UEFA Europa League

Sevilla have that history but you’d have to make them second faves in that group.

As you say bar the Newcastle group they are teams we should beat. Perhaps Brighton become the biggest issue.

Then again I can see Man Utd fuck that group up.

2 Likes

Out of curiosity I had a look at the current odds:

Liverpool 4/1
Brighton 12/1
Roma 16/1
Villareal 16/1
West Ham 20/1
Real Betis 20/1
Atatanta 20/1
Bayer Leverkusen 20/1
Sporting Lisbon 25/1
Marseille 28/1
Ajax 33/1
Rennes 40/1
Freiburg 40/1
Rangers 66/1

I’m assuming that some of those will drop as the competition progresses.

(NB I don’t gamble but sometimes other people’s punts can be telling)

2 Likes

Maybe slightly off topic (and way ahead of ourselves) but there has been an update on the cancelled Liverpool to Dublin Ferry:

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2023/0901/1402944-stena-interested-in-operating-dublin-liverpool-route/

If Stena wanted to operate out of Birkenhead, this is presumably the same dock that the Belfast ferry goes from. Of course this would be assuming that this is a passenger carrying ferry and also that we were to actually reach the final which is by no means guaranteed.

Regardless, having a shipping link to Dublin is pretty important for both cities.

3 Likes

I’m sure Adrian won’t mind.

1 Like

I’d say dropping Thiago would make more sense. Keep him for the league if he’s fit.

I’m sure neither will mind :slight_smile:

The £300m Saudi will pay us next week won’t mind if we don’t register them for EL.

Nah, I’d keep him for Europe, very valuable with his experience for away trips, different opponents and stuff.

2 Likes

Not a big deal. Adrian can still travel with the squad and enjoy the weather.

This will be fun, when we play Saint-Gilloise away.

2 Likes

Pretty sure they use Anderlecht stadium for Europe.

2 Likes

Fucking hell Southport’s is better than that.

Assume we will find out shortly who is dropped, do we have a third keeper we can choose if so it’s probably Adrian but could be Thiago.

:+1:

They did last year.

Union will not be able to play in their own stadium, which does not meet the UEFA standards

2 Likes

They played their group games in Leuven. Might have been conflicting with Anderlecht’s Conference League games, but they’re not in Europe this season.

Bit of a lottery to get a seat at that place.

Adrian has been officially dropped from the Europa League squad to meet the limit on non-homegrown players.

Adrian omitted from Liverpool squad for Europa League : Adrian omitted from Liverpool squad for Europa League - Liverpool FC - This Is Anfield

2 Likes

No brainer really, espeically if it means Doak is on List A (he can’t be on list B as mot been at the club long enough).

Ali, Kelleher and Pitigulia are more than enough, and if the List A two get injured Adrian can be added as emergency cover (god forbid!)

3 Likes

And I thought Goodison Park was a dump!

Good decision IMO. Adrian is in any case unlikely to feature there (and if there was emergency need, he could still be resorted to).

I hope we shall see some performances by Doak this year in Europa League. And if I am correct, Doak can be on the List B in the second half of the season, at least from March on, as he signed for Liverpool in the early days of March 2021 (and would be thus on the club’s books for 2 years already). So we have a room for another potential addition in January (or to register Adrian for the second half of the season, which shall not be necessary, I guess).

1 Like