily a show stopper - players like McManaman, Crouch, Owen or Kante relied on other skill sets. Ultimately it is a combination of attributes that need to be cultivated and the clubs job to do so - not easily done.

I donā€™t like the idea that players who drop into the Championship have somehow failed, thatā€™s a very very high level of football. There are only 500 registered PL players in any season - the rest have to find a job somewhere.

11 Likes

It wasnā€™t a cause and effect statement. I was just saying that he hasnā€™t bulked up.

Also, some players are just later bloomers. We constantly buy in players who at the age of 21, were playing in some obscure league somewhere. Thereā€™s no need to rush to judgement over a player so quickly.

3 Likes

I canā€™t see Morton making it at Liverpool level but there is a good footballer there and like Wilson he could easily end up for at a Fulham or someone.

Some would say Wilson has been a failure but to me thatā€™s a pretty high level for a failure.

5 Likes

I was going to say that Morton will one day reach the levels of Wilson and Williams, and thatā€™s a very credible achievement.

2 Likes